“Great little theatre”

The Little Theatre Gateshead
Ranked #6 of 16 Fun & Games in Gateshead
Reviewed 25 November 2017

Located right next to Saltwell Park, The Little Theatre is the base for The Progressive Players, which are a group of amateur performers who organise, maybe, ten plays each year.

Don't let the word 'amateur' put you off, these shows are well worth the price... sure, some are more light-hearted than others, but there's an unexpectedly high level of quality.

The building itself feels like a Tardis. I just don't understand how they can fit a theatre of that size in the building that I see from the outside. The stage isn't that high, so you can sit right at the front and have an excellent view of the action - and more importantly, be able to hear everything.

It's also impressive how many of the seats are pre-booked due to their season ticket system, which often results in performances selling out. So if you want to see a show then book in advance. The season ticket system also creates this unique feeling of community because everyone gets to know each other. It's an interesting experience.

Overall, it's a great little theatre and I recommend a visit to anyone with a passing interest in theatre - especially if you want to sample quality theatre on a budget.

1  Thank M9912e4
"stage"
"play"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 23 September 2017

I visited The Little Theatre on Heritage Open Day. Despite being from Gateshead, I'm ashamed to say this was my first visit! I was astonished at how big it actually is, and it definitely has the best wardrobe and costume department I have ever seen! The tour was excellent, very informative and I'm sure we were given the opportunity to visit every single nook and cranny! The people who kindly gave up their time to give us a tour were very pleasant and clearly passionate about what they do. They have a nice bar and refreshment area and you can really feel the history of the place when you are in the building. It is certainly a real asset to the community and I plan to see a play there one of these days! The archive area is amazing, I would love to spend hours reading all of the old theatre programmes and notes written by Ruth Dodds who established the theatre.

2  Thank victorian986
Reviewed 16 September 2017

The Little Theatre is local to me and I would highly recommend it. The productions are of the highest quality, presented by a very talented group of people. Their production of 'Allo 'Allo on Utah September 2017 was a triumph and they outdid their usual exceptionally high standard. The building is beautiful with comfortable seating and a cosy bar and lounge area.

2  Thank Elindal V
Reviewed 26 February 2017 via mobile

I've been to a many theatres and I've got to say this has got to be one of the best. The building is good, the bar prices are great but most importantly the standards of the productions are first class.

1  Thank daniel w