All reviews summer house golf course lake view main building clay pigeon shooting underfloor heating wet room round of golf driving range afternoon tea no lift third floor old house patio area golf break lovely setting highclere castle
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

stayed here 1 night for our wedding anniversary. It is a quirky hotel with fun architecture and decor in desperate need of a refresh and a good deep clean. My particular favorite was the chicken bone left on the dining room floor at breakfast from the night before. It is in a lovely setting and a very quiet nights sleep.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Nigel G, General Manager at Donnington Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear DP470000000000000000,

Thank you for taking the time to write with your comments, following your recent visit to Donnington Grove.

I was really pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and I am extremely sorry to learn you discovered shortfalls in the dining room, this is very embarrassing and I have highlighted your comments to the restaurant team to ensure this never occurs again.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Donnington Grove in the near future - perhaps to experience Beau's Bar and Restaurant late November, once the refurbishment is complete.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The building and sounding is beautiful but the inside of the hotel is so tired, very low standard and rooms in poor condition, the walls and floors are dirty and it smells. No fridge or minibar, the hairdryer is so old that it barely blows. It draws from the old windows and the curtains was old and dirty. It sounds very much in walls when people are flushing in the toilet or showers. This whole house must be completely renovated to have a standard that is for a 3 star hotel.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank AHS69100

Dear AHS69100,

Firstly thank you for choosing to stay at Donnington Grove, I was very sorry indeed to read of your obvious disappointment.

May I sincerely apologise that you found cause to suggest our hotel is completely renovated to maintain the three stars awarded by the AA, in recognition for the services provided. We do have a wide range of bedrooms in the main house and within the estate; adjacent on the lawn is The Summer House and Lake View, these have a modern interior that you may prefer and I am very sorry that we missed the opportunity to correct your dissatisfaction. I know my team would have done everything possible to offer alternatives to you, during you recent visit, if they had been made aware.

We are very proud of the housekeeping standards and may I apologise further if you found there to be shortfalls. I could not find the dirty walls and floor you refer to, the blind was clean, however, I have noted some gloss painting to woodwork for the maintenance team. All bedrooms have a modern hand held hairdryer, along with Iron/board, premium tea and coffee making facilities, complimentary water, ice and fresh milk. Some also have a wall mounted dryer in the bathrooms and I am sorry that it appears this was the one that underperformed.

I value guest feedback as a measure of the hotel's performance and upon this occasion it appears your experience did not leave you with the memories and demonstrate the customer service levels we are normally proud to deliver. Should you consider a return visit in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will personally make arrangements and recommendations for your stay so that you leave with memories for the right reasons.

Thank you once again for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention.

Yours sincerely,
gm@donnington-grove.com

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Stayed in one of the lake view rooms after a day at Newbury races. Room was clean and a good size with a decent shower. Being located away from the main building was fine just a short walk for the bar and breakfast. Great view of the grounds and lake from the room with a nice patio at the front to sit and enjoy a morning coffee.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear neil t,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Donnington Grove and for taking the time to write your review.

It was a pleasure to read your comments and these are shared with the team as I know they are encouraged by such positive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Donnington Grove in the near future, keep a look out for Beau's Bar and restaurant (NEW!) opens late November 2018.

Reviewed 4 October 2018

Very comfortable rooms, staff helpful, food good, cleanliness good, all in a lovely setting.I consider these remarks are sufficient but apparently I have to fill two hundred characters, will not bother in future.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Nigel G, General Manager at Donnington Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2018

Dear 881BrianI,

Firstly thank you for choosing to stay at Donnington Grove, I was delighted that you enjopyed your recent visit.

I value feedback greatly as a measure of the hotel's performance and it is very encouraging for me and the team to receive great comments.

It appears the guest questionnaire instructions may not be very clear, I am sorry for the irritation you descirbe and we look forward to welcoming you back to Donnington Grove in the near future.

Reviewed 3 October 2018

My stay was spoilt by the heating system and the cleanliness of the shower.My room was heated by underfloor heating, I guess the room had not been previously occupied and temperature controller was switched to 0 degrees., The room was very cold and the underfloor heating took about six hours to add heat to the room, then it got too hot, the room windows would not open, so almost impossible to sleep. Then the shower we all know the problems of showers they need some occasional elbow grease, this shower had been forgotten, and for quite some time, I did not bother to use. I have previously stayed in an upgraded room before (£150.00 night) and it was great which was why I went back this second time, not again. shame

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled on business

Dear martincA3912CO,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent visit to Donnington Grove, I was very sorry to read of the shortfalls experienced.

May I sincerely apologise for the obvious disapointment and inconvenienvce caused by the heating controls, I have discussed this with the housekeenping department to ensure that the correct procedures are in place for leaving the temperature at an ambient setting. The housekeeping supervisor has asked to be associated with my apology. Reception have advised they offered alternatives and this was not a prefered solution that you wished to consider.

As a gesture of goodwill and to restore your confidence in Donnington Grove I would like to discuss a return visit so that your stay is memorable for the right reasons, as in your initial visit.

Thank you once again for bringing this matter to my attention.

Yours sincerely,