“Didn't actually stay because......” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crags Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Crags Hotel
Ranked #23 of 35 Callander B&B and Inns
Swanley, United Kingdom
“Didn't actually stay because......”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

Arrived at this hotel on way out of Scotland in February, and when we arrived we couldn't get in the place. After strolling around Callander for an hour it was finally opened after 1pm. We were shown to our room by a friendly lady who told us we could have had the four poster room but the TV had been stolen by the last guests and so had pretty much anything that was not nailed down. We were also told that despite booking a table beforehand they di not do food in the Winter on Tuesdays! Anyway, the room we were showed to was on the top floor and as soon as we walked in we both regretted booking this place. The bed had a dip in the mattress supported by some wood on the floor, the toilet when flushed made a sound akin to a Spitfire engine starting up and overall it was very cramped. We both looked at each other, made our excuses and left leaving behind the deposit which, on reflection, was a wise move as we found a great hotel near Alnwick not far over the border.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Andrew E
AlexScrivenor, Owner at Crags Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
I would like to apologies for the behavior of my wife… under no circumstances should she have told you about the burglary that we experienced. It was a sensitive and personal issue that was none of your business! It was very thoughtful of you to share it with the 2 million customers of Tripadvisor!
However I am happy that you found my wife friendly… I rarely see that side of her! I will pass on your compliments. Maybe that is why we earned two stars instead of one!
With reference to your comments about my lavatory… I have researched this issue and find that you are mistaken!
I am concerned by your simile… I hope you don’t really think that I have powered my toilet with a supercharged V12 Rolls-Royce engine! I am all for disposing of waste but that would be going a little far!
I think that you maybe confusing Spitfires with something else… Spitfires, you will recall, were the saviours of our nation! And still to this day when you here the roar of the Merlin engine overhead you know that all is right with the world. In fact I would go so far as to say that most of our British guests would feel reassured if everytime they spent a penny its departure was greeted by the sounds and images associated with our brave warriors hurtling across the south downs accompanied by sounds of 633 squadron…However we have to be sensitive and whilst I am sure our British guests would enjoy this patriotic experience, we also have a lot of visitors from the continent who may not feel so stirred by it!
In order to seek clarity I suggest you go to YouTube and type in “Spitfire Sounds” there are a number of videos that show MK19 Spitfires in action. I think you will agree that they do not sound like my toilet.
Don’t get me wrong… I am not defending my toilet… it does not make a nice noise. But do you know? In all my puff I have never heard a flushing toilet that made me lie back in bed, slip my weary fins behind my head and think “aaaaah nice!”
Similarly, I have also never heard a toilet flush so horrific that it made me leap out of bed, dash to the old two-seater and not stop driving until I had actually left the country in which the toilet was resident! This seems a bit of an over reaction to me!
If you disagree with anything that I have written then I would be only too pleased to offering you lodgings once again (not free of charge, mind you!) and we can sit in the toilet together and thrash it out!
If you chose to take me up on this kind offer then please remember that it clearly states on all websites that check in is from 2pm and you might want to bring some sandwiches if the debate is going to stretch into the evening… or maybe you would like it if we opened the restaurant just for you!
Yours
Basil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Saint jean le Blanc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

A typical countryside hotel with old beds but good for sleeping. On top, we got a fantastic Scottish breakfast with haggies ! Original isnt'it !

Room Tip: ask for the suite not so expensive
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

We stayed here on the way to the highlands. The rooms are comfortable, warm with a great bathroom and tea/coffee facilities. Don't be deterred by the fact it is also a pub, we didn't hear any bar noise and were able to sleep soundly. The breakfast was also very nice, a full Scottish breakfast that included tea and coffee.

A great option for those staying in Callandar.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Stirling, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

We arrived at the hotel at 11.10am. Where we met Snowy who showed us to our room. We were allocated room 3, but when snowy opened the door he quickly closed it again as he thought it had,nt been cleaned. The cleaner appeared and checked the room. She stated that the bed had been made but the top cover had been ruffled. We were fine with that so we were left to our room. While in there I went to use the toilet and noticed the loft door was opened. I quickly came out of the bathroom. We met snowy in the bar and explained to him. He said he would put us in another room, I was happy with this as I have a thing about lofts. We went a walk round the town and when I came back we were given room 4. Nice room but in need of wardrobes and drawers. Furniture a bit dated and very dusty. We got showered and dressed and went out for a while. We came back and went to our room, we got ready for bed and when we pulled the duvet back we noticed that the sheets were covered in hair and looked like they had been used by someone else and the pillow slips were creased as if used already. There was nobody in the hotel at that point to say to, so we slept on top of the duvet. When we came down for breakfast the owner I think his name is Alex was busy making breakfast to say anything. So decided to say while we were booking out. The young lady ( waitress ) took our money and we said to her. She was'nt very sympathetic and said that will be and said what we owed. Apart from that very nice staff. And the locals in the bar were very friendly. And may I say the breakfast was excellent.

Room Tip: Double check rooms before guests arrive.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
cumbernauld scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

Its our second time my wife and i and family have stayed at the crags hotel.so oncagain woud like to thank victoria and alex and snowy and all the locals in the bar for the great hospitality. And the amazing breakfast we got for two days we stayed at the hotel .A ll the best margaret and david family

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family