Rose Dene(Scarborough)
Red Lea Hotel(Scarborough)
Free cancellation until 23/07
US$104
Savings alert! 31% below average rates

The price you found is 31% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$151/night.

Ainsley Court Guest House(Scarborough)(Great Value!)
US$65
Green Gables Hotel(Scarborough)(Great Value!)
US$72
  • Pool
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$82/night.

Palm Court Hotel(Scarborough)
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$174
US$163
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$181/night.

Free cancellation until 22/07
2 533
1 626
2 533
1 626
All reviewsmood lightingsea viewice roomceiling fanfeature roomcontinental breakfastlovely hotelsteam roomon arrivalfree upgradeleisure facilitiesexecutive roomweekend breakstreet parkingreception stafftop floorfull english
90 - 95 of 5 117 reviews
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Called in for lunch Easter Saturday not overly busy. We stayed here several times but some years ago so wanted to take the opportunity to check it out whilst in Scarborough with a view to booking a stay and introducing it to our daughter for a possible wedding venue.

We choose a cosy table near the fire and window in the lounge/reception area however the fire wasn't lit. The table had only recently been vacated so was covered in used crockery. My husband went to the bar twice to ask to have it cleared before we ordered. It took 19 minutes for a waiter to clear it.

We enquired if they were still doing the soup and sandwich as advertised on the board outside in the street. The waiter didn't know but said would find out. After asking again 10 minutes later he asked the other waiter who said yes, so we ordered that for lunch along with coffee and tea.

The photo shows what we were presented with, which we think is pathetic for the Crown Spa which is supposed to be the best hotel in Scarborough.

We complained to the waiter who brought us a feedback form which we completed and passed to reception.

We were not offered a refund, alternative or an explanation or apology.

We won't be visiting this hotel again

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Auntypyorkshire
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

As the leading Hotel in Scarborough it is always disappointing when guests or passers by visit our Hotel and are not completely satisfied with the service they receive and all feedback is appreciated as we continuously strive to provide great products and services to all of our valued guests.

The bar staff who take care of the lounge are part of a great hospitality team which we are fortunate enough to have here, I can appreciate that it may not have been at is busiest but between Coffee orders and running food sometimes their workload can be slightly deceptive. We have endless reviews praising our team for their hard work and great efforts when caring for our visitors, so to have not managed it here is disappointing for the team.

The offer we have had for a soup and sandwich is around half the price of ordering both items separately and this has been the first complaint I have received relating to it, however your feedback has been passed on to the kitchen. The area of concern for myself was that in any instance of a guest not being satisfied with their food either a refund or a replacement dish should have been offered, which I have reiterated to the team on the bar.

We do hope to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 31 March 2018

What a fantastic hotel for a Christmas holiday or just a few days in Scarborough. The food was great and the activities excellent. The hotel is reasonably priced but the level of service and quality of food is first class.

Room Tip: Get a balcony room with sea view
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your fantastic Christmas review. We do our best to make Christmas at the Crown magical for all who attend and this kind of feedback is greatly appreciated.

We hope to welcome you back again this year.

Reviewed 31 March 2018

We travelled to Scarborough recently to attend a ball at the Crown Spa Hotel on the Esplanade. We had a very pleasant stay at the hotel a couple of years ago and as the ball was to be held in the hotel it was a bit of a no-brainer to stay there again. The previous time we had a room facing the sea which was fantastic, but this time we chose a cheaper room, which was located at the back, as we were arriving late and leaving early, so the view didn't really matter.
Checking in and out was very easy, the room was extremely comfortable - we liked the TV screen at head height when sitting in the bath - and was well equipped i.e. tea making facilities, good lighting and lots of mirrors, easy to use safe etc.
The ball was excellent and raised lots of money for charity but the organisers and the hotel went that extra mile to ensure the attendees were well looked after. The venue was nicely decorated, the food was very good indeed (not always the case when venues are catering for the masses, in this case about 140) and the staff were so friendly and helpful.
Breakfast the following morning was a full english and a continental, which were both well up to the mark. Being early risers the restaurant was fairly quiet when we arrived but was beginning to fill up by the time we had finished, nevertheless the staff were again friendly and helpful and the variety of choices was impressive.
All in all a very pleasant visit, though the on-street parking is a pain, but there is nothing the hotel can do about this - luckily it was early in the season and not too difficult to find a parking space.
Things that could be improved upon or done better - not a lot but the following were identified:
- the weather in the area was appalling over the weekend and the constant blast of icy cold air into the foyer was not nice when people entered and exited the hotel - i.e. constantly. I know it doesn't happen very often but it would be nice if something was done to stop or reduce the cold, gale force wind into the foyer;
- we paid for breakfast separately and I probably didn't notice the small print as the cost advertised did not include VAT; again, not a big deal, but it would be helpful if the cost did include VAT as it is annoying having one figure in mind when you go to pay and then find the cost has increased by £5 or £6;
- we were on the 5th floor and the ledge opposite our window appeared to be home to 10, very cold feral pigeons, who were quite vocal from about 0600 onwards. While the weather was much too cold to open the window, they were still noisy and in any case I would be reluctant to open the window very wide as in another hotel on the south coast I made the mistake of opening the window on a glorious summer morning only to find two pigeons had taken up residence when I returned from breakfast!! Spikes on the ledge might help, but I acknowledge it is a never ending issue.
Just a couple of observations as set out above, though they did not detract for the excellent facilities and service we received.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for a sea view room, the views can be spectacular and are always interesting.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Lesley M

