Reviews (1 455)
1 455 results
All reviews browns restaurant the club lounge salt room mud treatment aromatherapy associates afternoon tea overlooking the lake changing rooms underfloor heating relaxation room junior suite evening meal treatment rooms food was lovely steam room bottle of prosecco robes and slippers
83 - 88 of 1 455 reviews
Reviewed 25 June 2018

We got married recently and decided to go to the Mere for an overnight stay for a mini-moon. With it being a few miles down the road for us, we found it very conveniently located. We spent £250 for the package that includes one 25 min treatment in the spa, overnight stay in the hotel, dinner and breakfast. On top of that, because it was an extra special occasion, I paid an additional £170 for two body wrap treatments at the spa for myself and my husband.

I have visited the spa before and having use of the facilities was great. There was an aqua aerobics class on when we arrived but this was fine. We used all the lovely facilities - the jacuzzi, the individual steam/sauna rooms, and even sat outside in our swimsuits as the weather was lovely. We weren't able to check in when we arrived at 11am but this was fine as we could store our baggage securely in the lockers. The staff on arrival were very friendly and helpful. We ordered drinks at the bar and the young lad behind the bar was very helpful and brought our drinks out to us on two occasions.

We had lunch at the spa lounge. I ordered a red pepper wrap and a glass of prosecco, my husband ordered a beef salad with a soft drink. We were asked if we wanted any side orders and we said no. Two things I would improve here were the portion sizes as they were quite small and I didn't feel fully fed (and wished I had ordered the side orders). Also, the cutlery was dirty and I changed my knife because it was smeared.

Our £85 body wraps were lovely. The girl who treated me was very nice and attentive and tuned in to my needs. I did however hear her sipping away more than once on a drink during the scalp massage when my eyes were covered and she kind of prodded me with her spare hand! Perhaps I'm being too fussy but at £85 a massage you don't want to be distracted by slurping! I feel bad saying this as the girl was really lovely, but I'm a honest type of reviewer! The rest of the massage was perfect.

After finishing at the spa around 5pm, we checked in to the hotel. There wasn't much in the way of signage to the hotel reception so we got lost, but a member of staff in one of the function rooms helped us find our way. The staff at the hotel reception were exceptionally helpful and welcoming.

Our hotel room was really great - lovely and spacious. We overlooked the car park in room 220 so not the greatest of views but the room itself was super comfy and the bed very comfy and clean too.

We had a dinner reservation at 7.15pm in the Browns Restaurant. I wasn't immediately taken with the location of the restaurant with it effectively being in the hotel foyer, I had hoped it might have been located overlooking the golf course or the beautiful outside area. Despite having a reservation, and despite the restaurant not being really busy, we actually had to wait a little while to be seated. The waiter also saw us waiting but seemed to be busy elsewhere.

We made an effort to look nice for dinner and were seated in the middle of the restaurant next to a couple who were dressed in scruffy shorts and t-shirts! Our waiter was very charming when he was with us and the guy who brought our wine was very friendly too. I ordered the crab for starters and the fillet steak for the main. It was ok. I wasn't super impressed by the quality - the crab wasn't that tasty/seasoned well. I had a good sized piece of steak though, although I ordered it with a blue cheese sauce and when it arrived the sauce was still hard on top of the steak, and it also wasn't blue cheese. Furthermore, I also had to ask for a steak knife because one wasn't provided. When the food arrived from the kitchen, our table hadn't been cleared so you could see the frustration on the servers face as she tried to squeeze our dishes onto the small table so that she could clear away the plates from the previous course.

Throughout dinner, there was a pianist behind us who was fantastic. I also had the cheeseboard which was very very good, although I was surprised to see no Cheshire cheese on there!

We finished dinner around 9.30pm and after that there wasn't really anything to do in the near vicinity so we went back to the hotel room and watched a film.

Breakfast the next morning was great, although there was the issue of dirty cutlery again - I had a lipstick mark on my glass I used for smoothie (not mine) and the knife again was smudged. The breakfast selection was very commendable, smoothie of the day and a really good fruit selection.

We did overall have a lovely time, but I just felt we were paying for the prestige of the place and not necessarily the quality. I didn't complain because really my concerns weren't all that major and I didn't want to sully the mini-moon trip by complaining. We spent £250 on the package, with £60 of that going towards dinner which cost twice that. Taking lunch into account and the extra treatment each, we spent close to £500 for one day and night (not taking into account drinks). Is it worth that money? No, not really. It's a lovely place to stay, and I think if you're a golfer then it really suits, but I have been to many more establishments that just take that extra care on the detail. Will we be back? Well the spa certainly appeals, but not to the hotel or restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SamanthaMartini
Gary J, General Manager at The Mere Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2018

Dear SamanthaMartini,

Thank you for taking your time to review your recent experience with us here at The Mere Golf Resort & Spa.

Firstly congratulations to both yourself and your husband on your recent marriage, I hope the day went as planned and Im sure it was a beaitufl day!

I am both thrilled and disappointed to hear about different aspects of your visit to us here at The Mere although happy to hear that overall these silly disappointments didn't make to much of an impact on your visit with us. I will certainly ensure your comments are passed across to the rest of the management team to view going forward.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 25 June 2018

Lovely hotel, nice and clean, friendly service and nice breakfast. Rooms were spacious with good facilities.l Thought it could be better signposted as only small sign on grass outside saying The Mere.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Julieclay2018,

Thank you for taking your time to review you recent experience with us here at The Mere Golf Resort & Spa.

I am delighted to be able to read your lovely comments regarding all areas of the resort.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the near future.

Reviewed 25 June 2018

Group of 8, 4 club rooms for a spa / golf, dinner, bed and breakfast package. Spa was good as was dinner. Having to order fried eggs isn't great, usually ordering is only for poached? Bunkers on golf course were horrendous - why are they filled with stones, not good enough! Service was a tad slow in the outside bar area, due I think to staff being pulled away from the customers to help with erecting new 'fencing' around the sitting area....

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear DPYE1066,

Thank you for taking your time to review your experience with us here at The Mere Golf Resort & Spa.

I am thrilled to see you have rated us 4 stars out of 5 and will ensure that your feedback regarding both the course and different areas of the resort is passed across to my head of department team to be able to discuss going forward.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

I booked 5 rooms back in November for a golf and spa dinner bed and breakfast package. Ladies had a massage while the guys had a round of golf.. rooms were lovely, in fact I received a comp upgrade to the Harold Cluff suite.. wow! It was beautiful, the views were stunning and the room perfect. We met in the bar for lunch prior to the treatment and golf and found the staff very nice but thought the service was a bit slow.. the guys reported back to us that the course wasn't as good as Carden Park and that the bunkers were dreadful. Dinner was served in Browns and was spot on. Breakfast was also good, although think fried eggs shouldn't have to be ordered as this is usually only for poached! My husbands fried eggs appeared after he had finished eating.

All in all a lovely, relaxed stay. Green keeper should be informed about the stones in the bunkers is NOT acceptable.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Salbar72,

Thank you for taking your time to review your experience with us at The Mere Golf Resort & Spa.

I am delighted to hear your lovely comments regarding your time with us and will ensure your comments regarding breakfast and bunkers are passed across to the appropriate people to view.

Reviewed 24 June 2018

Just returned from a nights stay which overall was wonderful. We were in a lake view room and as the weather was so good we got the most out of the view. There were just a few things that let our stay down as it was a Special Anniversary and we has informed the staff of this when we booked our stay.
We had to phone down to reception as the cava and chocolates were not in our room.it took about 20 minutes for them to arrive and the cava was warm so we had to put it in the fridge.
We used the pool which was lovely and once again the weather let us make the most of the outside area.
We tried to walk by the lake later on but couldn’t find a suitable route even though most of the golfers had gone.
Our meal in Browns was lovely and we could not fault it at all.
Breakfast however was not as good. We felt ordering a poached or fried egg was strange and had never experience this in any hotel we have stayed in. People were waiting for there ordered eggs so we just had the scrambled it seemed less hassle. The black pudding which I always look forward to was uncooked, just warmed slightly and believe me I know as I worked in hospitality for years and know what it should look like.
The staff were very attentive, sometimes overly so taking my coffee away when I went to get something but besides that they were great.
We ordered a Telegraph for the morning only to find the wrong one outside our door. My husband loves to Read the paper and relax in our room for a while after breakfast. We told reception about the mistake taking the paper we had been left with to them. They were apologetic and in returned they gave us a dog eared Telegraph that someone else had already read, with all the supplements that we enjoy reading missing.
Some of these things seem petty on re reading but they were not major things and could so easily have been avoided with a little bit more attention to some of the details.

Room Tip: A room with a view over the lake
Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Samsmam2016,

Thank you for taking your time to review your recent experience with us here at The Mere Golf Resort & spa.

I am pleased to read your comments about your experience with us and will ensure your feedback regarding various areas is passed across for the team to view going forward.