“Amazing house with an amazing host”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of The Buttercross

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
main bedroon with on suite wc and basin, sea view
Enter a caption for your photo
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Heather H
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Amazing house with an amazing host”
Reviewed 19 September 2016 for a stay in September 2016

Booked a weekend stay here and had a fantastic stay. Mike left great instructions for the house and local area. We only had one slight niggle,and that was down to us not Mike, we still have an older boiler at home not a combi boiler, so werent sure how everything worked, finally figured out, the faster the water comes out the hot tap/shower,the hotter it is, which is why we had a couple of head scratching moments wondering why the cold water tap in the shower didnt work,but we figured it out, I wasnt going to disturb Mike to ask him something like that,!. He works very hard and shouldnt be disturbed to ask things a grown up can figure out on their own.
We took our dog, so we took her own bed for the kitchen , for night time.and her rug for the living room. helps to protect this lovely home,and will stop other peoples complaints, if you are taking a dog,your dog would normally have its own bed so just take the bed with you if possible.
Mike provides games for children, buckets and spades, a ball for the beach.nets for crabbing.all cleaning products including washing up liquid, a tea towel a couple of hand towels, hand wash in the bathroom, a bbq. all clean and tidy bedding, and iron and ironing board. hoover , sweeping brush, dustpan and brush,high chair if needed and I think I saw a travel cot,what more could you possibly ask for.
When we arrived, Mike was polite and charming,a perfect host. He saw us pull up and was waiting at the door for us.he is absolutely lovely. Our only regret is he gets booked up very quickly, which shows how lovely this house is, There are keys in all the bedroom windows, so we took them out of the children.s rooms while we were there and put them back just before we left.
If anyone complains about this house, they are the sort of people who would find something to moan at, no matter where they go. it was a lovely house in a great location.Perfect, see you again soon Mike

Liked best: Everything
Liked least: having to come home :)
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Management Response
21 Sep 2016
pleasure to have people like yourselves staying
its not a business where you make lots of money, I could do that by selling the property, but I want people to have a nice holiday in Scarborough and for the children to have happy memories,
like I have, having travelled from York to Scarborough with my late grandparents
Bernie904
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Have already rebooked for next year”
Reviewed 28 September 2015 for a stay in September 2015

We arrived on the 12th Sep in pouring rain. Mick could not have been more helpful. He helped to carry in our luggage. Even received text from Mick later on in the holiday to say he would come & put the bin out on bin day. Cottage had everything you need for a pleasant & enjoyable holiday. Shops, sea front & beach within close walking distance. 2 pubs on doorstep & local shop just across the road. Would definitely recommend this cottage & to anyone who gives negative remarks all I can say is, "You're hard to please"

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The situation of the cottage & the owners quick response to any queries
Liked least: There was nothing not to like
Travelling group: Extended Family
Your age range 50-64
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
timbog
lincolnshire,
“Honest review”
Reviewed 29 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015

where to start. When I arrived I knocked on the door to be met with a very weird welcome. Mick answered the door and just looked at me like I was an alien. I introduced my self and all I got was a comment, your early. It was 4.30 pm I did say I would be there about 5 pm but this seemed to be a problem for mock. He just turned round and went in the lounge so I followed him in. Not a great start he didn't even say hello or how was your journey. Nothing. He did warm up a little. He showed how to work the telly asked if I had any questions and then left. Anyway. The house. My first impression I got was I couldn't believe how dirty the lounge carpet was 2 horrible dark slightly damp marks on it, obviously left there from the guests before us dog.this dog also left quite a few hairs here and there for us to keep finding.apart from the disgusting carpet the rest of the house was nice and clean and no complaints. My only negatives are firstly the towel radiator in the bathroom downstairs is in a rediculous place. It's on the back wall of the bath . The bottom of the radiator is about 10 inches above the bath. So you can't sit up in the bath and relax without hitting your head or burning your self. There's no need for it to be so low. Secondly the cabinet above the tiny hand basin is so low you can't bend over the sink to wash your face or clean your teeth. I'm only 5ft 8 and I can't see the top of my head in the mirror it's so low. The other thing is the shower. Why is the shower bracket in the corner and not on the end wall. It's really a quad trying to shower tucked up in the corner on the bath.One over niggle is the settee in the lounge is most uncomfortable thing I have ever sat on and a bit grubby. But saying that the house is in an ideal location for the seafront. It's an absolute pain to park in the evening though so beware of this I spent 3 of the nights for about 40 minutes trying to park within 2 streets of the house. It might not be so bad in other months.all the bedrooms were nice and clean and my kids loved there rooms. One other suggestion would be that the owner bought some new saucepans and frying pan. My wife wouldn't use the ones in the kitchen because they were so grubby and dirty. This house isn't cheap to rent so I would expect a bit more quality here and there. I will leave some photos if possible to show what I'm talking about.

Liked best: The closeness. To the seafront
Liked least: The bathroom
Travelling group: Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
3 Sep 2015
Thank you for the feedback, I did fare better than most of your past reviews

House has been fully occupied for 15 weeks before your arrival and carpets, paintwork, sofas ect do suffer and its not possible to clean carpets fully without leaving them completely damp and having upset guests

Its a hand basin!!!, not a wash basin OK for children to brush their teeth, You are provided with a proper wash basin and tooth brush holder in your on suite.

Pet friendly house Very hard to remove all hairs in a single clean

HONEST

I checked with you to see if all was OK you replied Yes for now

Also house was prepared for 5 adults as booked you were also asked in confirmation letter for ages of any children, But no indication given

I was woken from a nap because you expected to arrive later than 3pm and a look of despair at 3 children under 8 after having removed all waterproof bed protectors leaving keys in window locks, some dangerous cleaning products, glass ornaments expensive bedside lamps and cushions

I expect to be told about children so I can remove anything that could harm them, and place cheaper cushions because I expect them to be covered in chocolate or what ever.
PAULA M
Durham, United Kingdom
“BRILLIANT ACCOMODATION”
Reviewed 25 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015

We stayed here for a week and it was absolutely amazing, the house is clean , spacious and in an ideal location, it is 1 minute walk to the beach and attractions, we took our children and dog and the house had everything we needed to have a great holiday , we would definately recommend it and we will definately be staying here in the future.

Ann K
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“Its in a great location”
Reviewed 16 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015

Our stay at Buttercross was lovely .The house had every thing we needed it is clean and comfortable . Michael even left us milk and tea for us .every thing is on hand less than 5 mins from the beach and a short walk to the town .two lovely pubs on the corner they were very friendly We will certainly stay there again.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
US$105
Night
Week
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing