“Teatime”
Review of Cod and Cockerel

Cod and Cockerel
Ranked #134 of 246 Restaurants in Skegness
Price range: US$0 - US$8
Description: We are a family run business of 30 years, that offers freshly cooked, great value food. We offer take away, sit down and delivery options on all items on our menu. We deliver only in the immediate Skegness area unfortunately, due to the high level of demand. We also deliver to caravan sites. We offer an extensive menu, catering for all needs and tastes. From traditional fish & chips, pies, sausages, homemade fishcakes to pizza's and kebabs, jacket potatoes, burgers and lots more! All fish is cooked fresh to order, every time. We never have fish sat waiting. If you require fish skinned and boned, please ask and we will be happy to do this for you.
Reviewed 28 June 2018

We had been out all day and as it was hot could not be bothered to cook.Stopped here for fish suppers to take home.....delicious

Reviewed 11 June 2018

We had been told it was a 'good place for fish and chip's
How wrong that was!?!
I walked in & asked for cod & chips twice please.
Was told we will cook it for you, waited & got order.
Got in car and drove to seafront, opened up & everything was swimming in oil! & it wasn't cod but haddock !!
Will not return.

3  Thank Gary K
Marcus C, General Manager at Cod and Cockerel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2018

I am sorry you didn't enjoy your food from us. I would like to take this opportunity to clear up a few points you raised in your review.

Firstly, the owner and myself are the only two fryers. I can categorically state right now that you will not have been given haddock if you asked for cod. You asked for the £10.00 cod special, you would have been given cod. I'm sorry, but that is a fact. We serve both cod and haddock, both being readily available. There would be no reason why we would give a customer one fish in stead of the other. It makes no sense. The haddock we use are full fillets, due to the size. Haddock is characterised by having a black line down the skin. The cod we serve is cut by myself and the owner. They arrive as huge fillets and we cut it down to size. This means that there are varying types of shapes and thicknesses of cut. When a customer asks for cod in our shop, they may be given a thick middle loin piece or it could be a thinner, but longer tail piece. Then there are the pieces shaped and sized in between. You could have been given two tail pieces of cod, which do indeed look like haddock. Since the taste is also indistinguishable, in my opinion, you'd be forgiven for thinking you had been given haddock. But like i said, why would we give you one fish when you've asked for another? On this occasion, i regret to inform you that your assumption on this issue is incorrect. You were given cod.

I do apologise about the oil, but unfortunately, when you've had a piece of fish freshly cooked for you, it is going to contain a level of grease. We cook every single piece of fish fresh, it is never sat waiting. We pride ourselves on serving fresh, crispy fish. By all means, go to a chip shop on the seafront and get a soggy piece of dry fish that has been sat in a hot cabinet all day. Fresh chips, fresh fish all for £10.00. The cheapest price in Skegness. Yet, a little bit of oil, means you come on here to moan. I will happily take your comments on board regarding the oil. We can try and leave all fish to drain longer. But like you said, you'd waited.. A lot of people then moan at us for keeping them waiting too long. It's a catch 22. Unfortunately we can't please everyone. We try our hardest. Over 30 years of doing this, we have made a lot of customers very happy. What i would say, is that maybe the next time you have an issue with an establishment, you ring them first and let them attempt to put the problem right. I will gladly take your criticism and work to make things better, but blasting our business over something trivial is very annoying.

Reviewed 24 May 2018

Straight out of the fryer into a carton not shaken so when I opened it my fish was swimming in oil .Very unappetising . Will give this shop a miss in future

3  Thank janesmith56
Marcus C, General Manager at Cod and Cockerel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2018

Sorry to hear about this. I will speak to the counter assistants and fryers about letting all food adequately drain before being served.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Visiting family in the area and they ordered a takeaway for 6 of us. Overall pretty good quality. Delivery was timely although my chips were lukewarm . Rest of the families were hot. Good batter which stayed crispy upon delivery.

Reviewed 20 March 2018

I was passing through Skegness to see a friend, and had a hankering for some seaside food. I stopped by this fine place and had some wonderful chips and a very satisfying battered sausage.

The only let down for me was the amount of pickles. You need to stock more pickles.