Review Highlights

Excellent Little theatre and Progressive Players

Reviewed 19 December 2017
martinidoc
London

All reviews saltwell park progressive production acting stage play
Reviewed 5 September 2018

Went to see this play last night, it was brilliant. Good acting, great performance by the small cast. The scene setting was excellent. Great play. The bar area was lovely. We really had an excellent night out.

Date of experience: September 2018
Reviewed 19 December 2017

We have been visiting this theatre for a few years for the productions by the Progressive Players. They are all of a high standard, however the most recent production of Frankenstein, was particularly memorable. The gothic set was rightly greeted with enthusiastic applause at curtain up. The players were faultless. This could have been a West end production. I wouldn't normally go to see a horror movie, but, this adaption of the original play, was really gripping and executed to the highest standard. The theatre itself is a charming art deco building, with a bustling bar upstairs and tea room downstairs. Booking is simple, and you can even get a downloaded ticket on your smart phone, which even some larger theatres can't manage.It really is a jewel in the crown of Gateshead

Date of experience: December 2017
1  Thank martinidoc
Reviewed 25 November 2017

Located right next to Saltwell Park, The Little Theatre is the base for The Progressive Players, which are a group of amateur performers who organise, maybe, ten plays each year.

Don't let the word 'amateur' put you off, these shows are well worth the price... sure, some are more light-hearted than others, but there's an unexpectedly high level of quality.

The building itself feels like a Tardis. I just don't understand how they can fit a theatre of that size in the building that I see from the outside. The stage isn't that high, so you can sit right at the front and have an excellent view of the action - and more importantly, be able to hear everything.

It's also impressive how many of the seats are pre-booked due to their season ticket system, which often results in performances selling out. So if you want to see a show then book in advance. The season ticket system also creates this unique feeling of community because everyone gets to know each other. It's an interesting experience.

Overall, it's a great little theatre and I recommend a visit to anyone with a passing interest in theatre - especially if you want to sample quality theatre on a budget.

Date of experience: October 2017
1  Thank M9912e4
Reviewed 23 September 2017

I visited The Little Theatre on Heritage Open Day. Despite being from Gateshead, I'm ashamed to say this was my first visit! I was astonished at how big it actually is, and it definitely has the best wardrobe and costume department I have ever seen! The tour was excellent, very informative and I'm sure we were given the opportunity to visit every single nook and cranny! The people who kindly gave up their time to give us a tour were very pleasant and clearly passionate about what they do. They have a nice bar and refreshment area and you can really feel the history of the place when you are in the building. It is certainly a real asset to the community and I plan to see a play there one of these days! The archive area is amazing, I would love to spend hours reading all of the old theatre programmes and notes written by Ruth Dodds who established the theatre.

Date of experience: September 2017
2  Thank victorian986
Reviewed 16 September 2017

The Little Theatre is local to me and I would highly recommend it. The productions are of the highest quality, presented by a very talented group of people. Their production of 'Allo 'Allo on Utah September 2017 was a triumph and they outdid their usual exceptionally high standard. The building is beautiful with comfortable seating and a cosy bar and lounge area.

Date of experience: September 2017