Reviews (1 424)
1 424 results
All reviews estuary view welcome drink complimentary gin and sherry lighting system cinema room on arrival lovely hotel white company toiletries little touches car park crab steam room stunning location beautiful room out of season relaxing stay following morning
17 - 22 of 1 424 reviews
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We have just come back from a weekend away at the Salcombe Harbour Hotel & unfortautnely I was very dissapointed. Myself and partner arrived a little early to the hotel, however agreed to go into town instead of having our complimentary drink early & save that for later. Upon return we had our drink and awaited for check in at 3pm as advised – we had massages booked for 3.30pm. We kept returning to the front desk and asking if our room was ready and by this point it was 3.15pm, pushing 3.20pm and I was getting a little stressed. Given that this is £300+ hotel I would have expected an offer of a further drink for the inconvenience with the wait however this was not mentioned. We did however finally check in & the concierge was very helpful with our bags etc. Upon check in we weren’t told anything about the facilities however within the hotel as you’d normally expect, it was very rushed – I later found a cinema, how do I book that? Breakfast hours? – I later had to call down and ask for these, think there could have been some more TLC given to us.
When we finally got up to the room we had a brief tour however there was no mention of where the price list was for the mini bar – to which they strategically hide (As I called and ask) behind all the snacks that are laid out for your disposal – be aware that they are not free! The free gin & sherry in the room however is a nice touch, however the fact it comes with no mixer is evidently how they make their money off the mini bar. We did mention that we needed an iron but she told us to ring down for it - clearly too much effort for her to arrange that for us !
After rushing downstairs for our massages we were informed that we should have bought our robes down from our room if we were staying there – how an earth were we meant to know that? I did mention to the front desk several times that I needed to check in as I had a massage! We had our treatments & went to use the pool facilities of which there is a jacuzzi that you have to keep turning on manually rather than relaxing, and a strange ‘pebble’ room that was just in complete darkness (im not sure what it was meant to be). Additional to this, there are only a limited number of sunbeds around the edge, however given the size of the area I appreciate there isn’t too much you can do there but put up some extra hooks for towels.
After we returned from the spa I had a heart sinking moment that I had been asked to take my necklace off for the massage and pop it in my robe pocket – of which I had put in the changing room laundry bin! I frantically called down and asked if they could check for me to which I got told that they most probably had been emptied and put in a towel room. I was a little taken-a-back by the careless attitude that the staff had shown towards this – appreciate it may be like looking for a needle in a hay stack but an offer of giving it her best shot would have been appreciated -it had only been 2 hours so I’m sure somebody had just remembered emptying those bins! Unfortunately however I never had a call back to even show an effort of looking?! I even had to say on the phone ‘well could you maybe give it a go as its an expensive necklace?!’.
Finally, with regards to breakfast, the food really was fantastic & whilst it did put a downer on the mood slightly that a man was complaining about the wait of his food next to us for over 30 mins, we fortunately got ours & proceeded to check out.
Overall the hotel is absolutely beautiful, however it is evident that the staff aren’t really giving the ‘over and above’ attitude that you would expect from a hotel like this. Having been to the one in Christchurch I can see that level of service isn’t quite there yet so I would be sceptical about visiting this hotel if it was for a special treat (As it was for us!).

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alicebrunn93
Jason P, General Manager at Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear alicebolt

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, I am of course disappointed to read it's contents. Please could I ask that you contact me directly on jason.parry@harbourhotels.co.uk in order for me to investigate it fully. Thank you once again and I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

On first impression the position of the hotel is outstanding with a stunning view of the estuary. The hotel with fancy turn table for the cars and reception area all very good. Staff are very pleasant. We paid for an estuary view room with the view not disappointing at all, what was disappointing was the standard of the room. Mattress so uncomfortable, we could feel the springs (even after they put a mattress topper on) the fancy light switches didn’t work, sliding bathroom door too heavy to slide, couldn’t lock it either as damaged, broken bathroom window, rusty bathroom blind, balcony area had rust on and peeling paint work. Rooms are not quiet you can hear next door neighbours talk etc !!!
The dining area needs a good clean, the chairs are disgusting stains over all of them . Breakfast was good, service hit & miss depending on who was on the floor. Evening meal menu for the DB&B rate was poor and same every night. My meal was luke warm on one of the nights but I didn’t say anything as didn’t want to wait for another.
The Spa pool area was nice, shame the view has been taken partially away from the villas they have built in front. The spa pool again needs some maintenance, the shower area was disgusting and needed cleaning with empty and broken bottles of shampoo & hair etc. The gym equipment was ok just a shame again the view has gone so u work out looking at the rear of the buildings.
I did have a word with the manager when I left suggesting some titivation needed, especially seen as the harbour group are building yet another hotel in Torquay, they don’t seem to want to keep their remaining hotels up to scratch. I must say I don’t think Jason cared about what I had to say. I have a feeling the group doesn’t have a great customer relations policy. Real shame as I would have visited other hotels in their group as I am based on the south coast, but to be honest I’m not impressed.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bex36Portsmouth

Dear Bex36Portsmouth

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, I am very sorry that you felt I didn't care about your feedback and can assure you that I most certainly and indeed have addressed all of the points you raised when we spoke. I would very much like to follow this up with you further and please do contact me directly on jason.parry@harbourhotels.co.uk. Thank you once again and I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Reviewed 14 October 2018 via mobile

For various reasons we missed out on our summer holiday this year so thought we’d take a short break (4 nights) at the Harbour Hotel in Salcombe, South Devon.

You could not beat the location with stunning view of Salcombe Harbour.
Room service a little moody. We had a lie in on Sunday morning and were made to feel that we were holding up the room servicing.

The food menu is the same rather unimaginative menu every evening ( we stayed four nights and resorted to a local pub for a better menu and better food). Not much for vegetarians and if you like lamb pork or duck, then give it a miss; they’re not on the menu (or at least our menu). Service at meals ambivalent. Waited 20 mins for tea and toast at breakfast and had to ask three times. Got the impression that if we didn’t ask we wouldn’t receive it. One waiter and one waitress very impressive but seem overworked and understaffed.

Asked at reception for a street map of Salcombe but they didn’t have one.

This hotel is rather expensive for what you can expect, that is apart from the views of course. Not the usual service and food that you be entitled to expect for this price.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NetherStowey21
Jason P, General Manager at Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2018

Dear NetherStowey21

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, I am of course disappointed to read it's contents. Please could I ask you to contact me directly on jason.parry@harbourhotels.co.uk in order for me to address this for you. I thank you once again and look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Reviewed 10 October 2018

Yes the car park is tight but the good news is someone will park your vehicle for you! Lovely welcome from staff and enjoyed a welcome drink admiring the amazing views. I would only stay in a room with a balcony as the view down the estuary is quite spectacular! Try for a room on the 3rd floor for the best views.

A few niggles - having to ask for water 3 times in the restaurant and never receiving the ice/lemon in the evening also the water in the spa was always empty when I went for a cool drink but these things aside it was a wonderful stay.

Wanted to ask about treatments but the girl in the spa was always on the phone chatting to friends when I passed so I didn't bother so I can't comment on the treatments but the pool area was lovely. The food in the restaurant was good (great breakfast) but we enjoyed Boatswain in the town more if I'm honest.

Saving up for a return visit!

Room Tip: Balcony rooms on top floor are the best - no aircon in this hotel
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Jason P, General Manager at Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2018

Dear vegiana

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay so much. I appreciate your feeback on the other points and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

The hotel enjoys fabulous views and it's an easy stroll to town.
Our room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The lighting system is not at all user friendly. So complicated. It was impossible to put the bathroom light on in the middle of the night without ALL the lights coming on. Four zones which seemed to create flashing disco lights if you pushed the wrong zone. When asked at reception if everything was fine with our stay I did give feedback about the lights. Dissapointing that my feedback was not taken on board. Instead the receptionist immediately went into defense mode negating my experience. Perhaps some staff training is required here. If this is the customers experience don't argue the point!
The restaurant staff were friendly but the food somewhat hit and miss. Tempura prawns were tasty. The lobster mac and cheese just plain awful. Breakfast was fine, as expected. It was a pleasant stay but I don't think I would return.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank Suzie E

Dear Suzie E

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, please contact me directly on jason.parry@harbourhotels.co.uk in order for me to address these issues for you personally. Thank you once again for this invaluable feedback and I look forward to hearing from you in due course.