See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 March 2018 via mobile

This is the most disgusting, dirty, unhygenic place that I have been to in a very long time. The place needs to be closed as it poses a health hazard to the public. The staff are very unfriendly and don't care about their clientele. I asked for a room change and the new room is worst than the first one.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Copied from original review on the hotel
I am currently lying in a single bed with my medical needs daughter, I want to cry, having had to find a hotel in an emergency 11pm due to theatre starting late and over running and the last train home bring cancelled, -5 outside blowing a gale and snow storm!! I had to book into this hotel, being charged £50 when the couple next to me were being charged £30. desperately in need of food and first being told by lady on reception that due to my circumstances I could go and get food for my daughter and bring it in, I had to leave my daughter in the room whilst I went out to get food, came back to find door locked, knocked on the door and rang the bell with three other guests only to be faced by their security on re-entry and told to throw away the food before he would let me back in!!! I tried to explain the agreement I had with receptionist, he said “I don’t care” “read the f***ing sign” I have since found out that he agreed to my arrangement with receptionist,
Room 316, windows were closed but curtains were waving about in the wind that was coming through them, snow and ice on the INSIDE!!!! I had to use the other mattress to try and quell the cold coming through, Quilt on bed next to window was wet!! I have pictures as proof!! I rang down to reception and got security guard I came across before, I asked for another room but I could barely get a word in edgeways as he told me “all the rooms are the same” “if you don’t like it leave” I got upset and told him I will make a complaint and report him, he said “I don’t care, I will deny talking to you” Don’t go near this place!!!! Heating was luke warm, no breakfast available, told WiFi doesnt reach our room, ignored by customer services email!!! And their number is premium rate,

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 February 2018

I stayed here on Saturday 24th February. We got to the hotel and the first thing I noticed was the receptionist sour face. When we booked the hotel online the room came with wifi and breakfast with our room on arrival we were not told anything about the wifi and breakfast!. We goto our room to find the light bulbs were out in the bathroom and the heating didn't work. This is disgusting as its late winter early spring! i was shivering all night! We had no clue what time check out was but we presumed it was around 10 as we had the maids knocking on our door asking to clean! This is a disgusting place, the decor is terrible and the staff needs to learn how to smile. will not be staying here again.

Room Tip: stay away from room 246
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 February 2018

I am not going to slate this hotel completely - it does have its good points, there just aren't very many of them! - so I hope my review will help you make an informed decision about whether to stay here.

1. Cost. I got a room for £33 - if you're on a budget, you can't fault the place.
2. Location. Can't beat it. Literally minutes from the train station, and as centrally located as you can get.
3. The hotel still has smoking rooms! Not sure how that is even legal, but I wasn't complaining.

Now the bad points -

1. In common with every other Britannia hotel I have stayed in, this one is in desperate need of being dragged kicking and screaming into the present. My room actually had a trouser press, for Pete's sake. The hotel itself is a really beautiful old building, which would be even better if money was spent on it, but as it is the place looks like something out of The Shining...
2. Rubbish under one of the beds when I got to my room.
3. Toilet didn't flush, shower didn't work either. Luckily there was a bath!
4. No heating worth speaking of, and it was VERY cold last night. The radiator in my room was luke warm at best, and had a bed jammed up against it which prevented what little heat there was from reaching the rest of the room.

In short, if you're on a budget and not too fussy, this place is fine for one night...if you're thinking of taking your significant other here for a romantic weekend, I'd advise against it. Unless you're trying to tell them something, that is.

Room Tip: If they give you room 125, ask to be moved. I'm probably not allowed to say why in this review, but just Google it...
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank blackdahlia
Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

Location is perfect. Very central. Breakfast was good, and the lady who was greeting for breakfast was the best staff member we encountered.
Now onto the rest...
The room was rather small, not an issue to us, but pictures shown are hugely deceiving.
The lamp shades were filthy (pictured).
The bathroom was dirty and mouldy (again pictured).
There was what looked like a tampon under the bed (pictured).
Overall, we were really dissatisfied and didn't really want to bring this up at the time as we saw how they brushed off someone else's complaints whilst we were waiting to check in.
The no food or drinks to be brought into the hotel from elsewhere is ridiculous. I have never had that rule in a hotel ever!
We ended up going out for dinner as the restaurant was only open from 6:30pm - 8:00pm, which is no time at all really!
But for someone like myself who needs to take medications with food at specific times, this wasn't really useful.
We had to ask when and where breakfast was. No explanation at check in until we asked after we'd been wished a pleasant stay.
The hotel advertises there is free WiFi, but we were not told about this until we asked and we were then told the signal didn't reach the rooms. What use is that!?
Dust and damp all in the room as well.
Also, there was no tv remote, which meant we had to get up every time we wanted to change the channel on the tv.
Overall, I am severely disappointed in the hotel. The only reason I have given 1 star happily is because the breakfast gave it some bonus points. Oh and you can't give none!
I would never recommend someone stay here, as I'm sure there are much cleaner and nicer places to stay locally for only a slight increase in price.
I would advise people to avoid like the plague!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple