Reviews (1 097)
1 097 results
All reviews beatrix potter afternoon tea lovely hotel travelzoo deal course dinner country house hotel lake district scones on arrival small pool deluxe room turn down service window seat log fire amuse bouche no lift superb food
34 - 39 of 1 097 reviews
Reviewed 9 August 2018 via mobile

Poor for a rosette establishment. Steak fatty and swimming in butter. Veg soft and swimming in butter. My husband meal was the same. We did tell the waitress and chef paid for our drinks. I was disappointed as we had travelled 40 miles for this plus my initial glass of wine was corked.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank 848Jacqui
TonyHolden, Front Office Manager at Lindeth Howe, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2018

Dear 848Jacqui,

Thank you for your review of Lindeth Howe. We appreciate all feedback that we receive as it helps us improve our services where we may have fallen short.

I am sorry to hear of your experience in our restaurant. This is not the high standards to which we pride ourselves on here at Lindeth Howe. I would like to ask that you contact our Head Chef - Chris Davies so that he can provide a full investigation into your meal. If you could please contact him on chris@lindeth-howe.co.uk with the details of your restaurant reservation, he will then speak you directly about this.

Again, I apologise about your restaurant experience with us.

I do hope this does not deter you from visiting us again where you will experience the high standard that we pride ourselves on.

Samantha Short

Reviewed 6 August 2018

Revisited this impressive hotel for a short break. It has had an expensive refurbishment; very professionally done, with a Beatrix Potter theme, including a specially woven lounge carpet. White background, almost afraid to walk on it! Dinner was well cooked and stylish, and very enjoyable, as was breakfast. We had ground floor rooms, wheelchair accessible and very comfortable, with a wet room. No safe or refrigerator, but this is a minor point. Sad maybe to see that the swimming pool has gone, but there is now a stylish casual dining area. Good to see that high standards are being upheld.

Room tip: Best views probably to the rear of the hotel. There is no lift.
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Snipenose

Dear Snipenose,

Thank you for your review of Lindeth Howe. We appreciate all feedback that we receive as it helps us target areas of our service that may need improvement.

I am glad to hear that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us recently.

Our management team worked closely with a local team of interior designers to create the new look of Lindeth Howe. They have taken our ideas and turned them into the creation that we now have in our public areas. Incorporating the old traditional style of the house, along with the history of the building and bringing it into the present! There is always something different that catches your eye when you walk into the rooms, especially our unique carpet in the bar/ lounge area.
We have removed our leisure area, but we have created a beautiful stylish casual dining area for everyone to enjoy.

Our ground floor rooms, are all newly refurbished and are perfect for disabled access! They also double up as pet friendly accommodation with easy access into our gardens with their own private entrance. We are currently looking at putting a small fridge and safes in all room grades.

Again, Thank you for your amazing review and we look forward to welcoming you back for your next stay.

Reviewed 6 August 2018

What a quaint lovable place to stay for a few days. The rooms are large and inviting with views of the garden, quiet and peaceful. The common areas are very well done with a small bar to slake your thirst. Afternoon tea in the Garden was a once in a lifetime delight. A bit expensive, but my Mum thought it was worth every penny (all rooms above ground floor with no lift, so some ambulation needed).

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank jenehr

Dear jenehr,

Thank you for your review of Lindeth Howe.

I am happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your visit to us.

We are lucky to be situated within our own 6 acres of rolling gardens, where there is a place for everyone. They are so quiet and tranquil that you can forget the world outside of Lindeth Howe and truly relax.
Our Afternoon Tea is lovingly handmade and freshly by our very talented pastry chef, who loves to make everyone happy with cake!

Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 2 August 2018

I would really love to have given this hotel 5 stars. Its setting is beautiful - walking distance from Bowness on Windemere but far enough away to be quiet and secluded with beautiful grounds. We booked a 2 night stay which included dinner in the restaurant on both nights and afternoon tea on one day, as well as breakfast.
Our superior room, number 211, was spacious and we could catch a glimpse of Lake Windemere from the window. It was well equipped, although it was a shame the coffee machine wasn't working. We clearly followed the instructions to make a Nespresso (having a similar machine at home) but even the 'long' button only dispensed about 10ml of coffee at a time. This was reported to Elaine on reception who informed us later the head housekeeper told her that model requires a few pushes off the button to get a full cup - surely not 10 -15 pushes of the button? Why not just say the coffee machine was not working properly instead of fobbing us off - we resorted to instant coffee for the rest of the stay.
Whoever designed the refit of the downstairs of this property has done a wonderful job, its very quirky but I really liked it and it made a change from the often stuffy hotel lounges I have experienced. The carpet with its animal print is a must see.
Our dinner on the first night was wonderful - cooked to perfection. My only niggle was that Camila came over to offer us a bread roll whilst we were waiting for our starter. She told us she had one brown roll left and I asked if I could have it. Unfortunately she dropped it on the floor whilst serving it to me, so she said she would get another one. My husband asked if he could then also have a brown roll. Our starter arrived, no roll, our main course arrived, still no roll, when Camila came to clear our main course plates she told us the bread was now ready - did we still want it? We didn't at this point - it would have been nice to have been informed how long the wait was and then we could have decided if we wanted an alternative.
Afternoon tea on day 2 (photo attached) was again fabulous. I was specifically asked about my dietary requirements by our helpful South African waiter - unfortunately I didn't get his name. I had stated my dietary requirements on the 'special requirements' of our booking which are that I am vegetarian and also cannot eat goats cheese, blue cheese or pesto as I am intolerant to them. Our waiter went through all this information and our tea, which we took outside in the glorious weather in a wonderful setting, was perfect.
Our dinner on the second night was, sadly a different experience to the first night. Again, we ordered whilst seated in the bar having canapés. Due to limited choice for vegetarians (that do not involve goats or blue cheese) I ordered the same starter as the first night. However, for main rather than the tasty pea and mint risotto of the previous evening, I ordered a fricassee of new potatoes on a celeriac puree topped with a soft poached egg and sprinkled with pine nuts and parmesan. I have posted photos of mine any my husband's main courses - he ordered seabass - and quite honestly they don't look as though they came from the same kitchen. At first glance I thought I had been served deep fried potato wedges with sour cream, the 'sour cream' was the egg, which, incidentally although poached correctly, had a large amount of shell in it. What was more concerning was the green sludge and pool of oil these potatoes had been served on. I had a few mouthfuls of the dish and something did not taste quite right so I left it. When our waiter came to clear our plates he asked if everything was ok and I told him it wasn't. He sent the Restaurant Manager, Sunil, to see me. I told him my dinner did not look very appetising, something in it tasted very strange and I was beginning to feel unwell. He went to enquire in the kitchen and returned to tell me 'the chef thought you may like to try Jersey Royal potatoes'. I cant think why the chef would think that - to this point his cooking was good but we had never met! I enquired as to what the green sludge was and was told it 'was herbs'. On further enquiry, bearing in mind I told the manager I had a photo on my phone, I was told it was pesto. There was absolutely no mention of pesto on the menu - every other single ingredient had been listed, including the sprinkling of half a dozen or so pine nuts. This was one of three items I am intolerant to. Whilst the manager was most apologetic, brought me mint tea outside in the garden, deducted the second night's dinner (although I had only had the canapés and starter) and drinks from our bill this does not make up for the fact that I was vomiting from 10pm to 3.30am as a result of them serving me an ingredient not listed on their menu and something that I had stated at the time of booking I couldn't eat (there was a reason for me mentioning it!). To add further insult Sunil told me he had given the chef the opportunity to come and apologise to me himself but he had declined.
The next morning at 7.30am I was feeling a little better so I asked my husband if he could phone the reception and ask room service to bring me some dry toast. Unbelievably, even on explaining the circumstances, my husband was told it could not be served until 8am as that's when the kitchen opened for breakfast - clearly nobody can use a toaster there before 8am!
As I said at the start of my review, this is a lovely, well presented hotel which, if it were not for the second night incident, I am sure I could have had a fabulously relaxing stay, but unfortunately the kitchen/restaurant team ruined 2 days of my Lake District holiday as that how long it took until I felt well again.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank AndyPandy38
Christopher G D, Manager at Lindeth Howe, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2018

hello and thank you for your review -we are so pleased that you appreciated our lovely hotel -we really do try to our very best for our customers in every way, your comments about the coffee machine have been noted.
The decor really has become a real talking point and is totally unique .
The carpet really has indeed become a "must see" in the area -happy to see you enjoyed it too!
I am so sorry to hear about the shortcomings of your second meal with us. It seems we suffered a communication breakdown at our end- we had tried to make your meal special but did the opposite, my sincere apologies for that.
We have looked at our procedures and wont be making the same mistake again.
If you would care to contact me directly at the hotel I will be happy to discuss the issue further.

Reviewed 31 July 2018 via mobile

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, our room was gorgeous, (we had a deluxe suite)the views were lovely, and it was a nice walk into the town.The staff were friendly and the food was delicious, I would certainly go back.

Trip type: Travelled with family
TonyHolden, Front Office Manager at Lindeth Howe, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2018

Dear robynrich1,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us here at Lindeth Howe.

I am thrilled to hear that you have thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us!

We look forward to welcome you back soon.