All reviews wedding breakfast from start to finish wedding reception honeymoon suite wedding venue evening reception pie sowerby bridge roast beef bride and groom couldn't do enough cooked breakfast full english breakfast following morning food was lovely bar and restaurant carvery
Reviewed 26 October 2018

My husband and I booked 2 nights at this hotel. After visiting family we returned at 9.20 to find almost pitch black and we struggled to see to open the outer door and to negotiate our way along the dark corridors as there was virtually no lighting. The bar was not particularly welcoming: the man apparently running the bar stretched out on the settee with the tv on at full blast.
The twin bedded room was very small with scarcely any room to move. One of the walls was unpleasantly stained. In the bathroom, one of the towels was still damp and on our second day our one shower gel was not replaced. problems:
The worst hotel I have stayed in and outrageously overpriced.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank fmm2016
Reviewed 24 October 2018 via mobile

I got married at The Tower house hotel on the 4th August 2018. After visiting the hotels wedding fair we instantly fell in love. After 3 years of planning this was meant to be such a perfect day unfortunately this wasn't the case.

Now I know every wedding has hiccups but for the amount of money we paid unfortunately the negatives have overshadowed the positives of what was meant to be such special day.

I am I'm such a positive person and always find the good in a bad situation which I will point out. The waiting & bar staff was so lovely and couldn't do enough for you, the food (part from the chicken being dry) was delicious. The Dj was amazing and the rooms when dressed looked exactly how I pictured.

But with that said
So from the start. I had a rehearsal with my bridesmaids the night before Mark the manager had been told to reserve 4 rows of seats which didn't happen and caused a bit of upset to my guests when they kept getting asked to move. The morning of the wedding my grandmas bedroom upstairs had no hot water so she had to go home to shower. The wrong song was played during my entrance (now I can overlook this as it was the right song but wrong version) the meal took over 2 & a half hours to be served which at that point guests was tired of waiting. No water was given out the toast drink was forgotten. No veg was brought with the meal until I asked where it was and by that point most of the top tables meal had gone cold also only one bowl was to shared between 8 of us. The most shocking was My youngest son had be given an out of date fruit shoot.

More behind the scenes happened which is just too long to go In to. Luckily enough I still got to marry my childhood sweetheart and my photographer got some beautiful pictures of the day but in general was left very disappointed.

Trip type: Travelled with family
7  Thank allinsontracey
Reviewed 21 August 2018

This hotel is well hidden within an estate but easily found with sat nav. It is at the end of a very long winding drive which means it is far away from any noise. It looks tired and needs some TLC and as we parked right outside my heart sank. Friendly Check in ...no lift ..... Room was small but has everything that you need for a comfortable stay.Found it to be very clean with a super large jet shower,fluffy white towels,bathroom extras,and the most comfortable bed ever. Slept extremely well even though there was a wedding taking place and celebrating guests were outside under my window. Decor and general appearance needs updating but for the price it is a real find.Booked room only so didn’t have food. This is not for those used to 4/5 star quality but I had a surprisingly pleasant experience and would stay again.

Room tip: Side or back room
Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Joan D
Reviewed 20 August 2018

Having driven down from Northumberland and being ready for a rest and drink,the sight of the hotel was welcoming. We got to the room which was well appointed and looked like it had a recent overhaul. Reading the hotel information it was clear that dinner had to be booked. Due to the location,a good way from the centre we had no intention of venturing out, a quiet drink in the bar/ lounge area ,then dinner and bed.
We went to reception to book our meal time and were told the restaurant was closed to residents due to a wedding! The bar was also not available!
The girl on the reception said we could go into town! We asked if they would provide a taxi there and back which she was not prepared to provide.
The manager was called, after explaining our predicament which must have been obvious when the booing was made, he agreed to a refund.
Luckily we had not unpacked and had to go in search of other accommodation.
The booking should have been declined at source availability on the site.
Disappointed.

Room tip: Make sure there is not a wedding taking place
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Stevehassan
Reviewed 9 August 2018

I find it very difficult to find anything good about this establishment. I was here for my step-son's wedding recently and was appalled at the cleanliness of the hotel and grounds, the service at the bar, the attitude of the manager/owner Mark, the wait for food, etc.

Firstly, as the owner/manager of a hotel not only do you NOT sit in the bar on a couch watching the cricket whilst you are supposed to be tending the bar and cleaning the tables, but you certainly should NOT fall asleep on said couch and have to be woken so that your patrons can get a drink!! This happened on more than one occasion.

The stocking of the bar was also very poor - one bottle of whisky. It said Bells on the label, it was not Bells. But the main point here is to have only one kind of whisky - never seen that before. The bar service was so very, very poor - I repeatedly had to go to reception, ring the bell, wait for someone to come to reception to ask for service at the bar. Then I had to wait at the bar, sometimes for 10 minutes, for someone to come and serve me. So from going to reception to actually getting a drink it could take 20 minutes - unacceptable. When you have a wedding party staying for the whole weekend in the hotel you man the bar!!

Our meal on the Friday night in the restaurant was mediocre at best. The meal on the day of the wedding was served so late - we were all starved. I have to say that the soup and dessert were excellent. However, the main meal of beef was OK, however the chicken was really dry. Also, our vegetables arrived as we were finishing the main meal and there was enough for 3 people maybe not a table of 8!!

They forgot the bubbly for the toast. They tried to charge for drinks which were not consumed. The wait staff were very pleasant and the bar staff on the day of the wedding were good.

What struck me most about this hotel though is the attitude of the owner/manager Mark. I was shocked at how he spoke to my step-son on the Sunday when he went to complain. He would not take the blame for anything that went wrong and had an excuse for absolutely everything.

On Sunday there was a christening, unfortunately for them Mark had not restocked the bar so there were loads of things missing. I was speaking to some of the guests who thanked the wedding party for emptying the bar (they were half joking). After the christening guests left every surface outside was covered in glasses - which is normal. What is not normal was that it took Mark about 5 hours to get round to clearing those glasses away. There were loads of kids running around all day - just imagine if they had tripped and tumbled into a table full of glass??

I cannot express this enough; find another venue for your special day!! Luckily the bride and groom still managed to have a wonderful day; despite the fact they played the wrong song for her walk down the aisle......she had to go out and start again once that farce was solved. But I would say they had a great day, in spite, of everything that went wrong.

And Mark, do not tell me that you were not asleep on that couch you were spotted everytime we had to walk past you to go the the loos!!

Trip type: Travelled with family