“One of Those Perfect Places”
Review of Great Orme

Great Orme
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Whether you ascend by foot, cycle, cable car, cable tram, car, horse or motor vehicle there is a feeling of achievement when you arrive at the top.
I love the combination of educational resources about the trams, the mining history and nature; the cafe; the sound and sight of the sheep; the remote cemetery, the not quite crazy putting; and the benches.
But most of all I like the magnificent views. When I visited on 26th June 201, a hot sunny day we could see Anglesey which appeared to be floating on mist; Snowdonia, the Conwy Estuary and with the aid of binoculars we could see the English Lake District, the Isle of Man and Ireland.
Truly this place feels magical.

Date of experience: June 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (6 512)
All reviews
"copper mine"
in 124 reviews

441 - 445 of 6 512 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Really enjoyed the day. Cafe at the top is lovely, food is great we had jacket potato. Go into the visitor centre and watch the info TV.

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

LOVE The Great Orme, Llandudno great views.will defferntly go again.Went with wife,Grandaughter,Son and daughter.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

We drove to the top of Great Orme passing the halfway station for the tram en route and seeing the passengers disembarking at the upper station. It was a sunny June morning but windy and to me somewhat bracing. Below I could see farm buildings and sheep dotting the green fields. There is a souvenir shop, a mini golf course, a teashop and a panoramic view of the Irish sea.

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 June 2018

I went up to the top of Great Orme by the tram, then spent the rest of the day walking the paths, marvelling at the mighty limestone cliffs and enjoying the flowers, birds and other wildlife. There is a very interesting information centre near the top tram station, also a cafe which I didn't visit as I had brought food with me. From the summit you can see most of the top of the Orme, and sea views reaching as far as Anglesey. There are some interesting rock formations and remains of old quarries, and a few cottages and a farmhouse on the top too. I made a visit to the Copper Mines, then walked down to the town via the huge escarpment high above the pier, which gave amazing views. From there I found some rough steps which led down to Happy Valley, an attractive garden overlooking the pier, and a short walk to the seafront. The following day I climbed up onto Great Orme top via Haulfre Gardens, which are near the town tram station I walked to the far end and came down a road to Rest and Be Thankful Cafe, then walked all the way back to town along Marine Drive, passing incredible layered limestone cliffs, where I watched some rock-climbers in action. The Great Orme is a wonderful place to visit, but it can be quite cool and windy on top, even on a hot sunny day, so I recommend taking a jacket with you!