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and all of your kind comments. I was delighted to read you had such a fantastic time at the ball, which was for a great cause. Our residential area can sometimes be a pain for parking, however we do have the loading bay so guests can drop off their bags and check in to try and alleviate that part of the problem. The weather over the course of the storm was very difficult for us to combat with our position on the south cliff of Scarborough however the main doors are an area we are currently looking at addressing to resolve this matter. I will pass on your praises to the food and beverage team and we will look forwards to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

We hadn’t been back to Scarborough for some time, so decided to revisit old haunts for our Wedding Anniversary (closet romantics, both of us). As the weather had not worsened significantly, we felt we could embrace the long-ish walk from the Ambassador Hotel (see “An Old Friend”) to town for shopping (loved one) and beer (me). However, this was not to be. And not to be for evermore, it seems. On enquiring of the hotel if it could quote for Dinner Bed & Breakfast, answer came back “We don't do any sort of food. We can offer accommodation only” (February 18th 2018). What! Our fond memories of stuffing ourselves with dinner prior to being entertained by some melancholy musico in the lounge were to be just memories. Not to be repeated. Never again.
Sod it, we’ll find somewhere else...
So it was that we found ourselves moving smartly up-market to the redoubtable, solid and determinedly 4* Crown Hotel. To be fair, we had stayed here before, many years ago. To be equally fair, we had no recollection of how it used to be – we were just delighted with what we found there now. OK, so we couldn’t book a package including dinner, so the initial booking was for B&B, but there were many options for food once inside the portico. And a free coffee for new guests. Oh and a free upgrade from Superior Sea View to Deluxe with Balcony Sea View. Not that we would venture onto the balcony. Damned cold, Scarborough at this time of year and besides the balcony looked a little on the rusty side...
The room, however, was a treat. Superking bed, lots of lights, including little ones recessed in the ceiling and the now-obligatory mood lighting above the bed head. Excellent television with remote. Nice hospitality tray with (joy) a cafetiere with which to make one’s evening coffee. The bathroom lived up to expectations, with more twinkly ceiling lights and a large bath tub. The toilet offered some feeling of exposing oneself to the outside world while having a tiddle, but there was an excellent roller blind to save your modesty. All in order and time to visit the fleshpots of Scarborough before returning to our luxury pad for dinner.
The Crown has enjoyed quite a bit of sympathetic improvement, I think, and one aspect which comes to the fore is the way in which the restaurant has been divvied up into discrete eating areas. We were welcomed for dinner by a pleasant young lady, who looked after our every need with professional aplomb. The food, which came relatively swiftly, was exceptionally good – particularly my starter of chicken breast and bacon with salad and anchovies. It quite filled me up though – so couldn’t do justice to the gammon steak that followed. Loved one tackled her gravadlax followed by some fishy risotto with complete equanimity though.
Throughout, service was excellent, the surroundings attractive and really I couldn’t fault it.
Following a period of rest and reflection we returned to the bar, which is really a seating and table area filling up most of the lobby. As veterans of the AI circuit abroad, we opted for two cocktails for £15.00. Not much different from the offerings decocted for “free” in Lanzarote or Tenerife. I finished the evening off with a double Bombay & tonic, which was a little pricey at £10.30.
Back to our room for television, bath and bed. The bath, was impressive, but not particularly suited for my 6 foot 3 frame and was a little difficult to exit. However, the water was nice and hot and the towels and robes appropriately fluffy.
Just remind me not to drink cafetiere coffee just prior to going to bed – it took some time to nod off!
Breakfast was served in a different dining room, one which looked to be a relatively recent conservatory type addition. Of course I may be wrong in this – but that was the impression I got. There was a good array of preparatory bits such as fruit juice, cereals, grapefruit segments etc before the main course. Tea and coffee brought to our table by the same delightful young lady who had served us the previous evening.
The full English was a feast of delights. Local sausage; bacon more tender than any we’ve had before – all the usual trimmings. Splendid! My only quibble would be that (as with the night before) of the two fried eggs I had requested, one was perfect and the other was hard. Not a problem as this is how Loved One likes them, so we just swapped.
So – a wonderful stay in a thoroughly respectable hotel with a well-deserved 4* status. Parking not an issue due to the scratchcard system. And lovely friendly staff. We were both happy here and will return.
The one fly in the otherwise pristine ointment was found in our bathroom. The bottom rung or so of the heated towel rail was coated with thick dust – more than could be expected to accrue from our fluffy towels. Very surprising and a sad way to dock a point.

