“It's time for a change!”
Review of The Blue Boar - CLOSED

The Blue Boar
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Having visited The Blue Boar in previous years we have always regarded it as our little treat and enjoy visiting whenever we are in the area. So it is with sadness that we feel compelled to write this review.

I'm not going to go into detail of what happened, but needless to say, it wasn't the finest moment we ever had at The Blue Boar but feel it can be turned around again, but only if the owners step up and take responsibility for their business.

Firstly, Gable who is the new Duty Manager is friendly, eager to improve the restaurant and has good customer service skills. Yes, he is still getting to grips with the business and still has things to learn, but his attitude is great, under pressure he remains professional, courteous and organised, and given the right opportunity to realise his ideas for the restaurant I believe he could be the saving grace for this place.

Tough decisions need to be made and they need to be made starting with the kitchen. In an open kitchen it's easy to see most of the things that are going on, I observed face touching, sneering with an open disregard for the Manager and the customers. If these cooks can't be removed, they must be retrained and upskilled before attempting to cook another meal. I would also suggest that any customers complaining about food quality should have a personal apology from the cook responsible. Maybe if they have to face the customers they might up their game a bit. I observed Gable giving feedback to the cooks about our meals and they both shrugged it off and carried on. This type of response is not down to managerial style, it's down to poor attitude of the cooks. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's them that cooked the food that caused ALL of our issues, it was nothing to do with Gable and his front house team.

3  Thank markfR1314GI

Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

Unfortunately believe all the reviews.

My cousin booked the room for her 50th and we had a wonderful time due to the company of our friends and family.

BUT buffet not what was ordered, many items missing and thoroughly disappointing. Is there even a chef there?

When complained the next day to I assume the owner, they blamed my cousin and threatened to call police and throw him out.

You couldn’t make it up!!

There are plenty of other great quality establishments in Lowestoft and there are 30 of us that won’t be visiting Blue Boar again...pass it on!

7  Thank terminus69
Reviewed 11 May 2018 via mobile

It is a shame when a once very nice pub/restaurant goes downhill .
This one has now fallen off the precipice
I am not going to blame the staff ,they are all much too young
and do not appear to have any proper training from the management/ owners and subsequently have no idea how to successfully operate a retail operation.
I guess that most of,if not all the crew are under the age of 22 after which the minimum wage has to be paid.
I will not go into the detail of our last ever visit just to say that one of our group was physically sick after one bite of a rancid fish meal and no one had any idea how to treat that other than to not charge our group for any food and drink we had.
Of course we received an apology but with experienced and trained professionals this wouldn't ever happen.
The young staff should never ever be put in this situation,I totally blame the management/ owners

4  Thank PhillipG891
Reviewed 8 May 2018 via mobile

We went for dinner with the family on Sunday evening, We have been before and the food has always been good but this time things have changed dramatically and it was just terrible.

Where to start.... we waited for a very long time for menus,drinks and gluten free options which it seemed the waitress and very worryingly the chef had no real idea about.

We ordered macaroni cheese for our 18 month old granddaughter what turned up was chicken, bacon and leek pasta with cheese on the top.

My wife's pork belly was absolutely tiny and burnt with a completely tastless sauce and the plate was swimming in vegetable water.

Daughter's burger was over cooked as was her sweet potato fries.

The hunters chicken was an overcooked disgrace with a handful of burnt chips on the side.

My chicken burger turned up as a beef burger, this was changed in less the than 5 minutes!! Clearly microwaved and the same garnish was left on the plate from the original beef burger and was stone cold the dish was inedible.

Not once were we offered more drinks or asked if everything was ok, they tried to take our plates whilst we were still attempting to eat then never came back again at all so we were never offered desserts.

They have an open kitchen which I really like but not when you can see the chef eating, constantly flicking his hair out of his eyes and picking at his arm and face.

The pub is really lovely and deserves to be very much better than this.

6  Thank Stuart P
Reviewed 11 April 2018

We received £50 voucher from parents six months ago, when trying to use at the blue boar they were not accepted, apparently expired, however the voucher did not have an expiry date.
The blue boar will not honour the vouchers.
As a long term user of the blue boar, I will not frequent again....disgusting

8  Thank Scott M