“Friendly country pub”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Near Coleford
Reviewed 15 August 2018 via mobile

Recommended by our excellent B&B nearby (Dryslade Farm) we arrived close to 9.00 pm but the staff and kitchen were unperturbed. Dishes were generous and tasty and one of our party said her glass of wine was excellent and good value. I think my pint of beer was from close to the end of a barrel but it may be that it was just a different flavour as it was a brew I had not tasted before.

Reviewed 15 August 2018 via mobile

I eat here about once a month, it maybe a little longer this time.
Picking the 'steak and strawberries' offer I was a tad shocked the price had gone up £2 but I am aware everything is getting more expensive. This, in my opinion, is tolerable if the quality is kept to the same standard or improved. We arrived prior to our booked time, was shown to a lovely table, clean and comfortable. Our order was taken promptly and that was where the positives faded out. It took 45 minutes for our food to arrive. A steak sauce a further 5 minutes. My steak was warm, no where near hot, my chips mostly little end bits hardly any decent chips, my peas hard, my tomato neither raw nor grilled, it was warm and hard. The 3 mushrooms and 2 onion rings were good. The friends I was with are not comfortable with complaints, so I said nothing, but I did not eat all my food. As a local Im gutted. Poor meal and a price increase.

Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

What a lovely hidden place we went here for our last night in the area for a family meal very warm and welcoming place, dogs are welcome, food was fantastic generous portions homemade, we did not book a table but was still able to accommodate us would probably recommend booking a table on the weekend just in case, lovely big garden, service was brilliant and the staff could not do enough for us

Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

Hard to find family run free house in lovely edge of village position, which is well worth a visit.
Excellent service and well kept Wye Valley brewery beers.
Disappointing pub grub but a salad we had was very good.
Would not return.

Reviewed 31 July 2018 via mobile

Once again another superb meal. We both had Fillet Steak which was cooked to perfection. Just one observation there is no Rioja or Italian wine on the Wine List. Other than that - thanks Sue and all your staff for another wonderful meal. See you again very soon.