All reviews highclere castle the pub the toilet roll holder sunday roast sorbet great lunch road noise pie main road rooms are small stayed for two nights fish and chips excellent stay sea bass booked a table shower head main course
Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

Lovely little find for lunch after visiting Highclere castle. Friendly staff and excellent (table) service in the bar area.
Would recommend the Sunday roast sandwiches with roast potatoes. Would definitely visit again if in the area.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
DOXFORDS, General Manager at The Carnarvon Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2018

Hi Kim
Thank you so much for the great review, I will have great pleasure in passing your comments on to all my team and I look forward to seeing you all soon

Regards
Dave Keogh

Reviewed 3 August 2018 via mobile

We stayed for one night. Had dinner in pub (main restaurant room was we were told closed - a real disappointment as it has a totally different feel). Nonetheless the food was really good and the service friendly and efficient. Breakfast the next morning also excellent with a very friendly lady server.

The bit between dinner and breakfast was a nightmare. The room was very noisy (the hotel has a motorway on one side and a busy A road on the other), hot (no a/c or fan so windows were open which only made the road feel closer), was lit up by a very large and bright ‘fire exit’ sign, and needed a good clean (it was seriously grubby and dusty). We could have coped with all of that had the mattress not been the worst we had slept on in years. Just awful - think rolling into the middle.... We left shattered and annoyed to have spent over £100 for a terrible nights sleep. My advice: go for a lovely lunch or dinner but go stay in a holiday inn express instead.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank colinreynolds
DOXFORDS, General Manager at The Carnarvon Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2018

Dear Mr Reynolds
Thank you for your time to review the Carnarvon arms, I am delighted you enjoyed your food and service and am rather upset about room 119 that you stayed in. I can only apologise about the heat that we have experienced this past month or so and you are right we do not have AC in the rooms or fans available for all rooms. If we had a spare fan we would have given to you of course. I have asked my HK team for a full cleaning schedule for room 119 and I have myself just checked the room.
I will have this mattress looked at after the weekend to see if it does need to be changed, and will do so if needed.
Please do come and see us again and contact me directly when you plan to do so

Regards
Dave Keogh

Reviewed 29 July 2018 via mobile

My wife and I have just got back from staying here and had a very enjoyable weekend.
Arrival
We were greeted upon arrival and check in was very easy. The room was clean and tidy, nice race horse theme throughout. They were cleaned both days of our stay with fresh towels. My only complaint was the small shower cubicle, if you are a little bigger than the average I can't see that you would be able to get In the shower!
Dinner
We had a lovely dinner on the Friday night (3 courses! ) Each one was brilliant and very tasty, highly recommend the squid!
Breakfast
......the first morning we came in for breakfast at 9.15 having gone for an early morning run round highclere castle. We were the only ones in the restaurant and the waitress took us to a table and took our drinks order and said help ourselves to the continental breakfast at the bar. We did this and sat back down she then came back and took our main breakfast order, but no drinks. She was chatting to another couple on their way out and then another couple going back to their room. It was now 15mins since we sat down and still had not been served our tea and coffee. She was still chatting and I could here the bell keep ringing in the kitchen (assumingly this was for our breakfast ready) at 9.45 she brought our breakfast out......my full English was cold and my wife's eggs Benedict royale was also cold. I asked for it to go back and also reminded her that she was still yet to bring out drinks. It was not the start to the day we were hoping for as it was my wife's birthday, she did apologies but didn't seem too worried about it. I can understand when it's busy it may take time but 30 mins in empty restaurant to wait for a tea and coffee was not acceptable, I thought we may have been offered a drink or something as an opoligy but nothing, she just said I will make a note of your long wait..... The next morning she seemed to avoid us and we were served by the younger waitress and had our drinks within minutes and it was busy!
Overall
The landlord was very friendly and the pub has a great atmosphere, I would recommend, also it's very close to the castle.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2018 via mobile

Perfect place to stay if you are visiting Highclere Castle. The room was nice, the bathroom a bit small but adequate for a short stay. If you stay here pay the extra for the English breakfast, it was delicious and a huge serving which set us up for the day! We ate dinner in the pub and that was good too! The staff were friendly and welcoming, it felt like it was our local even though we were only there one night. We would stay here again next time we are in the Newbury area!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple

Hi Britlisa
Thank you for your fabulous review, It was a pleasure looking after you and your family on that day. I will have great pleasure in passing on your great comments to all the team, I do hope to see you both again in the future

Regards Dave

Reviewed 23 July 2018

My friend and I were very impressed that the menu showed smaller portion options for the main course. We had the fish and chips, which were delicious, and had room for a dessert - not usually possible with the enormous portions which are so often the case these days. Hope more places do this.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends

Hi dijoromi
Thank you for your fabulous review, It was a pleasure looking after you and your family on that day. I will have great pleasure in passing on your great comments to all the team & I look forward to seeing you soon

Regards Dave