“Fantastic Fish and Chips”
Review of The Pelican

The Pelican
Ranked #18 of 158 Restaurants in Barnstaple
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Number 1 in the UK! Passionate about the food we serve, we are very proud to hold the award for the Best Fish and Chip Restaurant 2018 and voted one of the UK TOP 10 Fish and Chip restaurants by Fry Magazine! MSC certified and holders of the NFFF Quality award we also gained a gold award from Taste of the West for the local sourcing of our ingredients. Family run and family friendly with hospitable and knowledgable staff, great menu choices at value for money prices we offer top notch fish and chips in a stylish contemporary setting. A warm welcome awaits!
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Whenever you visit you can always be sure that your fish and chips are extremely tasty......good size portions too...service with a smile.... premises clean and facilities well maintained....Definitely visit for a tasty treat, whatever time of the year.... Have visited many times and have never been disappointed.....Enjoy!!

2  Thank gemini0987

Reviewed 26 June 2018

Finally got around to trying the Pelican and Can't believe we left it so long.
Fresh, non greasy food and a price that is to be expected for such quality.
It was having at1900 hours on a Saturday night so be prepared to queue.
Staff exceptional and always smiling

1  Thank AReid2013
Reviewed 26 June 2018

We ate in the Pelican restaurant at about 8:30pm one evening and enjoyed a top quality fish & chip supper!

The restaurant which has been built & subsequently extended next to the takeaway was very bright and clean and the young lady who looked after us was very warm & friendly. It was nice to sit down rather than take our takeaway off to eat in the car and it was also an advantage to have cold drinks from the bar.

Our meals came quite quickly, were piping hot and both proved to be of a very high quality. I'd go as far as to say that my haddock was possibly the best I've enjoyed in many years!

It's also worth noting that the toilets upstairs were perhaps the nicest and cleanest we experienced whilst in North Devon so someone at the Pelican deserves a pat on the back for that too, whilst now being able to park off-road in the extended car park is also a bonus.

In summary, we had a thoroughly enjoyable meal so much so that I am quite sure we'll do it again next time we're in the locality.

1  Thank Seamo
Reviewed 25 June 2018

I have got out the habit of reviewing places on my first visit just in case it’s a one hit wonder but I have eaten here a few times now and can only say excellent every time so far. For me fish and chips can be very hit and miss, i.e. I like the idea and then disappointed. Here however has been excellent every time, nice no lovely big pieces of fish, pure white in an awesome batter that’s not swimming in oil, chips are fantastic too and mushy peas bang on. I really can’t think of anywhere I’ve had better. The special is enough but if you have a big apatite then the cod is huge and with an offer of more free chips if you finish your serving and want more. Fish and chips at its best with a beer if you sit inside and if you can get a table. Staff great too nothing seemingly too much trouble. No wonder they have won awards awesome, please keep it up. Didn't catch a photo but will do next time I'm there.

1  Thank Dan B
Reviewed 24 June 2018

This restaurant was given an award. Not sure what we missed. Ordered fish and chips and a vegetarian burger. The burger was not nice. It just tasted overly deep fried and was topped with onion rings that tasted of nothing but over fried food. My daughter threw away the fish. Maybe it was a bad day for them or different staff since their award but we were not impressed.