All reviews western hotels quiet position georgian house old trees cul de sac lovely quiet hotel rabbits running around the main hotel building large garden prunes good size nice grounds dead end road oak panelling minutes drive away evening meal bar menu
Reviewed 16 September 2018

Stayed over for a night in ipswich just a get away from the kids !!! Easy booking and nice sleep.
Had a fire alarm call about 7 a.m but maybe someone burnt the bacon !!!. No explanation which was strange.
Breakfast was lovely and i had a lovely piece of kipper and my partner had a nice bit of mackrel.

Room Tip: Ideal for a couple of nights stay or just coming through ipswich.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Claydon I, Manager at Best Western Gatehouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2018

Thank you for your review, as we did not meet with all your expectations, please accept our sincere apologies. We have taken immediate steps to review our operations and introduced further training where necessary; we assure you we will do all we can to prevent a re-occurrence of this nature in the future, thank you for your time, kind regards.

Yours sincerely

Frankie Manners – Operations Manager

Reviewed 1 September 2018 via mobile

Looks rundown from the outside and the inside is not much better. The rooms are small and old fashioned and could go with updating. The shower kept cutting out whilst in use, the grouting was dirty and the hairdryer old and yellowing. There was a toe nail on the bedroom floor and pubic hairs on the bathroom floor.
Ordered a cheese and ham toasted sandwich, simple order yet the chef couldn’t even get it right, was not as menu, wrong bread and no dressing.
The restaurant had no atmosphere and there was only one table occupied.
The member of staff was supposed to be the receptionist, bar person, waitress and cover room service, although this was done with a smile and a friendly manner.
There is a large garden yet no outdoor seating to enjoy it other than one smoking table near the doors of the hotel.
This was the first hotel that I have stayed at (and I’ve stayed at a lot all over the world) that I have not asked for late check out. Couldn’t wait to leave, very disappointing. Have stayed at Best Western hotels before and they have been good, this one lets them down.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Claydon I, Manager at Best Western Gatehouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we are sorry on this occasion the room you booked was not to your desire; not all our rooms fit this criteria, please be assured your comments regarding hygiene issues have not gone unnoticed I can assure you this was a one off. However I will recommend some of our staff across the sector undergo further training; on your next visit to the area please inform me and I will endeavour to offer you an upgrade at either one of our two hotels. Once again please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointing stay. We hope you will continue to support us in the future, many thanks.

Yours Sincerely

Frankie Manners- Operations Manager

Reviewed 21 August 2018 via mobile

As I drove into the hotel car park I was wondering what I’d let myself in for as my first impression was not good, but it improved from then on.

The hotel was actually quite full of character with wooden beams.

Friendly check in, spacious well equipped room although very warm without air con.

Breakfast was OK

Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo

Thank you so much for leaving your comments regarding your stay at the Gatehouse Hotel, we are delighted you enjoyed most aspects of your stay and hope that you will return in the future. Regards, Frankie Manners Operations Manager - Claydon and Gatehouse Hotels

Reviewed 7 August 2018

We arrived very late (10.45pm) having called to explain our lateness. Our welcome was great. Very hot night and no air con but an efficient and quiet fan. Beds comfortable. Shower very good. Breakfast was excellent.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel is quieter
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Claydon I, Manager at Best Western Gatehouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we are pleased you had an enjoyable stay and you were looked after by the team. We look forward to your return, many thanks.

Kind regards

Frankie Manners - Operations Manager

Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

Had lovely overnight stay. Such friendly & helpful staff. Especially marina. Nice spacious room with plenty of tea, coffee & biscuits. Food excellent in restaurant & great freshly cooked breakfast. Very quiet & peaceful. Plenty of parking. Definitely recommend.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
Claydon I, Manager at Best Western Gatehouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2018

Wonderful, delighted you enjoyed your stay, i will pass on your compliments to the team and we hope you will return in the future, many thanks.

Kind regards