Stayed: February 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you loved your luxury pad! We work hard to provide great stays by the sea, just a shame the weather didn't match us on this occasion, maybe next time you will be able to make sue of the balcony and the great views it beholds. I will pass on all of your kind comments to the relevant departments and we will look forwards to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, Matthew Lees.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Had a couple of days stay here, upgraded to an executive floor room with a sea view. The room was at the end of the corridor on floor 5 (no idea what happened to floor 4, it doesn't exist on the lift choices!). The corridor definitely has a classier feel to it, very tasteful feel to it with nice decor. The room was pleasant enough, not sure if it was actually worth the extra money but it was spacious and airy. The bed certainly wasn't a 5ft king size which is what the website states. The bathroom was very nice, with a tv to watch if a long leisurely bath is your thing. I prefer showers, and this one was really good, need a shower cap though as its virtually impossible to keep hair dry!
The sea views were stunning, all along the south bay right to the harbour.
The room was very hot, not sure where the heating is controlled, and whilst windows do open there are a few visitors that sit and watch quite calmly into the room from the sills, so its not wise to have them too wide as I'm sure that the very tame feathered friends might be tempted to hop (and fly) inside!
I've read a couple of comments on here about rooms being dusty and untidy, but have to say that wasn't the case during my stay. The room was very clean, as was the bathroom. The towels were good quality, and brilliant white, thankfully. Bathrobes were supplied and were also pristine!
The second night was blowing quite a gale, and there were lots of bangs and rattles outside of the room, no doubt due to the age of the building, so if you want a decent nights sleep I would avoid room 502 as it is the very last room on the landing.
Reception staff were excellent, actually I'm referring to Amy, nothing was too much trouble for her, always lovely, helpful and smiling, just what you want to see throughout your stay! The hotel need to look after her, she is a little star.
Upgraded to full english breakfast, which was nice enough but nothing to shout out about. The cooking style varied on each morning, making the quality feel inconsistent, but it wasn't bad. Staff were a little lack lustre, apart from the slim guy who was very pleasant and attentive (sorry, didn't get his name so hence the slim guy).
I ate in the restaurant one night, was a lady alone and the staff made me feel very comfortable. The food was good, great service.
The spa area is ok, I couldn't use the jacuzzi which was unfortunate as I booked it with that in mind, but the sauna was very good, looked recently refurbished and is of good quality. There is also a nice little pool, and a very respectable gym!
The distance of the hotel from the main areas could be an issue for some, especially with the very steep climb, but the views from the cliff tops are so worth it, just be sure to take sensible shoes!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Executive Floor if you want a nicer feel, worth a little bit extra as a treat
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank sunnyjinjo
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a great and thorough review for your recent stay with us. I was delighted to find you enjoyed your stay so much and that you were well cared for by the staff, I will pass on your kind comments to Amy and I'll try and work out which slim guy it was! I am glad you were able to make us of the spa facilities, my apologies for the Jacuzzi being out of action it is always disappointing when we experience difficulties with equipment in the Hotel, however we do try our best to get things up and running as soon as possible.

We all hope to welcome you back again soon.