All reviews golf buggy fire pit snug bar tennis courts clear night pedal kayaks mountain bikes spa trail record player clear sky on site restaurant four poster bed games room play park spa experience coffee machine underfloor heating
Reviewed 11 September 2018

Myself and my husband stayed here a few weeks ago in the middle of August, we stayed in one of the bubble domes and it was such a lovely experience! Prior to our arrival we booked the pedal kayaks along with the prosecco picnic and we also booked dinner for the night. When we arrived at Finn Lough we were offered a coffee and were taken through the facilities and map of the area, this literally took 2 mins of our time, after we finished we asked when we would be taken for our kayak experience which we booked for 12pm but we were informed that the waters were currently too choppy so they asked if we could wait til the later time of 2pm to see if it had calmed down which was fair enough. While we were waiting we were offered the complimentary bikes which we went out on for about an hour, it was great cycling around the resort and we even discovered a coupe of wee spots where you could sit and relax in peace and enjoy the views. When we got back to reception we were told that we would not be able to go kayaking as nothing had changed with regards the waters which was fine, safety first! We were told that we could try and go kayaking the following day before we left which I thought was nice but we had other plans. At this point we were offered our prosecco picnic which we were going to have down by the water (where they have the sundowners) it was a little windy but it didnt matter cause we had blankets to keep us warm and the views were just so beautiful we didnt care about the wind. The picnic itself was lovely, we had scones, brownies, a cheeseboard, sandwiches, water and a little bottle of prosecco each, the only thing that was missing was a tea or a coffee which would have been nice but you get plenty of food, I couldnt even eat the scone and brownie as I was so full but my husband ate everything and he raved about the brownies. Later we went and enjoyed a drink at the bar upstairs beside the snug, now this is my only complaint, there are tables and chairs set up on the balcony outside and i was sat on the chair closest to the steps leading down to the snug bar, I went to take a photo of the snug bar and returned to my seat not realising how close the leg of the chair was to the steps and I pulled my chair out to sit down and the chair fell down the stairs and me with it falling backwards and banging my head on the wall and slamming my arm on the steps, I think they should take a look at where that chair is positioned as it is very dangerous. I had a lump on the back of my head for 3 weeks and bruises on my legs and arms. One of the staff came and asked if I was ok and I laughed it off as I was in shock, she asked again later that day and I told her I had a lump on the back of my head and I had a headache but that was it really she didnt say anymore about it. Anyway we went to our bubble to have a lie down after that and get ready for dinner. Dinner was lovely, we had 3 courses all of them really tasty and we had a lovely bottle of wine to share, the restaurant is small and intimate and very relaxed. After dinner we just went back to the bubble dome as and lucky us we had the clearest night not a cloud in the sky and the amount of stars we seen was incredible. The bubble got a little cold during the night but nothing we couldnt tolerate. I woke in time to see the sunrise and that was another awesome experience. Breakfast was nice, it was a small menu, we had the bacon bagels with cream cheese which were nice, however our tea that came out seemed to go cold within minutes which I found strange so we couldnt drink it, the only thing missing for me was some pastries.

Overall, the accommodation was unique, the food was tasty, the location is stunning and i must say I would absolutely return!! Next time I am definitely booking the spa experience, hoping to get kayaking and I am definitely staying away from that chair :)

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Elizabeth C
Reviewed 3 September 2018

From start to finish, the whole 'Finn Lough' experience, did not disappoint. I booked the luxury suite with elements trail and dinner and found the booking experience to be very simple and straight forward. Everyone I encountered throughout could not be more professional or engaging.

On arrival, we were greeted by Gillian. Gillian had helped me with a gift card previously and she provided us with a stunning luxury suite overlooking the lake. The accommodation was just sublime! There was something to be found in every corner in the suite. It really was such a treat.

We were a little late for our elements trail. Around 2/3 minutes but there was a form to go through prior to getting started which meant that we last roughly 15/20 minutes from the trail which was a little disappointing. I wasn't award of the policy to arrive ten minutes before the trail but this was clearly an oversight on my behalf however for something as important as this, I do wish it was made a bit more clear as it wasn't brought up during check in as we would have probably rushed ourselves a little more. in saying that, the elements trail is not to be missed! Such a great, tranquil experience. The float room was awesome. It set the tone for a great stay! Lizzy who was managing the area was really friendly and did her very best to accommodate us. I advised the float room was our main point of interest so she did try keep us there for the full 20 minutes.

The gin tasting board was a nice touch and for such a reasonable price. It was a good aperitif post-spa. The espresso martinis were also really, really good.

We booked dinner for 8.30am and had the fillet beef. Portions were small but quality was high! Dinner was the icing on the cake after a lovely day. We enjoyed a bottle of red wine and went full throttle with a starter, main, desert and cheeseboard. All of which, were very enjoyable.

After dinner, we enjoyed a nightcap in the bar, a whiskey sour and an old fashioned cocktail. The bar man was so knowledgeable and considerate. He advised of a cocktail that would be nice for sleeping and not harsh on the tummy at that time of night. His recommendations were dead-on as the cocktails set us up for a lovely nights sleep in thee most comfortable bed I've ever slept in.

We enjoyed the Nespresso coffee on offer in the suite in the morning time, while sitting taking in the view of the lake from our sofa, before we went back for breakfast (included in the stay)... The breakfast options on offer were fantastic, we had baked avocado with eggs which we thought would be eggs baked in avo but turned out to be poached eggs on top of avocado, alongside a mushroom on toast. I felt the breakfast to be a little lacking in flavour but this didn't detract from the experience as there was lovely cereal and fruit, coffee and juice laid out.

