All reviewsburghley houselovely hotelhotel groundsthe ground floora large car parkeggs benedictbottled waterwedding venueroad noisetwo night staysmall bottlewedding receptionlarge roomenjoyable staybreakfast was excellentstayed here for two nightswell worth a visit
Reviewed 7 January 2017

Back at William Cecil for the second time in under a month for a one night stay. Service is always friendly and they did their best to be flexible when I thought I might need to change a stay pre-booked, which was appreciated.

Every room is different - I was in room 8 this time round, with a large, very comfortable king size bed, and a small bathroom off. It does overlook the main road but it wasn't too noisy first thing. Rooms are well equipped with the essential iron/ironing board, and decent fresh tea/coffee making facilities. Wifi works well.

There are higgdly-piggledy stairs throughout this building so if you had limited mobility, I'd be careful to check they could give you an easy access room. There is free parking and the centre of the gorgeous market town of Stamford is a brisk 8 minutes walk away.

Having stayed at several of the hotels in Stamford, this one is definitely one of my favourites.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
Peter B, General Manager at The William Cecil at Stamford, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback.
I am so glad the entire team made such an impression on you and I will make sure I pass on your comments.
Our Receptionists are well versed in describing all the quirky aspects of our hotel when booking your room - so please do ask if you have a specific area you would like to stay. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 30 December 2016

This was our third stay at this hotel, therefore it must be good. The staff are all pleasant and efficient, the building is interesting with lovely old tiled floors in the ground floor public hallways. Dinner was good as was breakfast. Ample parking on site.

However, I will make sure not to stay in that room again: the upstairs room in the separate Lodge - and it was a good thing it was not raining or snowing - you have to walk around the outside to get to it, and back to the main building for eating and drinking. There were no umbrellas in The Lodge hallway for guest use.

First of all there is a step downstairs into the bedroom which seems a shocking trip hazard, shouldn't there be a sign on the outside of the door? There is another step upstairs to the bathroom. Only one chair in the room, I have no idea why, since there is plenty of space for two chairs for two people in a double room. There is nowhere to put your case other than on the desk. If two people with two cases use this room, I suppose the second case would go on the floor somewhere. They should provide at least one suitcase stand, which could be set up in some of the empty space.

The mirrors defy any sense or logic. Despite plenty of room for a full length mirror, this is outside on the landing. The only place to plug in the hairdryer, is next to a wall mirror set at chest height, therefore I had to kneel on the floor to dry my hair. Is this acceptable? The only mirror in the bathroom had been screwed into the tiles at chest height and is therefore useless for anyone wanting to apply makeup or have a shave, or even use it as a mirror unless you are prepared to bend double to look into it. Why it wasn't screwed to the wall higher up, I have no idea.

There is a hook on the back of the door, but unless you want to hang everything up there, the wardrobe is in the bathroom - with a few thief-proof hangers which are always irritating. Is that "quirky" or a lack of sympathetic furniture planning?

The bath is a free-standing claw-foot object with the taps and hand held shower positioned half way along the long edge. This may look good, but gets in the way when you are in the bath. I would not recommend this deep (but short) bath to anyone with any mobility problems, getting in and especially out again is fairly scary when wet and slippery. The toilet cistern lever, when pushed down, banged on the porcelain lid, loudly.

Trying to get to sleep presented further problems. I could hear absolutely every thing from the room below: belching, farting, coughing, toilet being used, taps being used, and snoring. (The downstairs bedroom in the Lodge can also hear absolutely everything from the upstairs room, especially the use of the bathroom with its cold tiled floor.) The two hand-made drapes on the sloping roof windows let in light to such an extent that to sleep facing that side, you have to put your hand in front of your face. The little red light on the wall-mounted TV, at 3am changed into winking red blue and green lights - I had to get out of bed to work out how to switch the whole thing off at the mains.

I like the William Cecil, I really do, but this is a typical example of management not trying the bedrooms themselves to see what it is like to be a paying guest. This room at first glance - other than the steps down and up inside the room - seemed good, until I tried to live there. I strongly recommend that the management choose a room at random at least once a week, and use it as guests use it, complete with fully packed suitcases, and no magic buttons to have things fixed instantly. It might be a revelation.

In the spirit of constructive criticism, I mentioned all these things at check out. The staff seemed completely taken aback, as no one had told them before. If no one tells them, how are they to know, and how will things ever be improved?

Room Tip: Upstairs room in The Lodge needs attention
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank StripedShirt

As a returning guest your feedback is extremely valued and allows us to improve standards for all guests visiting our hotel.
I have passed on all your comments to our Maintenance team for their immediate attention.
I am disappointed that you were not informed on booking that the lodge is outside however we do provide umbrellas at Reception for our guests. Moving forward I will ensure they are also available inside the lodge for future visits.
I am pleased that you continue to enjoy our Hospitality and that you intend to return. Should you wish to discuss any of the points you raise in your review please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Warm Regards Peter Brighouse.

Reviewed 28 December 2016 via mobile

We have just come back from a 3 night Christmas break here. The food and service was second to none. The room although small was clean and bed comfortable. I'm just glad me and hubby are both vertically challenged!!!.The staff were brilliant and nothing was too much trouble. Were hoping to go back next year. Well done The William Cecil.

Peter B, General Manager at The William Cecil at Stamford, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2017

That you for your great comments the whole team will be thrilled that they all made such a great impression. When you come back to stay next time please do ask our Receptionists to talk you through all our bedrooms' characteristics so that you pick the perfect one! We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 21 December 2016

Meant to write this review months ago, we stayed in March. Room very attractive,comfortable bed, and with large modern bathroom. Excellent breakfast! Very handy location for the town and the grounds of Burghleigh behind, the weather however was terrible so couldnt do the walks we planned.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Peter B, General Manager at The William Cecil at Stamford, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2016

Thank you for your kind words I will pass on your feedback to the entire team.
Sorry we couldn't fix the weather for you :) Burghley House will reopen in March 2017 - hopefully we can welcome you back close to this time!

Reviewed 20 December 2016 via mobile

The hotel describes itself as quirky. I'm not sure that is correct but it certainly isn't a run of the mill hotel. Very friendly staff working in a very old building which has a clever blend of historical and contemporary.

Superb and generally large individual rooms that are well appointed.

An excellent restaurant with slightly unusual menu choices. Great wine list.

All in all a great stay and experience. We will go back.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled on business

I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable experience with us. I will pass on your wonderful comments to the entire team. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back in 2017.