“Great lunch”

The Speech House
Ranked #7 of 37 Restaurants in Coleford
Price range: US$5 - US$27
Cuisines: British
Description: We are delighted to offer the Orangery and Garden for informal dining and our Verderers Court & Carolean restaurants for formal dining. We cater for all diets and special needs on request. We also offer a wide selection of Vegetarian dishes and children's meals. From 3pm -6pm we offer the full Speech House Afternoon Tea served with silver tea pots and bone china, as well as our re-known cream teas.
Reviewed 27 April 2018 via mobile

We called on a recommendation from a person that we had met in Ross. Excellent. The service was very good, the staff very helpful and the food and coffee were just as good. We would definitely call again for lunch or an evening meal. Well worth a visit.

The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2018

Dear Glyn F,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review on your recent visit for lunch.
I am delighted to read that you had a great experience and that my team looked after you throughout your meal.
Please pass on our thanks to your friend for recommending us to you.
We all look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in the area.

Reviewed 24 March 2018

On entering the building I was first greeted by a member of staff leaving the kitchen in mid-conversation, via a obscured doorway, with a mug of coffee held out in front of them in the corridor. This resulted in the coffee going over both of us as we collided. Luckily this staff member must prefer their coffee tepid as no real injury was done with the exception of coffee stains down the two of us. I mentioned this incident to the receptionist and was approached by some one a few moments later in the bar who did not introduce themselves but just offered an apology and a drink. I made the point of saying that had the drink been hot it could have been a different outcome to which she gave the inane reply of 'That's why we have health & safety' as if that actual meant something and left abruptly just after telling the bar tender to get me a drink. My friends and I just looked at one another for confirmation that we were not imagining what we had just heard and witnessed. She didn't seem to have much experience in dealing with customers so we concluded that maybe she was some poor junior member of staff sent in to try and correct the situation.

I ordered a coffee, despite still mopping up the residue of the one tipped over me, and that was placed in front of me on an embossed steel tray with a paper doily....there's good presentation and then there is just plain naff..like the large cushions and awful throw thing (or some off-cut) that's appeared in the lobby covering a lovely antique bench, which I guess is trying to make it look more homely at the cost of questionable taste. It really always looked so nice in the lobby but it now just looks a bit of a mess. You get the impression that they are trying really hard to get the look and feel of country comfort mixed with some elegance, but they just can't quite pull it off. I wish them every success in achieving this as the area sure lacks that kind of place.

My friends and I ordered the flatbread, they had the chicken and I the goats cheese option. At £8.50 I was hoping for something decent but it appeared to be nothing more than a cheap processed naan bread smothered with chutney and our requested topping. It wasn't totally unpleasant and we were famished so ate it, although by the end the amount of chutney got a bit sickly (not helped by the additional balsamic dressing), but definitely not worth £8.50 each (note you do get a very small bowl of chips as well). My friends commented that the chicken seemed to be processed. We all commented that it seemed very overpriced for the quality.

Overall my one word to sum up everything this place is trying to offer is 'lacking'.

The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2018

Dear Pillarofsalt,
Thank you for leaving a review of your visit to us.
Firstly can I apologise for the incident where you collided with a member of my staff who was carrying a cup of coffee. Accidents do happen and it was certainly not intestinal.
My duty manager responded on hearing of the incident and correctly came to speak with you in the bar to ensure that you had not sustained any injury and to offer assistance.
We serve all our hot coffee on a stainless steel tray with doyley and cafetiere, home made biscuit and hot or cold milk or cream. I am again sorry to read that it did not meet your expectations regarding presentation.
The settle you refer to in the reception area does have an antique runner and cushions to make the seat more comfortable for guests.I guess décor is subjective.
I am sorry that your visit fell below your expectations.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

Had an afternoon tea here recently and was somewhat disappointed. I had heard good reviews previously. The sandwiches were tiny finger slices and the bread had obviously been unwrapped for sometime, the fillings were not great. The scone, jam and cream was lovely but not a very big scone. The 4 tiny mouth size cakes were not pleasant as they were all very sweet. The custard was very watery, the meringue was lovely as was the filling but tiny. On the plus side endless amounts of tea but not somewhere I would recommend

The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2018

Dear Tania H,
Thanks for taking time to leave feedback on your recent visit for afternoon tea.
I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with your afternoon tea,.
Can I assure you that all of our sandwiches are all freshly made to order and regarding your comment on quantity many of our guests ask for us to wrap items to take home as the Afternoon Tea is too large.
We obviously did not meet your expectations for which I can only apologise.
As you point out we receive many good reviews from happy customers I am just sorry you were disappointed.
Thanks again for your review.

Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

We has an amazing meal and the staff were so friendly and helpful! Namely a tall chap who was our waiter Harvey Palmer. Great evening would go again!

The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2018

Dear Munawwar M,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a great review on your recent visit to the Speech House.
I am so pleased you enjoyed your meal and that my team looked after you throughout the meal. I have passed on your very gracious comments to them and to Harvey in particular.
We all look forward to your returning soon.
Director/Proprietor.

Reviewed 3 March 2018

Living locally I have visited The Speech House on a number of occasions over the years and more so during the past 12 months. It's a nice old building in a nice and central location to the forest. There is now plenty of parking most of the time and the old marquee has recently been taken down and a new purpose build solid structure is currently being constructed to add much needed extra space.

It can be a bit cold in winter unless you are luckly enough to find space in front of an open fire but a good single malt helps. The staff are generally very accommodating and the lunchtime food served in a lovely large and airy room is good and reasonable value.

Looking forward to visiting in the summer when the weather improves and the new building is complete.

The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2018

Dear PrinceKelder,
Many thanks for taking time to leave a review of the Speech House.
As you say we are in the very heart of the Forest and we are indeed replacing the marquee with the brand new Edwin Tauber wedding and function suite which will be on stream from May 2018.
Thank you for your very kind comments regarding my team and the food and drinks we offer and value for money
We have always had a large car park at the rear of the hotel as well as parking at thor.e front.
We all look forward to you returning soon.