Check-out wasn't until 11:30am so we made use of the very comfortable bath before taking on the forest trail and grabbing some soup for lunch which wasn't on the menu but the kitchen made for us anyway and it was delicious!

Having the leave was the worst part of the stay to be honest. I have such fond memories of Finn Lough that i'm already looking forward to returning. Thanks for a great stay, and thanks again to Gillian for going above and beyond the call of duty.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Seaside771399
Reviewed 31 August 2018

My husband and I stayed here for our wedding anniversary. We stayed in the bubble dome and it was a wonderful experience! Going to bed watching the forest get dark, birds flying about, then bats, was amazing. Waking up to the sun rising through the forest was just as inspiring. Upon arrival and check in we were transported to our dome. Apparently we'd chosen the hottest weekend experienced by Ireland in a while and upon entering it was approx 45 degrees!!!! We have decided to go back in cooler weather as the domes are built to keep you warm, under floor heating, extra heaters - you definitely would not get cold in the winter months. The good thing was, we were out doing stuff in the day when the heat was at its fiercest and by the time we returned after our evening meal, it was lovely. After we had arrived we went down to the lakeside cocktail bar to sit, drink and contemplate what a lovely place we'd found. We had great food in the restaurant both evenings. On our second day we took bikes around the forest, following the flags you'll come to things like a bench by the side of the lake, to take a moment. Kayaks are also available to make the most of the lake. Our favourite thing had to be the Elements Spa Trail. Each element - flotation tank, saunas, jacuzzi etc is placed in the forest and you have an enormous robe and slippers so you can discreetly (and warmly) walk from one thing to the other, following the map outside each element. The sauna is lakeside and you can walk round it and take the ladder into the lake for a swim. Some showers to cool down after the sauna are built into the trees. There is a lovely relaxation room at the end of the trail. Everything works well and it's a unique experience to share with someone. The domes are not suitable for children, but there are also modern cottages on site. There are many places to relax, read, play board games, grab a drink.

Stayed: May 2018
2  Thank HipHotelier01
Reviewed 28 August 2018

Our second visit to Finn Lough was even better than our five-star weekend in February. The main attraction, of course, was the bubble dome, which positions luxury furnishings and crisp white linens deep in the fairytale forest, providing an evening of stargazing and listening to rain, without the inconveniences of insects, damp, or noise. It was a truly magical experience: the size of the dome makes it feel as though the bed is completely in the open air and it was such fun to watch the clouds overhead at sunrise.

The provisions in the dome are first-class, from the complementary toiletries, to the quirkily upholstered armchairs and comfortable dressing gowns, to the coffee maker and Kilner jar of popcorn. We had no problem with nosey or noisy neighbours – the thick hedge and sound of the bubble dome’s air supply take care of that – and I didn’t feel that our belongings were vulnerable, as some other reviewers have reported. I suppose an agile thief could chop their way through the undergrowth to gain access, but they would have to be really keen, and I’m sure the office has a safe or valuables can always be locked in the car.

The walk to the restaurant and reception was pleasant, and we spent some time exploring the trails and walking to the lake’s edge. We were only here one night on this occasion and therefore didn’t use the available mountain bikes or kayaks, nor did we use the spa trail, though I can vouch for it from our last visit.

We enjoyed a nice three-course meal in the restaurant, starting with an open-face goat’s cheese tart and ham hocks, which were perfectly matched with pickled vegetables. This was followed by steak with truffled mash and celeriac puree and duck in cherry sauce. Both meats were cooked longer than usual, but they were enjoyable, and the croquette that came with the duck was flavoured with a mysterious and delicious combination of thyme, orange, and five spice. We had our desserts outside on the porch at sunset. The pear tart was outstanding, with crunchy pastry that rivals the best Paris has to offer. Breakfast, too, was nice, and improved since our last visit in February. Crunchy granola and endless rounds of grilled toast with Irish butter filled me up too much to finish my generous portion of eggs Benedict, which came with a huge slice of Irish ham – unusual and appreciated.

The staff at Finn Lough were without exception friendly and helpful. They dropped off and collected our bags from the bubble dome and saw to our needs throughout our stay. We particularly appreciated sommelier Dobi’s expert advice and the hour long private whiskey tasting that he provided. We learned a lot about whiskeys (not just Irish) and discovered some new favourites along with some palate-cleansing chocolates. Considering how much some of these whiskeys cost at the airport, I wish I had found room to finish all the generous portions we were served.

A magical and memorable second visit.

Room Tip: The bubble dome was unforgettable but we also stayed in a lodge, which was more comfortable for a longer stay or bigger family
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GeorgeHCS
Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

We stayed in the bubble dome and it was amazing. It toom a few minutes to get used to it but once you did you wont notice. We took the bikes out for awhile and it was great fun. The sundowners area is so nice it was such a shame it rained while we were there. Ws would absolutely recommend having dinner there. The food was amazing abd the place seems real remote so probably easier too. The stairway to heaven is close by if you can take yerselves away from finn lough.. we couldnt . The staff here are so lovely too and best not forget to comment about the cookies they are to die for! On suggestion to make the place even more amazing would be a turn down service with the cookies!!! My pictures dont do the place justice!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple