“Gorgeous meal”

Price range: US$17 - US$31
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Davids is a traditional English and European restaurant specialising in locally sourced fine cumbrian produce , with over 14 years trading Davids has become one of Carlisle's favourite restaurants for special or social dining whether in a group or a couple you will always feel relaxed and comfortable in this cosy Victorian townhouse .
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Gorgeous meal. Food was really good. Nice atmosphere with friendly staff, we would Definitely go back again.

Reviewed 7 October 2018

Booked this place as had vouchers to use , 4 of us visited last evening from the go table service was not , 3 ordered steak and steak knives were passed across form waitress and other cutlery still lay on table , starters we ok apart from scotch egg with haddock .large bone around 1 inch long , reported to waitress who said I will let kitchen know , obviously didn't as no feedback , main course again one had duck but skin was inedible not crisp as would expect , still after mains were cleared there was a mention re duck to waitress , again no feedback so obviously not reported , 2 of us had cheese to finish and cutlery still remained on table even after main plates were cleared , seems to be untrained staff not knowing what to do really and chef owner was serving as well as he was overheard telling customers long shift he needs a break, also was very inappropriate to be talking loudly to customers at table next to us for around 15 minutes ,very annoying really , I did mention the large bone to him when we left but tbh he didn't seem bothered and it was difficult to find bones sometimes , but it was an inch long and maybe should be pointed out there may be a bones in the starter, my point no bones should be in the smoked haddock its as simple as that , all in all its not fine dining and needs to reevaluate from my point of view and would take a big jump in all aspects to entice me back .

Emily A, Owner at David's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2018

Thank you for your average scored review under the circumstance I think this is fair.
In response to your main criticisms firstly regarding the cutlery, I can only assume it was our new young waitress as you have highlighted this issue I can go over the procedure again with her.
Your second point was regarding the fish bone in the smoked haddock scotch egg, we appreciate this is an unpleasant occurrence, if there had been a number of bones it would have been clear no effort had been made to remove them but without a doubt all efforts are made to remove the bones on this rare occasion one stubborn bone slipped through, no feedback was given as you say as it was a fish bone in a fish dish, all we do is advise the chef to be extra vigilant.
You then mention reporting of the duck skin being inedible to the waitress, as this was done once the lady had finished her meal there was very little the kitchen good have done perhaps if this had been brought to our attention sooner we could have resolved the matter, however as all that remained on the plate was the duck skin we assumed she was satisfied with the dish otherwise.
Finally you have a gripe about the chef/proprietor chatting with other diners, as hosts this is part of our role, I’m sorry this distracted you from your own conversations.

Reviewed 5 October 2018 via mobile

Had another super meal with scallops, duck. Excellently presented and very tasty. Service is very friendly and efficient. Best restaurant in Carlisle .

Reviewed 26 September 2018

Went to David's today for lunch with my Australian cousin and her niece. We had beautiful bread and the most amazing food. Could not fault this restaurant. Spotless inside and very cosy. Next time I'm in Carlisle I will make a booking. Staff very nice too and menu not over priced, good value. Excellent

Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

Went with friends for a night out and a meal and it was excellent service great and worth every penny