“Fantastic”

Wizard Bus Tour
Ranked #2 of 34 things to do in Durham
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Durham Cathedral has been a place of worship, welcome and hospitality for almost one thousand years. We rely on donations, and we suggest you give £3 per person to support the Cathedral's future. Located at the heart of the Durham UNESCO World Heritage Site, Durham Cathedral is one of the finest examples of Romanesque architecture in Europe. Built in 1093, the Cathedral is famous as the Shrine of St Cuthbert and the resting place of the Venerable Bede. Durham Cathedral also boasts the most intact surviving set of medieval monastic buildings in the UK. These spectacular spaces house Open Treasure, a world-class visitor experience which reveals the remarkable story of Durham Cathedral and its incredible collections through temporary and permanent exhibits for visitors of all ages. Charges apply to group tours, public tours and Open Treasure.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

My favourite walk to go on a Sunday.every Sunday me and my husband go walk around and have a tea in the cafe to. Fantastic staff and the building is just stunning

1  Thank Lisa1781
Write a ReviewReviews (6 004)
All reviews
"gift shop"
in 130 reviews

328 - 332 of 6 004 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2018

Durham Cathedral is an amazing building in a perfect location.

It has existed for close to 1000 years, and has legitimate claims to be one of the great building of Europe.

It hosts numerous events, and when we visited (Monday 25th June) it was being prepared for the university graduations. We enjoyed our visit, but I have to say it was somewhat spoilt by the fact that the cathedral had all but shut to tourists because of the graduation.

There were substantial parts of the building shut off, and no guided tours.

I understand totally the use for the Durham University graduation ceremony itself, but I don't understand why there were no guided tours the day before, or why so much of the building was out of bounds simply to install a PA system at the front, or to move chairs around (slowly I should add during our visit).

It does seem to me that the authorities took the “easy way out” - “we need access to the front for an hour or so, OK, shut the cathedral all day”.

Between average and good really.

1  Thank Stu151
Reviewed 27 June 2018

A fantastic building and the location is lovely, as were the people that I met. I suppose I spent about an hour in the cathedral itself before exploring the grounds. I then visited the cafe across from the cathedral to partake of a fruit scone with lots of jam and clotted cream, superb.

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

My sister has been at Durham university and I always love coming to the cathedral when I meet up with her. It is the must see place in Durham in my opinion