“Pleasant Garden”

Ranked #16 of 35 Restaurants in Hay-on-Wye
Price range: US$6 - US$18
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A casual dining experience in an 18th century inn. Savoury pies, made on the premises from local ingredients, are the speciality with light lunches, salads and snacks also available. A host of real ales, craft beers, traditional ciders and fine wines juggle for position on the bar for diners and drinkers alike.
Reviewed 8 October 2018

We were fortunate to have an excellent sunny day at the end of September so were able to sit outside in an excellent beer garden. The service was a little slow behind the bar but everyone was pleasant, beer and food were good and good value, would certainly recommend.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 29 June 2018

Nice place for a quiet pint. Good selection of local beers and cider. Friendly service and seats in the shade outside.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 3 June 2018

I was struggling to find an outdoor table on a hot bank holiday Monday, but managed to find one here. My shandy was refreshingly cool, and the sandwich certainly tasty enough, and the wait reasonable given the pressure on the kitchen. On a repeat visit I would definitely opt for white bread as the doorstep sandwich delivered to a neighbouring table looked a much more satisfying option than the dainty brown bread job I had ordered!

Reviewed 23 May 2018 via mobile

I remember Kilverts in it’s hey day when it was a great pub with great food and drinks. That was not the case today. I was shocked to the core by the bad service, nasty food and overcharging. We arrived after our friends had started eating and they told us the food was poor. They had lasagna which was warm as the waitress forgot cutlery so went back to get it. Then they asked for dressing for their salad so the girl said she had to take it back to the kitchen as the chef would not let the dressing out of the kitchen! WTF?
We were told they had a limited menu and so I ordered two half pints, a bowl of soup and some deep fried Camembert. When I got home I realised I had been overcharged as they charged for two pints! The soup was cold and the waitress had to go back twice as first time she brought cutlery she forgot a spoon! You can’t eat soup with a knife and fork.
My Camembert was ok but salad was rough and no dressing and I did not want it taken away again. We will not be returning unless they change drastically.

Reviewed 19 May 2018

During a quick trip to Wales with some friends, we stopped in Hay on Wye and had dinner at this restaurant. As a vegan, I thought I would have to settle for some vegetables and a salad, so you can imagine how surprised I was when I found out that... there was a vegan pie!! It was served with 2 sides of choice and it was damn tasty (and filling too).