See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 September 2018

I knew this was going to be a bad place when I offered the Big Issue seller at the door two quid and he said "keep it mate, you will need it for the upgrade" Boy was he right! What a dump, the last time I saw a place like this Steptoe was sitting in the sink.

Rude staff, dated rooms, but to be fair, they moved us twice. The next morning we gave up and drove to Telford and stayed there. I suggest you do the same.

When they get round to flattening this place I want to press the big Red Button.

I've never been in a Bail Hostel, but from what Ive seen on TV, this is as close at it gets. I expected to see Louis Theroux interviewing guests.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Dr-Love-MD
Reviewed 14 September 2018 via mobile

CAUTION!!!! The Material your about to read might be unsettling and straight to the point.

Jesus Christ where do I even start with this horrible hotel. From the outside it didn’t look to bad as looked very posh (Downton Abbey style) untill you went inside the hotel that is.....

Not sure who was the interior designer but they need to be fired or sacked. As never seen so much cheap, tacky, furniture in my life...

Finally went up to the desk and was greeted with a hello to me and my mate. Which was good and sorted out the booking conformation quickly and our keys were given.

The Lift didn’t work which wasn’t a surprise and the corridors floors were squeaky as spongebob squarepants boots which was annoying as hell..

when finally arrived at the room my soul almost left my body, by how terrible and ugly my room looked. From how it was styled and it looked like columbo the detective next crime scene of how bizarre the room was was.

The bed wasn’t even a bed as it looked like it was a dinner canteen table with wheels, as well as a mattress on top of it but covered..

when looking around the room also I found that there was a squirted brown stain across the discoloured striped floor which made me feel very sick. And was hoping to god that it was the cleaner, Costa coffee they might have spelt when so called...clearing the room.

But I couldn't sleep at all throughout the whole night due to bus station robot voice (Siri mother) talking every 15 minutes which was very irritating.

Once I woke up from that uncomfortable
and restless sleep, my bedcover also came off. And found loads of long black straight hair under the bedcover. I for a fact that Kim Kardashian didn’t come by on her travels to take a nap so not sure who hair that was which was distgusting to find out.

The best part of the hotel was leaving it and great way of improving it, is knocking it down but lovely reception staff though.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
5  Thank Arnold H
Reviewed 14 September 2018 via mobile

If I had the option to give this hotel zero stars I will have given to them! I arrived on Tuesday, 11th of September, ask for a room for one night. The man in the reception at first gave me a dirty and already used room and without apologise to me he change my room to a different one. When I open the room a very bad smell was in the room so I quickly ran and open the window! The curtains were stained and dusty as well with the carpet! I pick the breakfast menu and all these leaflets were available on the desk were all dusted! The toilet was dirty and the bathroom curtain was stained as well! I told myself is only for one night so I went to sleep and I find one massive black hair across the pillow and the quilt cover. I felt so uncomfortable and disgusting I slept on top of the bed cause I didn’t wanna cover my body with these bedsheets! You might be think I’m exaggerating but I had a rash on my body the next morning PLEASE PEOPLE SAVE YOUR MONEY AND PAY A LITTLE BIT MORE FOR A MUCH BETTER HOTEL THAN THIS SHITWHOLE!

Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo
4  Thank elli m
Reviewed 14 September 2018

I have never in my life been treated so poorly as I have by the horrendous receptionist at the Britannia. We booked a room on booking.com which was confirmed but after making the journey that evening we were told that they weren't going to honour our booking as they were full up and had no rooms available. Apparently they were overbooked and had been booked up all day but didn't bother to contact us to let us know. If that wasn't bad enough we then had to deal with a particularly hostile receptionist - no apology, no sympathy just a terrible "oh well, there's nothing we can do about it" attitude. Oh and while we were talking to this receptionist we also had the pleasure of hearing her shout at another guest. Just a shabby, unprofessional tip of a hotel and one we'll never be staying at again.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank vanessalc_51
Reviewed 9 September 2018

stayed one night two weeks ago. First on the positive side, the staff we met were friendly and helpful.
Bad points, the hotel is very run down and in need of a massive investment to get it up to a decent standard. We were given a room opposite busy roadworks which started drilling and banging around midnight and carried on until dawn, it was so bad if we hadn't had a drink in the evening we would have driven home in the middle of the night.
We have since complained by phone and email but have had no response from the area managers

I definitely would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple