Braemar Hotel Shanklin(Shanklin)(Great Value!)
US$89
Priceline
US$118
Priceline
TripAdvisor
All reviewssnooker roomrobinsons holidayscoach holidaydriver paulindoor bowlscoach partiesthe cliffisle of wightmeal timesevening meal at breakfastdining roomtable tennisswimming poolpremier roomroom was largeolder generationosborne house
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed here June 2018 with friends& although it does need up-dating, we couldn't ask for a better service during our stay. The staff are all friendly & helpful & although it seems mainly to cater for coach parties in large numbers, the service in the dining area was better than many other hotels we've stayed at. Plenty of variety with meals, & as a fussy eater I was still able to eat very well. For the price, friendly staff & any problems attended to swiftly, we would definitely go back there.

Room Tip: Sea facing views are lovely
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Holdsworth-Hotels, Public Relations Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear Sandra B,

Thank you for your positive feedback. All your comments will be passed onto our staff. Thanks again and hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed in this hotel at the beginning of June with my partially disabled mother in law. Before I booked I checked with the hotel about her room and requested a walk in shower as she has walking difficulties. She had a beautiful room with a lovely sea view and the requested shower. The difficulties were with the main public areas. Stairs everywhere! To go to the restaurant she needed to get out of her wheelchair ( which she can only do with great difficulty) shuffle onto the chairlift - go down 6 stairs = then get out back into wheelchair down a slope then faced with another short flight of stairs so the procedure all over again whilst being watched by an audience! The lift does not stop on all floors which causes the problem. We were in the lower restaurant ( we did ask to go into the other part of the restaurant which would have been easier but were refused) To go to the loo from restaurant would involve going up in the lift then back on stairlift into a ladies loo that didn’t seem to have a disabled toilet ( I did find one in the end cubicle that did have a grab rail but so sign on door to give this information. I did ask the young man on reception if it would be a good idea to put up a notice but this never happened) then chairlift etc! The lift does not reach the lower floor which had a good variety of snooker, bowls etc. She wouldn’t have been able to participate but would have liked to watch. All in all I would like to warn anyone that is wheelchair bound to avoid this hotel as mother in law felt humiliated and shattered after staying here. I feel we should have been advised of the difficulties when I requested the shower room as they then knew she was disabled. My husband and I did not get the room we booked because the hotel was overbooked but that is a whole new story!

Stayed: June 2018
2  Thank ponting77
Holdsworth-Hotels, General Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear ponting77,

Thank you for your review regarding our disabled facilities. Your feedback is very important to us. We are always looking to improve our facilities and your comments have been gratefully noted. Sorry for any inconvenience that may have been caused.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Firstly a relatiive who is a group organiser and has taken numerous trips to this and other hotels booked this as a treat to us along with himself and his partner. Since tha last visit the hotel management has changed. We were all extremely disappointed with the standards of this hotel, we had to ask for one of the rooms to be changed as it was totally unacceptable, extreamly dated with an over the bath shower. Overall the rooms were clean and spacious but in dire need of updating, beds were very hard, also had to report electrical socket coming away from the wall, which in fairness was repaired straight away, toilet seat did not fit properly. The bar and restaurant were clean and spacious, communal toilets left a lot to be desired again in need of modernisation. Snooker room was extreamly stuffy as no windows or air conditioning, had to prop the door open to allow ventilation. The biggest disappointment was the food which was absolutely atrocious reminded me of school dinners many years ago when they were really bad! Over cooked, undercooked small portions no presentation just thrown on the plate, cheap and cheerful lowest quality food. Breakfast was just about passable and there was not enough choice for vegetarians, on the first morning I had asked for vegetarian sausage and when it arrived was advised it was the last one! The hotel has a lift, however there are numerous steps on all floors which is not good for anyone with mobility problems. On the plus side the staff all seemed very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Check amenities in the room prior to booking
Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pauline G
Holdsworth-Hotels, Director of Sales at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Pauline,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to give us feedback.

