Reviews (2 419)
2 419 results
1 269
1 269
All reviews the black knight restaurant library bar courtyard room elizabethan banquet afternoon tea murder mystery cream tea four poster bed chester le street groupon deal scones cricket ground evening meal eggs benedict special occasion wedding venue waiting staff
117 - 122 of 2 419 reviews
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

I would give this hotel zero stars if I could. Having stayed here preciously we decided it was a great location to book two rooms for my graduation. My dad is unable to walk unaided or walk upstairs and as such we requested an accessible room. When I first emailed I just mentioned walking difficulties and the necessity for a walk in shower. This email was never responded to and so I called (months in advance) to speak to someone. By this stage his condition had deteriorated and I require an accessible room. I made it clear there could be no step into the shower as he struggled to step upwards. This was confirmed the day before arrival again. When we arrived his room was so small it could not fit his frame and he could not get to the bed or bathroom and the shower had a step up into it. We went to reception where they told us someone else had taken this room and they could not move him to a more suitable room as all the rooms available that night were the same, or required him to walk up stairs. I appreciate the nature of the hotel means not all rooms can be accessible but we called and confirmed several times and would not have booked if not available. I was told "your email didn't detail his requirements", but no one answered that email and all details were discussed on the phone. At this point, as it was graduation week, everywhere in the local vicinity was fully booked. The hotel did not once offer to help us find alternative accommodation, even though we do not know the area very well and instead just stood behind reception audibly discussing the situation. We were left distressed, and my father embarrassed, by the situation as we desperately tried to find alternative accommodation as they had either lied to us about the accessibility of the room or given the room requested to someone else. We managed to find a hotel (at twice the price due to the late notice) for the first night but then had to drive down to York straight from my graduation, missing out on my graduation dinne and unable to stay for the celebrations. So while I did not stay here this time, the lack of regard for disability here was absolutely disgusting and I would warn anyone with access requirements to avoid.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank rolypoly2018
Management response:Responded 12 July 2018

Dear rolypoly2018

Thank you for your feedback, we are disappointed we didn’t meet your expectations during this visit. For information, we are listed on disabledgo.com who have visited our hotel and featured our hotel’s accessible facilities for our disabled guests. Given that our hotel is a 630-year-old castle this is something we feel very proud to have achieved. Whilst we do have only 1 fully accessible room for guests with wheelchairs we also recognise the accessibility needs for guests who do not require a room designed for wheelchair users. I do feel that the communication between our reservations department and yourselves did not establish your exact requirements and as a result the room you were allocated did not appear to be suitable.

Whilst we sincerely apologise for any distress caused to your father, we do feel your comments our “lack or regard for disability” are unfounded and simply not true.

guest.services@lumleycastle.com

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

Had to make visit to Durham for open University Day so travelled up day before to stay at Lumley Castle for one night with my daughter. Hotel very staff very efficient and welcoming. Stayed in courtyard suite and was upgraded to a slightly larger room. Restaurant staff offered an excellent service especially at breakfast in the morning. Overall very comfortable stay and would definitely return.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Max S

Dear Max S,

Thank you for your wonderful review, it was a pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay, it was even more pleasing to read you thought the staff, the service and the bedroom where excellent. We look forward to welcoming you back to Lumley Castle Hotel and hope you enjoyed your visit to Durham University.

guest.services@lumleycastle.com

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

A lovely setting and an old castle with some interesting history.

Stayed in courtyard rooms which was a little small but comfy bed, good bathroom, but dark room with poor lighting.

Hotel is dark, old but good quality food and drink.

Had a nice stay.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business

Dear Ray131262,

It was fantastic to read your review about the hotel and you thought the hotel was a lovely setting, apologies you thought the hotel was dark in area, we do try and keep the ambiance and atmosphere of a castle however we gladly take on your comments for review. We do hope you will return to Lumley Castle Hotel and look forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed 24 June 2018

My wife and I stayed at Lumley castle for the second time in the middle of April 2018. It’s a castle – a real one built over 600 years ago. It is set in large grounds adjacent to the local golf course close to Chester le Street. We stayed for two nights in a room within the castle itself directly over the entrance. The décor included a four-poster bed. The rest of the hotel was well decorated but is showing a little age – unsurprisingly as keeping this type of building in good repair is challenging.
We ate in the hotel on both nights, as we had on our previous visit. It’s a lovely restaurant with a good menu and the food was excellent. The staff are attentive but far from over bearing. We had drinks in the bar which is comfortable and again the staff were excellent.
Breakfast was including in our deal and this is taken in the restaurant, again an excellent choice served to the table rather than a buffet.
Overall we again enjoyed our stay and will repeat it again with the aim of visiting more of the surrounding area.

Stayed: April 2018

Dear klh939,

We are delighted to read your review and thrilled to hear you enjoyed your meal on both evenings in our restaurant and the breakfast the following morning was excellent, our Head Chef will be delighted. Upon your return please let us know and we can arrange some information about the surrounding areas.

Reviewed 24 June 2018

The hotel is an incredible place giving a real feel of an olde wordecastle. Could not be more genuine and both the rooms and the service were great...but...We booked an evening event , Elizabethan banquet. The whole thing was very poor. Around 200 people crammed into a small area only big enough for half thisnumber. Crowded into a tiny bar area with little chance of a drink. Crowded like sardines in a very uncomfortable fashion and the eventual banquet just the same. No room to move without disrupting people either side and only inches from people behind. It seemed that making a bigger profit was a priority rather than guest satisfaction. Most people we saw had similar views and this will not result in return visits. A comfortable and fun event should be the priority., not just greed.

Stayed: June 2018
Management response:Responded 1 July 2018

Dear johnhaywoodandsandra,

Thank you for your review regarding your stay at Lumley Castle Hotel, we where please to hear you thought the castle was genuine and the rooms and service were great, it was disappointing to hear you did not enjoy the Elizabethan Banquet. We have looked though all of your points and have passed them onto the management for review, we appreciate all feedback, this helps us improve our service for the guest’s journey.