All reviews york suite afternoon tea sea view sea front coach party bowls tour coach holiday third floor course dinner sound of the waves relaxing break older clientele excellent food waiter service silver service old fashioned seafront hotel
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was visiting Sidmouth on a bowling tour in September. This hotel was excellent. Could not fault, the staff, lovely bedrooms, and lounges and everywhere was very clean. Very good choice on menu's and the presentation of meals was pleasing. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, all were friendly.
Being in a prominent position on the sea front was ideal for walks, and literally a few minutes from the interesting town with shops, cafes, and pubs. Will certainly visit again.

Date of stay: September 2018
Reviewed 2 November 2018

Second visit to the Royal York this year only came with the kids this time, lovely time again and just like everything about the place...afternoon tea, sweets on check out stuff like that. Anyway room clean and spacious with a great view (No:19) Breakfast and dinner good and service swift.

Room tip: Room 19 great for family of four with a view.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Graham L
Reviewed 27 October 2018 via mobile

My 89 year young Gran has stayed at this hotel several times and has always complimented the staff and facilities, so we joined her for a two night stay. My kids are 11 and 12, I knew the other residents would be a lot older, as the hotel does specialise in coach trips.
The receptionist was friendly, she called a porter who collected my luggage from the car and took to the room, we waited 20 minutes for the room to be ready, which gave us a chance to explore the day room, restaurant, quiet room, tea room, bar and snooker room. Plenty of space for guests of all ages. We had complimentary afternoon tea, 5 course dinner and full English breakfast, needless to say, I’ve put on weight!
The staff were all polite, even the cleaning staff who often get overlooked greeted you with a Good Morning.
I especially like the way the staff were with my Gran, one night she fell in her room, rang reception and within a few minutes, was helped up and on to the bed. This gives us all peace of mind for her next visit.
Our room was clean, tea and coffee replenished every day and a great view of the sea.
Yes it’s more of an older generation hotel, but they deserve a good holiday like the rest of us and some of the comments I have read, really disappoint me.
I’d stay again and I know my Gran definitely will.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 25 October 2018

We have stayed at the Royal York & Faulkner Hotel for over 20 years and have had rooms in the main hotels and both suites. We have always enjoyed a warm welcome, very comfortable accommodation and excellent food. Our most recent stay, 17th. to 21st. October was no exception.

Room tip: Suites are separate (but close to), the main hotel, have some stairs and there is no lift.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ian H
Reviewed 11 October 2018

an excellent short break....we took my aged mother and had a triple room. She has her mobility scooter and so was able to join us for walks along prom and go in the town where hotel has complete access. All staff were outstanding.......we will go back soon.

We have actually revisited since I started writing this review and had another amazing short three night break which fulfilled all expectations of excellence.

Room tip: Triple room for a couple plus one is fab......my mother could sit in bay window
  • Trip type: Travelled with family