Reviews (1 092)
1 092 results
All reviews historic hotel olde world lounge bar four poster bed treatment rooms steam room and sauna relaxing break homemade biscuits lovely hotel garden room course dinner birthday treat steeped in history cowdray park couple of nights cooked breakfast south downs
339 - 344 of 1 092 reviews
Reviewed 24 January 2017

My husband booked us an overnight stay with afternoon tea, evening meal and a massage. As always when staying here the room was impeccable, the service great and the staff polite, friendly and helpful. A wonderful birthday treat!

Room tip: Have stayed here before + believe all rooms to be elegant + to a high standard
Date of stay: January 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
5  Thank bluebarn
Reviewed 24 January 2017

Very pleasant and friendly staff.
The food looked very good, but I just wanted a quick bite so headed out and there is lots of choice around. Homely feel with open fires and warm cozy lounges. Very British I imagine its well liked by tourists.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
4  Thank paul e
Reviewed 23 January 2017

Although I do not live far away from the Eagle,i was lucky enough to stay here for a spa break. Have to say the staff were fantastic and could do no more to help . The food, room, spa facility's were excellent although the gym was on the small side,but adequate. Came back today feeling completely relaxed. What more can you ask for a real gem If visiting Midhurst.

The only negative I can give is folk having to walk through the restaurant when people are eating. I felt not only uncomfortable when folk were eating going through with my bags,but also when I was eating . Unfortunately though not sure what they can do about it due to the layout of the building.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank midhurstman10
Reviewed 23 January 2017

We stayed for one night at this place as a bit of a last minute destination but we would highlly recommend it. Midhurst is a beautiful place with lots of history to look at as you walk around the town. The hotel staff are very welcoming, friendly and polite and the public spaces are well looked after and dark and cosy at a wintery time of year. They have lots of open fires but there are a few drafts which is only to be expected in such an old building. Our rooms were fine but could do with a bit of updating and modernising. To be honest, it didn't really matter too much as everything else was so fantastic. We enjoyed a trip to the spa which has a decent sized pool, steam room and sauna and I love the Temple Spa products they use. We enjoyed a drink in the bar which has a real old English Country pub feel and we enjoyed our dinner which was really delicious. Breakfast was also fantastic. I would recommend a trip here but don't come for the fantastic bedrooms.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
6  Thank Julia M
Reviewed 21 January 2017

We like all three of the hotels in the group, but my favourite food is served here. Breakfast was a thing of beauty, even vodka on the 'help yourself' table, wtih the makings for a bloody mary. The devil is in the detail - the lightest most buttery croissants, fresh even late on at the 10am end of breakfast time. My hot breakfast was perfectly cooked to order. We had dinner on both days of our 'bargain' stay (40% off via an offer for January stays). Ingredients are top class. Massive portions of smoked salmon, the softest brioche under unctuous foie gras....and not a bad choice of mains on the inclusive deal (£38 per head towards dinner). Service was very good. all round, though it did get busy and the barman could be spread thin, but the waiting staff were incredibly helpful and welcoming.
I have a bad back and wasn't thrilled with the softer bed in 'Ambersham', and found the room a little cramped for a twin, but we saw 'gardens' a room at the end wing of the hotel, though the bar, which was much larger and had firmer beds. Don't let my bad back put you off staying, it's a lovely hotel and the spa pools are great too. If you like an ancient building nicely furnished with antiques, in a picturesque location, it's a perfect base to be spoiled in.

Room tip: ask for a larger room eg 'gardens' if you want space to work in the room and firmer beds.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple