Dove Cottage Nursery and Garden

Reviewed 25 July 2018
Dai D
Hebden Bridge
Well Worth a Visit

What a great little nursery and loverly garden Not a big car park, so just as easy to park on the... read more

Reviewed 22 July 2018
Chalkmanvid

All reviews gardeners world quality plants well worth a visit perennials scheme inspiration butterflies toilets
Reviewed 25 July 2018

Great place for plants, planting advice and general atmosphere. My go-to place for perennials. Been on Gardeners World several tomes now, and you’ll appreciate why if and when you visit.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed 22 July 2018

What a great little nursery and loverly garden

Not a big car park, so just as easy to park on the street and walk up the drive

Very nice garden, and some great planting ideas as well, the man on the gate to the garden (the owner?) was very helpful and said he would explain about the plants if there was any questions or advice regarding on them, thats such a nice idea and one other gardens should do, well done.

The nursery was great and a lot of what was in the garden was for sale, again this was very helpful to see how it can be used and the size it can grow to and what works next to them.

Very much enjoyed it

Date of experience: July 2018
1  Thank Chalkmanvid
Reviewed 13 July 2018

Having seen Carol Klein visit this garden on Gardeners World I just had to see it. It was everything I'd hoped it would be and more. We used our 2 for 1 Gardeners World discount card so gained entrance for just £3.50 for two. We were made very welcome by the owner. The garden was beautiful. If you are a cottage garden fan you will love it, if you prefer formal bedding then this won't be your thing. The garden is full of colour, along with bees and butterflies. It is terraced with a winding path enabling you to get up close and personal with the plants. There are occasional benches to rest, admire the garden and even have a bit of a picnic. There is tea and coffee available for £1 in the nursery entrance but no food, but they don't mind if you bring your own. The garden is in total harmony with it's countryside surroundings and is just stunning.
After gaining inspiration from the garden I couldn't wait to exit into the nursery where all the garden plants could be purchased. There was plenty of choice and all the plants were large and in really good condition, fully justifying the £6 or so price tag for each plant.
I really can't recommend Dove Cottage garden and nursery enough to keen gardeners who are fans of cottage gardens.

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed 6 June 2018

I've wanted to visit the garden at Dove Cottage for a couple of years, having been there once to buy plants and learning that between June and September they open the garden to the public. We were given a booklet with information about the plants but the plants themselves were not labelled so we didn't know what to look up. I expressed my disappointment to the owners and was met with a very angry response from which I'm still reeling. I found it very unsettling. They asked me if plants in my garden were labelled; said I didn't appreciate the work they had put in over 20 years and said I should have come in August when everything was in full bloom. They gave me my money back, although I hadn't asked for it. Having had the visit on my 'things I was looking forward to' list for quite some time, it was all very disappointing.

Date of experience: June 2018
3  Thank Stargazer065
Reviewed 3 June 2018

We were not dis appointed, friendly staff, easy to get around garden beds, and a beautiful display of typical British flowers and ground cover. Would have liked to taken some different. Flowers. Home with us, but not. possible due to Australian quarantine laws, have to be satisfied with flower photos.

Date of experience: June 2018