All reviews afternoon tea heritage room cedars restaurant drawing room sunday lunch compliments to the chef single room wedding reception house hotel groupon voucher bridal suite staff were attentive wedding venue wedding breakfast food was lovely steak course meal
Reviewed 10 June 2018

we stayed in a family room.It was big ,with a superking and two singles and TWO T.V.s .The room was very clean but dated but it didn't effect our enjoying our stay.We stayed Saturday to Tuesday .There was always a place to park even thou it was very busy .The staff were always friendly and helpful .I didn't have breakfast but the rest of the family did and they said it was very good.We used it more as a base so we didn't look around the property much ,more a wake up shower/breakfast and out and back for bed style stay. We will be back .It was very good value and enjoyed the stay very much.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Stuart M
Reviewed 9 June 2018

I booked 5 nights for important business trip. It was vital for me to have a comfortable hotel so I called in advance to ask what kind of mattress would be in the room, was told it’s a Hypnos, on the basis of this reassurance I continued my reservation.

Upon arrival I checked in and the room was noticeably worn and shabby, it had an old wooden framed bed, it creaked very badly and felt uncomfortable even though the thick duvet. When I went to bed later and got in I realised how awful the mattress was, springs poked into my back though the flimsy thin top layer, as the night progressed it became more and more painful, restful sleep was not possible. I got up and lifted the bed linen to see the mattress, it was obviously not a Hypos, a very old and worn looking cheap metal edged mattress thinly covered in a worn fabric with the springs visibly near the surface of the mattress. I had little sleep that night.

On my second night it was no better and the effects on my back we’re becoming really painful, I reported the issue to reception at 8am next morning and was promised the mattress would be changed. I also mentioned that there was no soap or tissues in the room since arriving and it would be useful to be able to wash with soap. In the evening on the return there was still no soap in the room and the mattress had not been changed.

The receptionist said I could move to another room for my remaining stay so I went up to my room packed my things and carried them downstairs, on climbing back upstairs to the second room carting all my stuff she said I could only have that room for one night and would have to move back to the first room again as the hotel was fully booked. I then looked at the mattress in the second room and found it the same as the first so carried all my belongings downstairs again to get the key back of the first room since there was no point in moving. I was by that time exhausted.

At 6m I asked to speak to the manager and told him of the problems, his reply was he had only come on duty at 3pm, he said there was nothing he could do at that time of day. I pointed out I had reported the issues at 8am. This did not prompt him to resolve things, I pointed out I could not spend a third night on a torture rack and there must be something he could do, he had no solution so I suggested an extra quilt to cover the nasty springs. Why he could not have thought of this is surprising. Lugged all my stuff up three flights of stairs again.

Finally when getting my clothing out of the wardrobe in the morning a heavy metal suitcase frame fell out from the back of the wardrobe and smashed my toe. I went downstairs and immediately checked out.

Stay there at your peril!

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
4  Thank Di W
Reviewed 7 June 2018 via mobile

Really excellent hotel

Very traditional and friendly service.

Rooms and are spacious and comfortable, facilities are very basic and in some cases it's a bit like the 1960's.

Quite and pleasant surroundings, ample car parking and a good location. Prices are very reasonable and I would definitely recommend this hotel to visitors.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
3  Thank pdcs4
Reviewed 4 June 2018

My wife and 1 stayed here for two nights as a stopover on a holiday to N Wales. For us this was really a great find. Very friendly staff; nice room; great outside garden and a superb Restaurant. For a 3 star hotel this place boxed over its weight. Nice area of the country for a casual visit and we would definitely book again if we were in the area.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2018

Hotel is in a nice setting, receptionist was excellent, she tried 3 taxis for us to go to the races all booked and then checked the bus times for us which we did get as it is literally 5 mins down the road. It was £4 return. We had a drink in the garden and it was a gorgeous sunny day and the garden was lovely. Our rooms were all good, 2 of them large , ours was overlooking the front and driveway into the grounds, en suite very clean and shower was good but after waiting a little while to get the temperature right. We had a drink when we got back from the Races about 7pm and then went out to eat but the food that we did see looked very good. On returning we had a drink in the bar and the barman/night porter was most helpful in going to the cellar to look for more Baileys! Breakfast was served until about 10am and had a good selection, I opted for the healthy choice of Salmon, Scrambled egg on a muffin and it was perfect. The others were pleased with their English Breakfasts (one a vegetarian). All in all good hotel and would definitely return if in the area again.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple