“"A Gem."”

Rotherham Minster Church
Reviewed 28 June 2018

What a wonderful part of Rotherham history. It is free to enter and you can enjoy a cupper and biscuit. The ladies serving teas and other hot drinks are very friendly and helpful. There are toilets inc. disabled. Back to the church, and all it's beauty. It is a Grade 1 listed building with some of the best stained glass windows I have seen. Light a candle to remember a friend or member of your family. Wheelchairs are welcome, there are ramps. You don't have to be religious to enjoy this beautiful place.

All reviews
"christmas"
in 4 reviews
"volunteers"

Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

I had hoped to visit the interior of the Minster Church, but with Morning openings only on a Saturday, arrived too late on this occasion. Nevertheless, this is an imposing building, centrally in the town. The present structure is largely 14th century, but with Victorian amendments, and apart from marvelling at the skill of the builders, the appearance of the great building on its high point must have been an amazing sight when it was first completed.

Reviewed 6 December 2017

After learning that the church is a Grade I listed building, a building of 'exceptional interest', I was really surprised because I seen the church almost daily, and was unaware of its importance to Historic England. Aesthetically, the church is so pleasing to look at - from outside and within. Its shape and materials make it very pretty, and its position in the town definitely allows it to stand out to members of the public.

Inside, it has a weird feeling, a sort of homely feeling. It was strange to me as a non-religious person to walk into a church and feel comfortable but I certainly did. I visited later on in the afternoon in December, so it was dark by this time, but the lighting inside was dim and the church was warm inside so it felt really cosy and comfortable. With it being christmas, it did feel really 'christmassy' too.

I loved just looking around inside at the walls and ceiling and basically appreciating the workmanship which had been put into it. We did not have a guide and were not asked if we wanted one so we were not fully informed about its history or any other information but we were rather happy about that as we were merely there to view its architectural design.

I would highly recommend visiting the church (especially in the winter) for many reasons including:

- It gives you a feeling of peace and serenity whether you are religious or not
- Its architectural structure and design is aesthetically pleasing
- It has stood for hundreds of years and is a major part of Rotherham's history
- As a building, it is really important to England and Wales
- It raised my Christmas spirit

Disclaimer: I did not actually visit in Dec 2017, but as I have now moved away from Rotherham I am wishing I could visit the church at that time and experience the feeling I did years ago again.

Reviewed 9 November 2017

we were impressed with rotherham, we thought the town was lovely and clean, the minster is so impressive, and a really lovely church inside. we did the canal walk to sunnyvale centre and then caught the bus back, really lovely walk. found it a good base for the peak district had a really lovely break.