“Absolutely Fantastic”
other traveller has booked this property

Review of Gainsboro (WAG485)

This substantial Victorian terraced property is within walking distance of town facilities
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Both sitting rooms are comfortably furnished
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Steven B
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Absolutely Fantastic”
Reviewed 9 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015

We arrived at 3pm, got the key and walked in. I was immediately impressed with how clean the place was and it felt very welcoming. The kids ran up to see their bedroom and picked their beds. We got the kettle on and had a look around. The property had everything we needed including things we weren't expecting like a dishwasher and tumble dryer. It's been nicely done out and retained plenty of older features.
The house gets plenty of light in and the downstairs has loads of room due to two living rooms and kitchen / dining area. We spent ages in the kitchen playing games (our own and those found at the house) although we spent most days out of the house.
On the first day we had a walk through the village and crossed the river where we got an ice cream from the little cafe and then the kids played in the park for ages.
There are two supermarkets, a Co-op and Spar which have all you need and there are plenty of other independent shops like butchers and bakers (no candlestick maker) and cafes to try. There are about 4 or 5 pubs but I only visited one, the Pen Y Bryn Hotel and I thought it was great. There are a couple of chip shops and we visited Tir a Mor and the food was as good as the reviews on Trip Advisor suggest.
The local swimming pool is a couple of minutes from the house and it cost just over £10 for 4 of us for what turned out to be an hour with the pool to ourselves. The staff were really nice and the girl at poolside gave my son some fins to put on his feet so he could swim faster than me and she kept timing him which loved.
There's a cycling shop and my one regret is not taking a bike as it is a brilliant place to ride with smooth roads and drivers that don't seem intent on pushing you off a cliff. The Tour of Britain is going through Llanrwst again this year and it's easy to see why.
I went for a couple of runs and within a mile you're climbing into the Snowdonia national park which is beautiful. Running along to the sound and sight of waterfalls and wildlife was pretty special. That area also contains mountain bike trails and is also good for walking.
There is loads to do nearby, much of it within 30 miles. There's the tree top adventure high ropes course about 2 miles away. Portmeirion (where they filmed The Prisoner) was a great day out which we all loved, King Arthur's Labyrinth, Swallow Falls at Betws Y Coed, Llandudno - a lot better than we expected with loads to do, Conwy Castle (Caernarfon Castle not far off either) Chester zoo was only an hours drive and obviously Mount Snowdon. There are too many things to list them all here but if you like being outdoors or underground you'll never be short of something to do.
I would be happy to stay at Gainsboro again and the people there were very friendly. The lady who's the caretaker chatted to us quite a bit and was very helpful.
I have lived in places for years and not looked back as I walked away but I had such a good time at Gainsboro that I was genuinely sad to leave.

How easy was it to book the property? Overall condition of the property
Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The house felt like a home from home.
Liked least: A tiny minority of the locals get a bit too excited on a weekend and while they don't seem to cause trouble they can wake you up as they go home.
Travelling group: Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Older travelers Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing