All reviews courtyard room oulton broad travelzoo offer converted barn hotel grounds extensive grounds lovely hotel bar menu nature reserve lovely grounds groupon deal main restaurant cream tea sunday lunch good size room was large relaxing stay
Reviewed 3 November 2018 via mobile

Stayed here 2 nights ,rooms are in courtyard or grounds and are a good size and clean. Restaurant is beautiful beamed room in main block. Food and service were excellent. Only real problem is drive from main road which isn’t lite and full of potholes which really need attention.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2018

There are some good and bad points about this hotel and I imagine many people's overall view will depend on what they paid. The full bedroom rate for an executive suite is approx £170 a night. There are several deals on offer but by far the best currently is a Travelzoo deal of £67 a night for an executive room plus an allowance towards the first evening meal. This is what we paid and on this basis I would give the hotel 3.5 stars....at the full rate or a small discount I would rate it 2.5....so I think 3 stars is fair overall.

So, what's good and not so good. We had an executive room and this was spacious and clean with good heating , piping hot water, and an efficient shower as well as a good size bath. On the other hand, the bed we found somewhat uncomfortable with a tendency to roll towards the middle of the bed,and the room decor and furnishings were really bland . Cosy it was not.

Food and service were also mixed. Staff were generally friendly and trying their best but there were not enough of them so delays became inevitable. I see another reviewer found dinner service OK but breakfast not so. Our experience was the reverse...breakfast was fine but dinner was really slow with the skeleton staff rushed off their feet. It would appear service is a bit hit and miss: you may be lucky or you may hit a busier time and wait too long.

Food experience was also mixed. We thought the breakfasts were excellent. Well cooked and tasty and a wide range of cooked items available. Our one night's dinner was less successful. I ordered rack of lamb and got what was really a lamb chop;meat on one bone which would have gone in two mouthfuls. I complained and the plate was taken back. The replacement came back after my wife had finished her meal. My replacement meal was quite acceptable, my wife said her fish was "OK".
We ate out our other 2 nights and I strongly recommend the Bell Inn in Carlton Colville ( about a 10 minute drive away). I have done a separate review of this but we both thought the food was outstanding.

So, back to the Ivy. We left feeling that we got a good deal at the Travelzoo price but based on the negatives we experienced, we won't be returning.

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2018 via mobile

Very pleased with both the hotel and the location. We stayed in an executive room in the farmhouse building and had no complaints at all about anything. We booked direct with the hotel and paid the full rate rather than getting a cheap deal so may have got a better room but either way we had a lovely weekend and would definitely return.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Quest58329457870
Reviewed 2 November 2018

At £69.00 per night for B & B (plus a £20.00 per person dinner allowance for one night) through Travel Zoo, this represented excellent value for money. Dinner was superb; both the cuisine, the service, and the surroundings. Breakfast (despite the white linen table cloths - a rarity these days) was disappointing. There's lack of coordination amongst staff. More than once we were asked the same question by two people. They seem to prefer to clear tables rather than take breakfast orders. Close to the finish of breakfast time one day,we were asked if everything was okay; the person failed to realise we hadn't ordered breakfast, despite our clean plates.

According to the brochure "we source almost all of our ingredients locally". This does not appear to relate to the breakfast faire. Yoghurt from an unknown Scottish company (no choice; only low fat), one grey tasteless sausage, etc. We knew it was spread instead of butter on the table; when we asked for butter, we were given the same spread. An omlette was a disaster; overcooked and uneatable.

In summary, fine for a "posh" evening meal, but we wouldn't stay here again.

Our "executive" room was spacious, but the decor and furnishings were bland and dated; corporate in looks. It's a long time since I've seen a trouser press. The flat screen TV was tiny; not at all suited to the size of the room. The bathroom was tired looking. A very small shower cublicle, with nowhere to leave shower gel, etc other than on the shower tray. By the second day the small tablet of cheap hand soap was a mere sliver; the room attendant did not think to replace it.

The surroundings were much better. We talk a walk (and I also went for a run) in the adjacent Oulton Broad. No good for bird watching, however, because of the tall, dense reeds (although the brochure does not promise this).

Room tip: Courtyard rooms are slightly cheaper. The bathrooms may be better, but the bedroom is not (according to one reviewer).
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2018 via mobile

Had an amazing meal with the quickest service I’ve been subjected to, Matthew and Erin provide an exceptional service. Jake and Emma gave a very welcoming greeting. Amazing meal and will be coming back again.

Trip type: Travelled with family