“Walking in the footsteps of JMW Turner”
Review of Rokeby Park

Rokeby Park
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 23 August 2017

My wife is a woman not prone to exaggeration and says that our recent visit to Rokeby Hall and Park must rank as among the best ‘big houses’ she has visited in recent times. Being a mere man, who am I to disagree? I suspect she was influenced by the
collection of fine needlework pictures by Anne Morritt which date back to the 1700s while the rare surviving ‘print room’ decorated with 18th century prints, the death mask of Mary, Queen of Scots, and copy of Velasquez’s ‘Toilet of Venus’ (the original is in the National Gallery) in Rokeby Hall’s salon were, I have to say, much more to my taste. The hall is open only on certain days and so it would be wise to check in advance. It’s also worth noting that there’s nowhere to acquire refreshment on site. For my money, these are the only downsides to what is a delightful place to visit. Just a short and very pleasant stroll from the house is a gorge with the River Greta flowing through it, an area that attracted legendary painter JMW Turner and is still popular with local artists. Another big plus has to be the quality of the commentary given to our party of ‘Friends of St Edmund’s Church in Sedgefield’ by our guide, a most interesting and knowledgeable chap. I very much regret that I cannot remember his name.

Date of experience: August 2017
"knowledge"
"century"
"hall"

Reviewed 8 August 2017

We only found out about Rokeby after we joined the HHA and what a gem it is.
The house itself is beautiful and very interesting and the staff in the various rooms are very knowledgeable and enthusiastic. One really good thing is that it's lived in as well and we saw the owner showing some guests around his property.
The grounds are lovely and there is a delightful river walk.
Highly recommended.

Date of experience: July 2017
2  Thank Rob N
Reviewed 27 June 2017 via mobile

Really interesting house to visit. Gardens simple but a delight. Walk to the river was lovely. Kind and helpful staff, particularly the car parking chap - a credit to all who let us see this magic real dolls house. Thank you.

Date of experience: July 2016
2  Thank Paul H
Reviewed 10 June 2016

A lovely summers day spent at Rokeby Park, and walks through the gardens and down by the river Greta

Date of experience: August 2015