“Always excellent”

Sol Tapas
Ranked #12 of 299 Restaurants in Darlington
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: At Sol Tpas, there are 41 delicious tapas dishes to choose from that evoke the culture and flavour of Spain. You'll find all your favourite seafood, meat and vegetarian tapas dishes, as well as ones you've never experienced before. Or why not choose the popular set menu, which is ideal if you're new to tapas? Just tell the waiter your food preferences and we'll keep the tapas dishes coming till you say stop. Our tapas menu is inspired by Italian, Moroccan and Spanish food, and there's meat, fish and vegetarian dishes to choose from. We change our menu regularly so there's always plenty of variety of flavours to tempt your taste buds with. The enjoyment doesn't stop at the food. Our comprehensive wine list and bar promises to have a drink to suit every palate, no matter what the occasion. So why not book your table tonight and treat yourself to a fantastic Spanish dining experience to remember?
Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

We visited at tea time Saturday as a anniversary celebration.The owner as always is very friendly and informative.We both had the 2 course meal I started with the black pudding delicious.My wife had the garlic bread lovely with plenty of garlic and cheese.Main course I had the rump steak the best rump steak you will taste anywhere.My wife had the beef in red wine jus very tender and delicious.Reading some other reviews about service or food I wonder if they have been to the same restaurant.

Reviewed 3 August 2018 via mobile

My wife and I popped in for tea tonight following shopping in town. We’ve been to Sol several times and have never been disappointed. You get the same great conscientious service whether it is busy or not. The tapas is wonderful and plentiful. Tonight we went for the set menu. Crispy Brie and garlic mushrooms to start. Chorizo and chicken paella and Lebanese chicken for mains, washed down with some reasonably priced beer and cocktails. Lovely atmosphere, lovely time. A place you can guarantee to offer a great meal everytime. Highly recommended

Reviewed 29 July 2018 via mobile

The poor service started when we tried to order some cocktails only to be rudely told they don't sell them. We had to show the waitress the drinks menu so she knew what was on it, we then tried to order some bottled lager but we were told they had ran out.

Please bear in mind that Sol Tapas Is a Tapas restaurant, when she came back to take our order with pen in hand and a notepad she asked what we would like. We were told we needed to fill in a form for tapas and she went over to get one. Silly us.

When the food came we had accidentally ticked the wrong dish and asked for the one we thought we had ordered. The waitress came back with a smug appearance and the the tick sheet to show our mistake.

The food itself was very average and considering the price of each dish we were very disappointed. The manager made a joke when serving up the chorizo flat bread saying "there's your pepperoni pizza!". No one on the table saw the funny side. We also got some very dry deep fried chicken and smash potato that we did not order but we decided not to question if after the patatas bravas incident.

We decided not to stay for desert and asked for the waiter for the bill. When the manager came over 15 minutes later and asked us whether we wanted desert we said again no and asked can we have the bill. Half an hour had passed and no one came back to the table. I tried to catch a waiters attention but when I made eye contact he turned on his heels and walked in the opposite direction. I would forgive them if it was a busy restaurant but bessides us there were only another couple of tables. In the end we decided to get up and leave which grabbed the managers attention and he quickly brought the bill and card machine.

My recommendation would be to avoid this restaurant because of its terrible service, and poor food for its price point.

Reviewed 16 July 2018

We keep going back to this fantastic little restaurant because it just never fails to let us down. From the lovely warm welcome from all the staff to the splendid selection of freshly cooked tasty tapas, not to mention the superb wines to compliment, we are always guaranteed a lovely evening. Surely one of the best eateries in Darlington.

1  Thank Alex W
Reviewed 27 June 2018

Very disappointed with the ambience, food all came out in a rush, ordered olives, bread basket, patata bravas, calamari, mussels in wine and cream, and sea food paella, bread basket was a 4thin slices of French stick some butter and aioli at £2-95 not worth it, no signs of any Home made bread!, mussels were small and many broken shells, sauce was too creamy for my taste, paella was very good, but rather would have took my time over the food, that’s what Spanish eating is all about , it was busy and offered good value for money but it was more like a fast food outlet, don’t think it’s suitable for a special occasion, would o go again probably not