All reviews the barn fish pie the pub box of chocolates main building coaching inn car park highclere castle plenty of parking comfortable room wedding reception one night stay pudding full english breakfast food was lovely sunday lunch newbury races
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Had to book at short notice for a stay in Newbury. Hare and Hounds was available and very close to where I needed to be so booked in. Rate was very reasonable and my room was very clean and tide with tea, coffee, etc. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful and a warm welcome will be received.

I didn't eat or drink as I arrived late and left early. However, the food I did see looked very appetising and lots of it. Breakfast was included but had to skip as left early.

All in all a good night, comfy bed and good nights sleeo - recommended. Oh, and plenty of parking.

Room Tip: Upstairs is probably quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled on business
hareandhounds, Owner at Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Ed N

Thank for your review, just sorry you hadn’t time to try our food!
Maybe next time you’ll have chance to sample a local real ale and our great dinner menu! Or atleast our breakfast, freshly cooked to order!
Hope to see you again

Reviewed 30 September 2018 via mobile

Service was very disappointing! We booked for Sunday lunch having heard and seen positive reviews but were left very disappointed after ordering our drinks from the bar, being shown to a table and given menus only to be left there for 40 minutes without being acknowledged. Being a patient couple we didn’t complain as the restaurant was fairly busy but we were beginning to get very irritated and hungry. Another couple was then seated next to us and their order taken after 5 minutes even though our menus were fully visible on our table. We decided to leave ,paid for our drinks at the bar and told the staff that we had not been acknowledged in 35 minutes. Not at all happy!

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
hareandhounds, Owner at Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2018

Dear PeaKay

Please accept my sincere apologies to add to those I know my Restaurant and Bar Manager has already emailed you. This is certainly not a normal occurrence and we will be discussing how it happened to ensure there is no repeat.
We do have a good team here but mistakes can happen and when they do we can only apologise and hope we get the chance to correct our error. I will call you in the hope we may be able to resolve what was understandably very disappointing
My own and all here’s apologies again
Jonathan
Owner

Reviewed 23 September 2018 via mobile

Came here for my 30th birthday celebrations was my first time here and will definitely be returning in future
Food was cooked very very fast (both starters and mains) staff where very friendly and the landlord was a very generous person giving me a free drink because of it being my birthday and staff presenting me with a cake and a plate with brownies and strawberries with happy 30th birthday wrote on it in strawberry sauce
Lovely atmosphere and surroundings
Highly recommend just for the friendliness towards their customer base alone as well as the great food

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
hareandhounds, Owner at Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2018

Dear Sm2288

Thanks for a great review, I’m so pleased we made your birthday meal one to remember!

As an inn we pride ourselves on our food and are lucky to have such a stunning restaurant in The Barn. Mostly though it’s the people we get to work alongside that make The Hare and Hounds special and they deserve all the praise they get!

Your taking the time to let all here know what a good job they did does, I can assure you, mean a lot to us!

Thanks again, see you soon

Reviewed 18 September 2018

We had Sunday lunch here, set menu, to celebrate 3 birthdays. The staff were absolutely superb, so helpful. A three quarter length side zip on my dress had broken so I was mortified when I arrived. Once my predicament was shared a staff member was sent off to provide me with a safety pin. Fortunately, I also had a cardigan with me so my modesty was preserved. The staff accommodated three rather large balloons (3 birthdays to be celebrated and looked after the cake for me. I'd forgotten to bring candles - no problem, candles provided.

The food was very good. A nice surprise was the vegetables: roast potatoes, roast parsnips, ratatouille, a creamed leek dish, red cabbage and carrots. Definitely got our 5 a day. Except for the carrots the veg looked rather mushy. mushy they may be however they were truly delicious. Even my husband, who hates vegetables, said how enjoyable they were - a great accolade indeed.

Service was very good and even when there was a slight mishap with a dish of veg the incident was dealt with promptly, efficiently and with sincere apologies - what more could you ask for?

Very good value for money, would highly recommend.

Toilets were immaculate.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family

Dear Lin

Thank you for such a great review!

Our website says simply
EAT SLEEP DRINK It’s what we do, it’s all we do, and we pride ourselves on doing it reasonably well!

On behalf of us all thank you for taningbthe time to let us know our efforts are so appreciated, it really does mean a lot!

See you soon

Reviewed 6 September 2018

I have stayed here a month now. I get a great sleep. WiFi is excellent. Food is top notch. I cant fault any of it. The breakfast keeps me going most of the day. A nice pint of good old boy at the end of the day !!!.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
hareandhounds, Owner at Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2018

Dear reddingtont

Thanks for your review and for choosing us as your home from home!
Webrealise no one really wants to stay away from home but needs must and we pride ourselves on the high level of regular repeat trade that we have.
See you again very soon!!
Jonathan and all of us at your favourite Inn!!