“Cordoned off with Police Tape - Avoid At All Costs”

Gallaghers Irish Bar
Ranked #16 of 23 Nightlife in Carlisle
Reviewed 4 August 2017

Today (4th Aug 2017) the Pub was cordoned off with Police Tape and there were police officers and a CSI team in attendance so I couldn't actually enter.

In the fairly recent past when I called in (late at night near closing time) the staff were disinterested and the two patrons at the bar were fairly well inebriated and cheeky with me.

The interior seems tired, past it's best and in need of revitalisation - the same could probably be said of the patrons and staff I encountered.

I would also point out that it's another one of those places that the reviews are either 5 stars or 1 star - polar opposites - which seems very strange to me.

I will also add that I have never caused or been involved any trouble with the bar, I have never been barred/banned/prosecuted.

I am saying this in order to pre-empt any comments by the owner who replies to poor reviews by casting the reviewer in a negative light.

Just remember this is 'tripadvisor' and anyone can say pretty much anything in these reviews, so please bear this in mind.

Final thought, well more a bit of advice, in my experience there are much nicer pubs in the area to visit than this one (and none, when I visited them, have ever been cordoned off with Police Tape), so check reviews of other pubs in the area is my advice.

4  Thank AvoidaHellHole

Reviewed 14 October 2016 via mobile

Only ordered a Diet Coke as it was a quick visit to the pub as I was waiting for a Chinese takeaway from across the road, and I was driving. The drink was tasteless (other than the horrendous taste of soda water) the pump needed changing. The staff were rude and when asked if they could change the filter they took a sip of my drink and told me it tasted fine and re-poured another drink of the same flavour. Didn't feel as if I could return the drink a second time so just didn't drink it. Luckily, not from the area but if I was, I wouldn't return.

3  Thank emmarose22
Reviewed 20 August 2016

Came to this pub with friends before the Rod Stewart concert, great pub with a very friendly atmosphere. Drink reasonable priced, very enjoyable experience.

1  Thank DavCazza3007
Reviewed 3 September 2015

We visited Gallaghers for the first time and ending up staying all evening. Everybody in there were so friendly, including the staff whose service was excellent. Throughly recommend a visit here.

3  Thank Michelle L
See more reviews
Reviewed 24 July 2015 via mobile

If your looking for a traditional Irish whisky bar then I could not recommend gallaghers more, I have lived in Carlisle all my life but only recently visited the bar but the atmosphere is perfect, the attention to detail even down to the shamrocks on the Guinness made my visit exceptional, I'm not a big whiskey drinker but the choice blew me away I would highly recommend a visit.

2  Thank jordanc123
BridieG90, Owner at Gallaghers Irish Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2015

Hi, thank you for your review we appriciate the nice responce and look forward to seeing you again.