Reviews (1 839)
1 839 results
1 206
1 206
All reviews coach house a garden view room main restaurant heelis suite on arrival salt room lovely hotel the main house jacuzzi bath eden valley deluxe room two night stay dining rooms groupon deal leisure facilities evening meal both mornings
11 - 16 of 1 839 reviews
Reviewed 6 November 2018

51 members of the forum booked into this hotel in August and on our return we have debriefing so that we can plan the next years holiday. This was first time that I only got one complaint and that was they would have liked the chicken to more brown!!! Staff was great, rooms beautiful and food excellent. Thank you

Date of stay: August 2018
1  Thank Justliketravel
Reviewed 5 November 2018 via mobile

The stay at your hotel was pleasant but we were very disappointed to return on Friday evening to still find the glasses, dishes and empty bottle of champagne still in the room.

The towels were not put neatly on the towel rail (not sure if your policy is if to leave the towels where the guest put them) but this is not what we expect from a 4 start hotel. Also having paid a lot of money to stay at the hotel we did not expect to have to pay extra for using the pool, surely this should be part of staying. We did book on the Monday prior to coming to have a massage each on the Thursday as you didn't have any special offers on but when we went into the Spa on Thursday afternoon we found out you had continued the previous offer which cost £74 per person and included lunch and a glass of fizz. Had this been available on the Monday when I booked the massages I would have had this offer and made good use of the facilities. Perhaps in future you could advertise your Spa offers the week before the month starts not on the 2nd day of the month it applies to.

The hotel have not sent s reply to this email I sent them.

Date of stay: August 2018
2  Thank citytravelleruk
Reviewed 4 November 2018 via mobile

I have just returned from an overnight stay at The Manor Hotel and Garden Spa. It was BEAUTIFUL! The manor itself is gorgeous, very old and has its original features etc. The spa area and much newer and it is lovely!

We booked the overnight spa experience so got use of the spa and a 30minute treatment was included. As well as a 3 course evening meal in the bistro restaurant and a cooked breakfast in the morning.

We arrived and were able to go straight into the spa, the area isn’t huge but it is very lovely! There is 2 outside hot tubs and unfortunately it rained almost all of the time we were there. They were still enjoyable however I wonder if it’d be possible/benefit to add a ‘canopy’ especially as the winter is drawing in. I can’t imagine it being nice getting snowed on! The salt room also smells a bit like wet dog/feet!? It soon goes when inside as your nostrils get used to it! The complimentary use of towels, robes and flip flops is a nice touch.

The 30 minute treatment I had was a back, neck and shoulder massage - HEAVENLY! So nice and relaxing and the treatment area is gorgeous, there is a lovely ‘relaxation room’ that you are shown to with a glass of water after your treatment - really nice touch. However in reality, your treatment is more like 20 minutes than 30. By the time the treatment started, around 4:35 (instead of 4:30) and finished at 4:56, it is not as advertised. I understand obviously that your 30 minute is also used to ‘get changed’ etc. But felt since the treatment is already relatively short, this time could be better used for a better/longer experience.

The evening meal was BEAUTIFUL! I had the mac and cheese starter, it was lovely. A great sized portion.
For main I had the sirloin cooked medium rare and I have to admit, it was cooked to perfection. Thoroughly enjoyed it!
My dessert was the lemon tart (I’m normally a die hard cheesecake fan so was slightly disappointed that there was none on the dessert menu!), the tart was again, very nice!
The menu itself is the one included in the overnight spa experience price, there is a separate menu with more choice which I’m guessing you’d be able to pay a supplement to have.

The rooms were lovely, beds comfortable and everything you need for an overnight stay. My only gripe and this, to be honest, is the only reason I haven’t given 5 stars. THE HEAT! The radiators were blasting from the moment we got to the hotel. We turned the radiators off in the room and it was still unbearable. The window was open but I think because immediately outside of the door was a huge heated space it made no different. It made eating our evening meal and breakfast very unpleasant. There seemed to be no relief from the heating. I know that the weather is drawing in, but I think guests should be told/shown how to turn the radiators on and off in the rooms. I would much rather be too cold than too hot. At one point during being awake from 2:30am-4:30am I considered laying in a cold bath to try and escape it!

The breakfast was gorgeous. Lots of choice of cereals, pastries etc and the hot breakfast was plentiful. Again, it was so hot in the restaurant.

Overall I would definitely return, and definitely recommend! I would just ask for a ‘cooler’ room. I was surprised that with it being such an old building it was so hot.

Date of stay: November 2018
1  Thank LMH_2610
Reviewed 31 October 2018

We stayed in one of the ground floor garden rooms. We Would definitely recommend these rooms The room was spacious and the view spectacular. We loved the fact we were able to open the patio doors and walk outside to such amazing views. The staff are very welcoming and helpful We would definitely stay at Appleby Manor again and would feel happy to recommend this hotel to family and friends

Room tip: We loved the Garden room
Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 29 October 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for a couple of nights recently. The hotel itself is clearly an older hotel, which is fine but it could do with some freshening up.

Shout out to Pauline on reception - she was fantastic. Nothing was too much and she had a caring and conscientious way about her. She did everything to make our experience as positive as possible!! Thank you. Almost all of the other staff we came across were friendly and helpful. We didn’t think much to the barman who walked around with a slight air of arrogance and continually bosses the young ladies around in earshot of the guests, and unnecessarily!!

The food was ok and they catered for dietary requirements. We ate in the fine dining room one evening and found the food a little disappointing. There were options on the menu but they were limited and not really to our taste. Overall the food was well presented but the potato in my main was hard (undercooked) and the same with the side order of chips. Afternoon tea was ok although a jelly was served in a glass which was covered in dirty fingerprints which put us off a little - that was left untouched. Breakfast had a good choice of hot food from a menu in addition to buffet for cereals and pastries etc. Only downside to breakfast was the temperature of the food - not hot enough when served. The food was average at best and quite pricey.

The spa was a good size and kept us occupied for an hour or so following a massage, which was very good.

The hotel is quite isolated but with beautiful views. There’s a pub and some restaurants a short five or ten minute walk from the hotel. We found a number of hotel guests there on our second night. We walked a lot, visited Brougham Castle and also went for a walk around Aira Force - a local(ish) waterfall as well as went to a lake near Pooley Bridge - all worth a visit.

If you’re looking for peace and quiet in a hotel where the staff look after you, this might suit you.

Date of stay: October 2018