All reviews tea and coffee making facilities buffet style large room full english breakfast excellent value for money castle stopover
Reviewed 19 August 2018

I received a warm welcome from the reception staff.
All the household staff said hello.

My room was clean and had all the facilities for a good night sleep.Lots of hot water,
and complimentary tioletries , tea and coffee available.

Excellent location,just across the road from the Railway Station,in fact that was one of the reasons, that I chose the hotel.It is also right in the middle of Carlisle,for easy access for shops, and restaurants.

The location of the hotel was brillliant, and my room was clean and homely.

The hotel reception area looked a little tired,as this is the first impression that you have of the hotel and its service, maybe it could be smartened up.Despite looking a little tired in the public areas, it was like a comfortable pair of slippers,I felt very safe.

Room tip: A room on front of house are good if you like to see part of the town, but it can be a little noisy on busy club nights.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Carl W, Manager at County Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2018

Dear Marian S,

Thank you for your great review!

I am pleased to read of your recent stay with us and how welcoming our team were to you, excellent customer service is something we pride ourselves on...

You will be pleased to know that our refurbishment programme begins very soon and we are all looking forward to it. I hope you will return soon!

Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

A relatively cheap stop over point on our return from the Highlands but incredibly disappointing.
Dirty mugs and teaspoons in the room. A very unpleasant chemical smell in some corridors - which did at least mask the musky smell everywhere else. The duvet cover was a good foot shorter than the duvet. Breakfast was disgusting - a total waste of money. The staff at breakfast tried telling me I didn't know my surname and hadn't paid for breakfast, quite rudely.

The decor may not have been touched since, I'd guess, the 1980s.

It's unimaginable that I'd ever return to this dump - I'll sleep in the car next time if there are no alternatives.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Colin M

Dear Colin M,

I am so sorry to read that you have not enjoyed your stay with us! Cleanliness and excellent customer service is something we pride ourselves on and so I am deeply disappointed that you have not experienced this....

We are due a full refurbishment which commences very soon, I hope you may return in the future where we can better meet your needs.

Reviewed 18 August 2018

The room was poor with dirty light fittings and a broken toilet light The stair and corridor carpets were lifting in sections and in need of a good clean
When I returned to the hotel at 20 0m in the evening (Friday) the bar was closed
A sad hotel and should only in my opinion be chosen as a last option.

Room tip: Don’t choose.
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Beni D

Dear Beni D,

Thank you for your review!

I am sorry that you have not enjoyed your stay with us, I will be looking into the issues raised and will have them corrected.... We are due to have a full refurbishment very soon and hope you can return in the future where we can better meet our companies standard of excellence.

Reviewed 13 August 2018

We stopped to break up a 7hr journey to Scotland.
Nice old hotel.
Needs upgrading and a nice quaint location.
Room nice and clean
Wifi perfect.
Reception staff lovely and friendly.
Gave relevant location advice.
Obviously dog lovers.
Free car park right outside and covered by cameras.
Breakfast great.
Staff cooked extra and were lovely.
Unfortunately the fire alarm went off three times but that was a guests fault.
We had a room at the back so noise.
Breakfast plentiful.
Loved the tiled ceilings in the ballroom area.
Would worry if we had a room at the front as there are weekend barriers across the roads. Weekends may be party time outside.
As the weekend looks like party night outside.
Central location easy to get to parks, castle and shops.

Good visit.
Loved the staff.

Room tip: Choose Room at the back if you want no road noise.
Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Marie B,

Thank you for your lovely comments!

I am really pleased to read of your experience and I hope you will return soon...

Reviewed 11 August 2018

I stayed solo for 4 nights monday to friday. Breakfast and dinner. these were okish, but the night sleep was greatly disturbing. I selected the road facing airy room and it was good, with tea-coffee making amenities, hair dryer, table, chair, cupboard, drawer, tv.
There is a Bar and vodka pub opposite the County hotel. It has late hours music, young people shouting, screaming, singing until past mid night. It was like a nightmare for me. I suffered migraine and sleeplessness, as the noises were unbearable.
A humble suggestion: Please book a silent room facing the back side of the hotel, to have a peaceful sleep. Food, cleanliness, staff, reception was all perfect.....The hotel is near the main shopping centre, has many restaurants in the vicinity, and the train station is across the road. Trains to and from London Euston, Crewes, Windermere, Edinburgh stop at this junction.
Kitchen staff: Lisa, Roisin and Debbie were on their feet serving customers with a smile and speedily. Receptionists Alina and Yoanne were very friendly, welcoming, patient listeners and have strong problem solving skills.
There are many other hotels around, but the location apart from noisy, is very ideal for travel, food, public transport and shopping.

Room tip: avoid road facing rooms, select the ones at the back of the hotel in the silent zones please.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo

Dear Mbsha,

Thank you for your comments!

We welcome your feedback so we may strive to do and be better! unfortunately being a city centre hotel we do experience the hustle and bustle of carlisle and its night life, however we do offer complimentary ear plugs on request from reception for light sleepers.

I will pass on your lovely comments regarding our team who will be thrilled to know about your experience.