Reviews (1 129)
1 129 results
All reviews crystal restaurant croquet lawn cream tea in the conservatory afternoon tea putting green beachy head sea view traditional hotel conservatory restaurant lovely hotel old fashioned outdoor pool scones short break older people staff were attentive dining room
599 - 604 of 1 129 reviews
Reviewed 19 August 2016

We sated here as a treat at the end of our South Downs Way walk and were not disappointed. we had a lovely corner room that was very spacious with comfy bed. A monitor issue with the hair dryer was sorted immediately. Breakfast was delicious and such a wide variety, the French fruit ( not tinned) and home made jam and bread were lovely touches. the bounds are also beautify and overlook the beach below.
Not being local we were unaware of the Airboune event that was taking place during our stay ( an unexpected bonus) however this proved very difficult in trying to arrange a taxi to make our train home after our 100 mile walk. It looked like we would miss the train but the receptionist and her colleague went above and beyond giving us a lift as she came off shift to ensure we made the train on time . I cannot thank them both enough for the level of service and care they showed. We loved our walking adventure and our fabulous stay at The Hydro- top marks for customer service.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Jonathan O, General Manager at Hydro Hotel Eastbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2016

Dear Guest

Thank you for your glowing review following your recent stay.

Nestled at the base of the start of the South Downs Way walk we are very popular with ramblers either starting and finishing the walk through the national park.
We have recently changed our continental breakfast offering and introduced some new home made features and layout of the breakfast which have been well received. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
I was glad to hear the team looked after you so well and that without hesitation the front desk team took you to the railway station so you did not miss your train.
I trust and hope you will stay with us in the near future when I can assure you of our very best attention.

Reviewed 19 August 2016

Our room was on the 2nd floor and had nice view over the terrace , grounds and to the sea , the room was sparkling clean and the towels white and fluffy ,we liked the fact there was a teapot as well as tea bags .
The beakfast was everything you could ask for with a buffet counter and a nicely cooked and served full english .
The hotel was very good for Airbourne as it is close enough to walk to everywhere but away from the crowds .
I love the entrance to the hotel , it has an olde worlde charm and very relaxing ,

Reviewed 19 August 2016

I fell in love with the Hydro Hotel the first time I came here. That was in 1991 and I've been staying here every summer since then and also for short breaks at other times in most of the intervening years.
I endorse the comments made in recent reviews. The bedrooms are exceptionally clean and comfortable - the gold standard by which I judge other hotel rooms (there's only one other place I know of with similarly good housekeeping). The staff are always polite and helpful, service attentive and the parking is easy.
When it comes to dining breakfast is fine and there are various options for the rest of the day. Personally I prefer not to have a large meal in the evening so opt for bed and breakfast. There is plenty to choose from on the lounge and conservatory menus for the rest of the day. On the occasions when I have dined in the Crystal Restaurant in the evening there have been some well presented dishes. The desserts are particularly worthy of a mention. My only negative comments are that vegetarian main courses very rarely contain protein - it would be much appreciated if dishes containing beans, pulses, nuts etc. could be included and not consist of just cheese, or vegetables in a sauce. Also, it seems to be policy that bed and breakfast guests are not guaranteed the same table each morning. For someone staying a week and being a long standing guest I should think this could easily be done.
The location of the hotel couldn't be better. On a sunny summer afternoon having a game of croquet (I am one of the croquet club members who come here every August for our little tournament) and then being served tea in the garden is pure heaven. Long may it continue. The hotel may appear a bit old fashioned compared with brash modern styles but that is what we like - a haven of peace and tranquillity with splendid service all in a glorious setting.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comprenesive review entiled 'An all time Favorate'

Wow you have been staying at the hotel for 25 years and have enjoyed many a visit to the Hydro. We are very fortunate to have a committed Housekeeping team who ensure the standards of cleanliness are always very high under the careful guidance of Lynne our Head Housekeeper. I was pleased to read the team were polite and helpful and that the service they offered was attentive.
May I thank you for your constructive feedback on our vegetiralin offering which I know in the up and coming weeks will be actioned by his brigade.
On behalf of all the team at the Hydro we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future and especially for the Hydro Croquet tournament next year.

Reviewed 17 August 2016

We liked the excellent food, cleanliness, and atmosphere at this hotel which was our second visit and would stay nowhere else in the Eastbourne area. The car park can get full if the hotel is busy but is far enough out of town to have plenty of on-street parking around it. The service at breakfast time was a little chaotic; we were asked by several waiters on more than one occasion if we had ordered. A useful tip for management, picked up from stays elsewhere, is for the waiter to take away the menu after the order has been taken. Everyone knows then without asking. Don't let that put you off though.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the front, the view is well worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Jonathan O, General Manager at Hydro Hotel Eastbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2016

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stay over the popular Airbourne weekend.

I was pleased to read you would not stay anywhere else in Eastbourne and that the team looked after you well.

May I thank you for your observation over breakfast as the removal of the menu once a cooked order is taken is very useful to other team members.

On behalf of all the team I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when I can assure you of our very best attention.

Reviewed 17 August 2016

We thought last year's stay was great but this was even better. Loved room 208 a lovely outlook to the sea, a real treat. Friendly and attentive staff. All areas clean with lots of space to sit and chat or just read and relax with a cuppa or glass of vino.
We particularly noticed the gardens, very well kept and cared for, so nice to see.
Excellent good quality food. We are very much looking forward to returning in September - can't wait!

Room Tip: Side sea view rooms worth the extra

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review entitled 'Even better than last year'.

In this mornings communications meeting I will ensure the team are relayed your kind words. Noel and the garden team of Wish Hill gardeners are always striving to improve our gardens and as a seafront hotel we are very fortunate to have such space with the view out to sea.

On behalf of all the team we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in September for your next stay.