“Favourite in Weymouth ”

Price range: US$20 - US$49
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary, International, British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Mallam's is fast becoming Weymouth's go to venue for delicious, innovative modern British cooking, exciting cocktails and carefully selected wines. Our chef has worked and travelled far and wide, including working at the Ivy in London as well as numerous highly esteemed restaurants worldwide. Food is his absolute passion and working with local producers he is creating some of the most exciting menu's to be found in the south west today. Alongside the talented kitchen team, front of house is headed up by Lauren and CJ (a very talented mixologist), both with impressive hospitality backgrounds who will ensure your evening is one to remember. We cater for up to 40 diners, so whether you would like a table for two, a corporate dinner, birthday celebration or perhaps an intimate wedding breakfast we are here to help. We even have a delightful self contained, spacious two bedroom apartment with stunning harbour views.
Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

A favourite restaurant in Weymouth. Every time the food, the cocktails, the wine and the friendly service never fails. I had the rum/lime special cocktail and hubby a Monkey 47 g&t (fever tree) to start. Lovely local bread with a shot of asparagus soup. We had the soft poached duck egg starter which was delicious. Main was the special which was fillets of Gurnard on asparagus and crushed potatoes which was totally gorgeous. After we had finished the tasty Malbec we shared a new pudding which was dark chocolate moose with orange jelly which was also delicious. I had a rum dessert cocktail and hubby finished with an Armagnac and coffee. Book this restaurant when in Weymouth a must.

Date of visit: May 2018
3  Thank dawniepg

Reviewed 25 April 2018

Wow. Just wow. We are serious foodies and love a good independant restaurant. This place is just fabulous. Everything was so well done, balanced, just very very good cooking at a very reasonable price. Had the poached duck egg and the special of Gurnard with smoked mash etc. No, not cheap, but for how good it is, it is exceptional value. good wine list, lovely location and great staff. Had a lovely chat to the owners. It takes real talent to get things so well balanced. If you are in the area and foodies, you simply must go here. Hope the wedding goes well!!!!!!!

2  Thank Ian M
Janice G, Owner at Mallams Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2018

Thank you, so good to hear that you enjoyed it, we will pass on your comments to our staff, they will be thrilled that you had such a great experience. Thanks also your for the kind wishes for our daughter and son-in-law (to be) forthcoming nuptials and supporting a local independent restaurant.

Reviewed 25 April 2018

We ate at Mallams on Saturday April 14th & although the restaurant has a good location, the food was disappointing & the service from the main man with the beard was unacceptable. The restaurant was half full with no-one eating in the rear part & we were seated at a pleasant table for 2 by a front window.
Total bill was £76, including a bottle of wine.
My partner, who’s vegetarian decided on the cheeseboard for main & a dessert.
I started with the £9.95 Portland crab, which although presented nicely with very tasty accompaniments was sadly lacking in flavour. So much so that I discreetly queried the flavour with the bearded man in charge of front of house. Maybe it was just overpowered by the kohirabi & lemon? Or maybe not too fresh?
For main I had fish bouillabaisse “A selection of fish and shellfish in a shellfish sauce served with rouille. £20.95” plus toasted ciabatta @ £1.50.
I ate & saved the langoustine for my last mouthful. However when breaking off the langoustine head a distinctly off odour was emitted & I left the beheaded crustacean on the side of the bowl & discreetly waited for contact until the bearded waiter came over & enquired what was wrong. I explained & he said he would take it to the chef & investigate.
After about 10 minutes the bearded man returned & asked if we would like to order desserts, without any mention of the langoustine. I asked about the langoustine to hear that both he & the chef had tasted it & it was fine. Although I had to ask to elicit a response & after eating & enjoying seafood for many years I can confirm the langoustine was definitely off.
We declined dessert & asked for the bill; which initially included an overcharge for a glass of wine we didn’t have. The overcharge was remedied by the 3rd waiter to serve us on the evening.
On exit we received a surly glance from the bearded waiter & I walked over to our main waitress for the evening & quietly apologised for not leaving a tip due to the behaviour of the bearded man & the disappointing food experience.
Overall a nice location & menu but our food quality was sadly lacking & the service by one staff member was unacceptable.

1  Thank GraemeHertfordshire

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I am very surprised to hear that you thought the service from Marc (the bearded waiter) was below par. He has been in this industry for many years and is an extremely affable and pleasant chap, I have never known him to be surly or rude. I have checked with him about his response to your suggestion that the langoustine was not fresh and he agreed that he didn't come back to you straightaway as he had to attend to another table, but he did speak to you about it in due course.
We have a strict supply chain record with temperatures recorded on delivery which is religiously recorded hence we have retained our five star EHO rating very year. The langoustines and crab had been delivered that day. Bad crab meat will have a sticky texture and a sour smell so I am 100% certain the chef would not have let it leave the kitchen and that you would not have wanted to eat it. You have accused us of selling off produce but what would be the point in us doing so? We have had the restaurant for twenty eight years, we would not have survived producing below par shellfish for our customers. I personally was not there at the time but I do trust my staff to do their jobs and to use your words to Marc, "we will have to agree to disagree" on this matter.

Reviewed 24 April 2018

Knowing before we dined this was going to be a slightly more expensive experience than others in the area, we dressed up and expected fine wine and dining. We were not disappointed. Offered pre-drinks ,which gave us plenty of time to pick through the delectable menu. Myself and my friend enjoyed the delicious crab starter, whilst both our partners had mussels. Huge mussels (which we realised just how big when we had elsewhere on our weekend away) in a lovely sauce. The mains were equally delicious as were the desserts. We even went as far as post dinner drinks. The service was splendid and the manager exceptionally eager to please. Would recommend and return when next in the area. Thank you for a memorable evening.

Date of visit: April 2018

Thank you, we are delighted you enjoyed everything, do come and see us again soon.

Reviewed 23 April 2018

I like Weymouth. Perhaps I am biased because I was born here but I don't get to come down to this wonderful part of the world often enough. Unusually I had a free day and, on a whim, decided to drive down to Dorset as it was such a nice day. Lunchtime arrived and as I walked around the lovely old Harbour, taking in the sights and looking for something good to eat (fish and chips, while nice, was not quite special enough), I came across Mallams Restaurant. The menu outside looked promising and I ventured inside. I chose a fresh mackerel starter, a crab linguine main, washed down with a chilled glass of muscadet. The ambiance was excellent with nice jazz music and the waitress was friendly and professional, and I noted that she took time to see to other customer's dietary requirements. I saw that they also served interesting looking cocktails but, as I was driving, I had to leave that adventure for another day! I was really happy that I choose Mallams and it is definitely a place that I would like to come back to and explore the menu a bit more - perhaps with a few others next time!

Date of visit: April 2018

Thank you so much, do come again without the car and have a cocktail adventure too!