All reviews student accommodation guided tour free tour harry potter palace green flights of stairs amazing location no lift twin room short stay reception staff following morning four poster bed full english yogurt university tapestries
Reviewed 15 September 2018

Room was very comfortable but basic no tv as our room was above the great hall it was very noisy as there were functions on both nights but they did finish about 10. The staff were very helpful and pleasant.

Room tip: Do not stay in H3
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2018

Our GPS directed us to twisty narrow drive up to the castle . We were confused about what to do and where to park because the small square was closed off to cars. A kind person showed us where there was a button to press to reach the campus traffic people. When we explained that we were staying at the castle, the post blocking the way lowered into the ground so that we could pass and park. The porter was very helpful in directing us to our room and recommended that we take a tour, which we did. The room was great.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2018

Our room was high up within the castle so we had quite a few stairs to contend with but that didn't detract from our visit. I was expecting a little more from the room having stayed at other castles in the past but given that this is primarily student accommodation I can see why the bells and whistles weren't included.

The breakfast was very tasty and locally sourced.

The fabulous Cathedral is basically next door and as you leave the green there are bars and restaurants at within touching distance.

All in all this was a great overnight stay for us and a very confortable sleep.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2018 via mobile

Whilst we understand that this is a heritage site and that this limits what can be provided. There is so much more that can be done and in our opinion, should be done, to improve the quality of the stay of paying guests.

Our room was up 3 big flights of stairs which were difficult to negotiate with our bags. No assistance was offered.

The door handle was hanging off. There was no TV in the room. The beds were uncomfortable. I could go on.

Breakfast was ok

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2018

Although the Castle opens for individual B&B bookings during student vacations, my wife and I recently spent two wonderful nights at the Castle for a wedding, at which the venue excels. Wonderful grounds, impressive hall, lovely people, and surprisingly good food. The University prides itself on sourcing locally; breakfast dishes were accompanied by their provenance, and the wedding breakfast was one of the best examples of mass catering I've encountered.

You've got to remember, though, that the Castle is basically a student residence and despite its 5 star location - on the same Green as Durham Cathedral - though the only real quibble I (and others) had was the lack of pressure from the shower - gentle rain and the like is all very good if you don't have a brolly, but I like my showers with a lot more oomph.

On the other hand, the staff were fantastic, extremely friendly and helpful, and if I could do so, I'd give a full six stars for service.

Recycling is strongly encouraged, too, and I only wish more hotels were as concerned.

Overall, however, I'm giving the Castle only 4 stars because it really does suffer from accessibility issues. However, if you or your (wedding) party do not, then I have no hesitation in recommending the Castle.

Date of stay: August 2018