“stunning views and beautiful location.”
other travellers have booked this property
The Boathouse Cottage Interior living area
Cottage sitting room
Boathouse bathroom
Boathouse kitchen
Boathouse interior
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Rick O
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Don't stay here if you want to have a shower in the morning!”
Reviewed 22 August 2016 for a stay in July 2016
person found this review helpful

I will try to be as fair as possible here. The first thing to say is that when I initially tried to book the cottage the owner's father in law had passed away so it is totally understandable there were some delays when confirming the original booking. However, when things had settled down I put the booking through via holiday lettings and it was not accepted in time. I was told that I needed to contact holiday lettings to reset the availability on the calendar when attempting too book again. When I phoned Holiday Lettings I was then told it was actually the owner that needed to reset the calendar but he didn't seem to get this so I then made payment via Paypal which was another nightmare - I could not make a bank transfer as I was paying on behalf of friends and did not have the cash to hand. Finally after a lot of frustration we managed to get there with Paypal but I can't really believe that someone in the business of renting out a cottage had no knowledge of how to use Paypal!

The cottage is located in an idillyic location overlooking the river Orwell and is about a 30 min walk along riverside footpaths to the Butt and Oyster pub. Other than that there is not much around the local area but that may well be to the preference of some people.

However, the cottage itself is a bit rundown and dusty - the owner tried to blame this on us but it wasn't very clean when we arrived as per the previous review. You are pre-warned before booking that the agar is switched off in summer which is fair enough but the halogen oven you have to use instead is rubbish and the portable cooking hobs are old and tacky.

All that said I could have let the aforementioned go if it weren't for the fact that the property had no working shower! There is only a hose that is attached to some taps in a shabby looking downstairs bathroom which has no proper gravitational flow. This means that when you hold the shower head low it runs very hot, when you hot it up it goes freezing cold. It's not just annoying but actually downright dangerous as you can easily scald yourselves. This meant my friends and I just had to make do with a wash by the sink. Not good! I made the owner aware and he did call out a plumber but I said this would achieve nothing because essentially what we needed was a proper electric shower installing! I suspect he will not want to spend the money on doing this. I was offered £100 as a gesture of goodwill but that to me is not good enough. The majority of us were only staying for the weekend but we had intentions for a couple of people to stay the end of the week as this was the minimum period we could book. Because of the lack of showering facilities we could not do this.

I would agree with the previous review that although the owner seemed like a nice guy he was a bit deluded as to what the reasonable expectations of paying guests would be - I am sorry but what is fine for you on your own personal weekend visit is not the same as what paying guests are entitled to expect. Lack of showering facilities is appalling customer service and just because you call out a plumber as a token gesture this does not hide the fact that you did not provide the proper facilities for your guests. Even your plumber said you were too "tight fisted" to sort out the issue.

Please do not stay here unless this chap opens his wallet and sorts out the shower and the kitchen!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: The view
Liked least: Lack of a shower
Travelling group: Friends
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Kelly T
Chateauroux, France
“stunning views and beautiful location.”
Reviewed 30 July 2015 for a stay in July 2015

We loved this place so much we wanted to stay longer. The owner called to check everything was okay, sorted out a couple of minor problems straight away, advised us on best walks,best pubs everything. This is a rustic, rural location so you can't just pop to Tesco. The wildlife and views were amazing and you could walk for miles. The Wi-Fi was good which pleased the young ones. Sleeps 6 comfortably plenty of space for a large family. This place was so lovely my wife wanted to buy it and live there. If you want to get away from it all this is the place, we will be back.

Travelling group: Teenagers
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Helen P
Harrogate, England, United Kingdom
“Not as advertised”
Reviewed 6 August 2013 for a stay in August 2013
person found this review helpful

We found this cottage through another site, directly advertised by the owner. For a start, the cottage and boathouse are separate properties and the price is for the cottage only, the boathouse is extra. The photos are misleading - one picture of a very nice living area isn't in the property at all; the view of a lovely garden with views to the river is actually taken in next door's garden. The cottage is semi-detached, 3 bedrooms, one bathroom.
The property was not clean - the owner who met us said his normal cleaner had not been able to come and we had turned up too early. We were about an hour early, but there is no way an hour's cleaning would have made much difference. The bathroom, which is downstairs, was very old and basic, nowhere to hang the shower head and no shower curtain.
There was hardly any storage furniture in the bedrooms, just one chest of drawers and some hooks.
The kitchen is not well-equipped. The AGA was turned off for the summer and the only cooking facilities were 2 ancient electric rings (a bit like a camping stove), a microwave and a small halogen oven. I don't know how you would cook a meal for 4 people unless you lived off pasta. The fridge was filthy, work tops sticky.
The windows were dirty inside and out, windowsills dirty and with dead bugs, there were lots of cobwebs. The garden was unkempt, there was no fence between the 2 gardens and no garden gate so it was unsuitable for small children or dogs. The track to the cottage was OK in dry weather, but might be difficult in wet or wintry weather.
The location is lovely and this cottage could be really nice with some TLC and a bit of money spending on it. Rustic is fine; rundown is not.
We negotiated a discount for the lack of cleaning but the owner could see we still weren't happy and himself suggested we try somewhere else. He seemed quite laid-back about the whole thing, and not really bothered whether we stayed or not. He was perfectly polite and affable, but didn't seem to really get that the property is not up to scratch. We hadn't paid anything upfront and were fortunate enough to find somewhere about 30 minutes away so we didn't even stay one night at Orwell Cottage.

Overall condition of the property Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location and views
Liked least: Poor condition of property
Travelling group: Teenagers
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
12 Jan 2014
This was a last minute request and alas we did not have enough time to prepare the house.

Travellers are raving about these Colchester hotels

Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing