All reviews the penthouse main restaurant car park high street wisteria room afternoon tea centre of town lovely hotel muesli buffet style single room central location wedding night wedding reception wine list scones main course
Reviewed 24 November 2015

As the title suggests we used this as a refuge en route to Devon following a lengthy drive from the North. The great attraction for us was that dogs are welcome in your room although they do ask that you remain with your pet. My wife found a way around this by booking the house keeper as a pet sitter whilst we dined downstairs.

This hotel has a striking exterior, and I would have dearly loved to have seen it when the Wisteria was in full bloom which reaches from ground to roof. Right from first meeting the staff are very firendly and helpful and should your load of luggage prove too much for the revolving door then they are willing to open it up. The building apparently dates back to Norman times and certainly the structure would suggest so. This is medieval England personified and you will not be disappointed in your stay here.

As we arrived on a Sunday we ate in the BRAZZ restaurant which is a more modern addition to the rear of the hotel. Food in BRAZZ is bar and grill style and well done, I enjoyed a chicken caesar salad to start followed by a steak cooked exactly to my requirements, couldn't fault it. Wines are limited as you would expect but the choice and quality is sufficient.

We retired after our meal and our pet sitter had watched telly during an uneventful evening with all her limbs still in tact.

Breakfast was again in BRAZZ and I only mention it because, joy of joys, it is freshly cooked and you do not need to put up with a buffet that is either incipid or undercooked as in many hotels that provide such unimaginative fare.

A very enjoyable stay and a big thank you to all of the staff who made it a great start to our pearl wedding anniversary holiday.

Date of stay: October 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2015

4 night stay owing to building work at home.
The hotel is average to good. It could be so much more. The rooms are comfortable no where near luxury. The staff are very polite discreet but always available.
Breakfast was great, but evening dinner in the Brazz restaurant was poor.
Avoid a room near the lift unless you like banging every time it moves. We were moved which was not a problem, moved to a quiet wing the "80's wing" as in room number not decor.
Pleasant stay but disappointed by the averageness.

Room tip: Avoid room near the lift
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2015

If you're looking for a central hotel in Taunton with a great reputation and a bit of luxury then I can recommend The Castle hotel.

I stayed here whilst on business and had a great experience, with a great room, pleasant service and good value too

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 8 November 2015 via mobile

My Husband and I were lucky enough to have been given this gorgeous treat as a Christmas gift and it really was an excellent gift. We were warmly welcomed from the moment we arrived and the service was impeccable. We had a chocolate afternoon tea and everything was divine. I'm vegetarian and they made me my own selection of lovely sandwiches. There was plenty to eat, endless refills of the tea and in a beautiful setting. Special thanks to Luke our waiter who was brilliant and was welcoming and knowledgeable, he made us feel extra special.

Date of stay: November 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2015

The wedding reception was held at the castle it was beautiful food it was a beautiful day and I'm glad I stayed the night to enjoy the evening I woke up feeling great after a good nights sleep and was welcomed five polite staff for my breakfast before heading back home I would recommend a short stay here to anyone .

Date of stay: July 2015