I would like to personally apologise for the issues with the food.
Unfortunately there was a personal problem with our chef so the kitchen was
running on minimal staff at the time.

I understand that this is a hotel issue and not something that should be
felt by our guests. During the three days we did everything we could,
including hiring relief chefs and working in the kitchen myself to ensure
that a suitable service was delivered.

We have over 100 bedrooms and have an ongoing refurbishment program and also
two full time maintenance men keeping on top of our day to day tasks.

I am sorry that we fell short on this occasion and can only hope that you
give us another chance to put it right. If this be the case please feel free
to contact me and I will do all I can to ensure you get a nice room and are
looked after on your next visit.

I was pleased that you found our hotel clean and the staff friendly.

Yours sincerely,
Andy

Reviewed 12 June 2018

We went to this hotel on a Robinson's 5 day coach trip and shared a twin room. The whole experience was good value for money - hotel and excursions. Coach driver (John) pleasant, informative, and considerate.

Mainly senior citizens which is fine but I did feel that considering the main clientele were not in the first flush of youth (many needing walking sticks etc. ) it was a shame that there are so many stairs and the lift is full if is has 4 passengers in - especially not good on the day that you are leaving as the lift was full of cases all the time.

The room we had was great - large and clean with comfortable beds, plenty of wardrobe-space, a big shower and a balcony. We weren't able to get sea view rooms as there were none left. Not a necessity but would have been nice rather than overlooking the car park - but no complaints as not noisy as coaches were parked there for the night. The balcony was big enough for its purpose.

The hotel doesn't have air conditioning or wi-fi but to the main clientele this is not a necessity.

We had to sit at the same table each morning and evening which was a bind but I can understand it makes life easier when there are so many in the restaurant. Our waitress was very pleasant and efficient. Breakfast was fine - nice to have the porridge option. Dinner felt a bit like school dinners but I think that was just because it felt a bit regimented. Overall the food was fine and as a vegetarian I was catered for ok.

Packed lunches were available and good value and sandwiches were freshly made.

Hotel staff were all pleasant and effiecient and it was appreciated to have a member of staff attend the coach at the beginning and end of our visit to welcome us and then thank us for our visit.

Location is excellent for exploring Shanklin. The lift to the beach is just across the road from the hotel front entrance and costs £1.50 for a return trip (or you could walk!). Nice beach front to walk along with some attractions and benches available (or you could hire deck chairs etc.).

There are frequent buses not far away to get to all destinations and local shops are plentiful.

We didn't get time to visit the pool which is a shame but maybe next time.

Room Tip: I would advise when booking if you are infirm so a suitalbe room can be allocated
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Holdsworth-Hotels, General Manager at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Ruth H,
Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us. We are really pleased you enjoyed your time at The Ocean View! We will hopefully see you again soon

Reviewed 9 June 2018

Went her for a two day special which included dinner with bottle of wine and breakfast on both days, went with another couple who, like us are in their forties.
The hotels locations is brilliant right above Shanklin but next to the lift down to the beach, the rooms are a little dated but well kept and attended daily.
Reception experience was great and the young man who greeted us very friendly.
Breakfast was good with full English or lighter options available and the service was good in the dining room.
Downsides for us was the dinner that we did not feel was great and a bit school dinner like although considering the overall cost we we’re not too disappointed just ate away from hotel next night.
Also this is coach trip heaven and the average age of fellow residents was high seventies which was not a problem but the hotel didn’t seem to, not surprisingly, provide for that age group, bIngo first night activity and some singalong thing second night !.
Some lovely pubs in Shanklin on the front and in the old bit so if bingo I still not your thing or singing ‘Pack up your troubles’ then head off to explore Shanklin

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris E

Dear Chris E,
Thank you for your review of The Ocean View and your positive feedback. All your comments will be passed on to our hotel staff. Hope to see you again soon!