“Very average”

Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

These places never fail to disappoint. I guess on the upside the staff were friendly and very attentive. All very straight forward and easy to order.
Food arrived in good time, was hot and most of it well presented. Sons over 5s meal looked like a 70s school dinner, dry and bland. Daughter's pasta was bland and couldn't find the Bolognese it was meant to come with. My burger was over cooked and dry but just about edible. My partners chilly was lacking any chilly in it.
It was cheap enough but I think the kitchen team need better training. Atmosphere was fine but a waitress turned on tv with football on it at full blast right by our table. Took them 10 minutes to turn it down. We wanted to download the £5 off voucher, we did but once downloaded t's and c's said only available Monday to Friday. No where on the website, before down loading, does it say this. We might return for a cheap meal but don't count on it.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Went with the wife and youngest child a couple of weeks ago,when I was unable to get in to work due to the snow.
Needless to say it was extremely busy. First thing that impressed us was the extensive menu .............settled on an Indian dish, and when I went to the counter was told it was unavailable as they had run out of poppadoms. Could I have the meal without poppadoms I enquired and was met with a rather curt "no!" Ordered an alternative, but was told after I'd ordered and paid, that there would be a 45 minute wait on the food. Although we weren't in a hurry, I feel this could have been explained before ordering.
When the food arrived (roughly 45 minutes) I have to say it was very pleasant .......so no criticisms on that front.
I appreciate on the day in question, they were very busy and quite probably understaffed.However, judging from previous reviews some customer service training wouldn't go amiss.
So all in all the food gets a thumbs-up, but sadly the overall dining experience was somewhat let-down by the rudeness of the staff. However, this would not put me off from eating in there again.

Reviewed 27 March 2018

We were in the area visiting family and my sister-in-law suggested the ship as a cheap meal option. She visits often and had faith that it would be enjoyable for everyone. She was very disappointed to see that it was not the usual service or standard of food she had come to expect. We did arrive later in the evening than she usually would but that's no excuse for our experience. The service was poor and the quality of the food was terrible. We waited a long time for our food and whilst waiting we had to listen to the table next to us complain several times about their food. If we hadn't already ordered and paid then we would have left. The food was certainly not worth the wait. My husband never leaves any of his food but he left the majority of the food he was served. He had ordered a burger, stating that you can't really go wrong with a burger. He couldn't have been more wrong and was bitterly disappointed. Other members of our group had also ordered burgers and felt the same. The meat had been overcooked, was rubbery and impossible to eat. I had the cod and chips with mushy peas. The mushy peas were stone cold and after eventually finding a staff member, I sent them back. It was evident that they had reheated them in the microwave when they returned them to me. The cod was served with fries, not chips. Don't advertise the meal as cod and chips if you are not serving cod and chips! It is safe to say that we will not be returning here next time we are in the area.

1  Thank nMj27
Reviewed 6 March 2018

Ate here 3 times in February due to being stuck in the snow. First night was fine, second night we had booked a certain table online but no one had bothered to check the emails so had to sit elsewhere. It was very busy and the food came within half an hour. However, on the third visit our booked table was again not available, we ordered our food and 15 minutes later was told that my order was out of stock, I chose an alternative and waited a further 45 minutes. When I asked how much longer it would be the guy carried on working while talking to me and not addressing me properly. He informed me that the chef had worked all day! Excuse me but that is not my problem! We were not offered an opology of any description. I was given the impression he just wanted the day to end. The young girls and guys serving were polite as was one guy behind the bar (Matt I think) the other guy who appeared to be the manager needs to go on a refresher course on customer relations. To finish, the food was fine when it finally arrived.

1  Thank steven j
Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

After spending s couple if days indoors due to the snow, we had previously booked The Ship for a family get together. Unfortunately, the family were still snowed in but we were able to walk there - bonus!
We were concerned that there would be a restrooms on the menu, but they appeared to have everything available.
The pub was very busy. Many people had had the day off work due to the weather.
The food was good, although there was a fair wait - not entirely unexpected.
Hope to return soon, with the family in tow.