Reviews (1 664)
1 664 results
All reviews sea view the hotel car park lovely hotel sea front dining room band stand executive room main restaurant buffet breakfast large room public areas per day street parking tea coffee stayed for one night plenty of choice biscuits
134 - 139 of 1 664 reviews
Reviewed 27 June 2018

We booked a long weekend break here at the end of May. The website boasted newly refurbished rooms in keeping with other establishments in the area. It's probably easier if I list the problems as they occurred.

Not a particularly warm and friendly greeting from the foreign lady on the desk who hardly managed to smile.

Told no lunch or food available it was 1 o'clock. Came back at three and booked in. Our room had in its plus a sea view also a balcony. I will enclose photographs later. Our balcony entered via French windows encompassing a dirty net curtain with a torn hem and much pick pigeon crap. We found out why later.

The decking on the balcony had holes in it so we were not sure if it was safe to walk on whether we might fall through photo attached

the room was large with a king-size bed which was clean and very comfortable, there were two bedside tables forced behind mine and the wall was an ironing board. It drew your attention the moment you walked into the room.

The weather was hot and the air conditioning didn't work during the night we had the French windows to get a seabreeze. We both awoke to a strange noise to find a half dozen pigeons. Every time we are the doors so the pigeons appeared. This obviously explained the bird poo around the windows of the desperately needed painting doors.

The bathroom large, up a step from the bedroom had everything you could need apart from the rockhard towels and the fact that the lower shower attachment could not be switched off or hung in its holder – broken off. Consequently, as you showered the other attachment snaked around your feet drenching the floor.

Breakfast – on comments we'd read were told it was excellent so we decided to book as it was not included £25 the two so £50 for two days. Came down in the morning and walked into the dining room where one member of staff booked us in and told us it was self-service and we could see anywhere. We can only see one other member of staff who is engaged in a lengthy I mean lengthy it must have lasted half an hour conversation with an elderly lady. We sat expecting at least to be offered tea or coffee possibly toast. Well be expecting too much of course not it was after all a four-star and posted a wonderful breakfast.

Eventually we realised it really was do-it-yourself made our own tea toast et cetera and made our way to the"wonderful"breakfast. The fried eggs were congealed with no sign that the egg had ever been runny. Rubber scrambled egg was next you could cut yourself a slice if you wanted it. Tinned mushrooms, baked beans hashbrowns and anaemic chippolata's made up the offering. I wondered to the other side. A a notice warned me – hotplates. They lied. Fruit and yoghurt I thought they can't get that wrong, could they? Tinned mandarin oranges, tinned grapefruit and tinned peaches. The meal itself even if we eaten all of it was not worth more than £4.50

Needless to say we cancelled the second day's booking finding a wonderful open-air cafe where we provided with hot cups of tea are beautifully fresh cooked breakfast warm toast and a selection of conserves. The meals served by one of the owners and was superb. The cost for the two of us just £11 which made the Cavendish is offering all the more insulting but at least we saved £14 and had an exceedingly good meal.

Time to check out. The machine failed twice the woman said it was because the card was dirty rubbed it on a cloth and did it again. Thankfully, giving my husband a copy of the void receipt.

Apart from the view which we couldn't really enjoy because of the pigeons and said holes in balcony we were really pleased to leave.

Two days after we got home my husband was checking his credit cards bill and lo and behold the Cavendish had taken the money twice and it hadn't been recredited. My husband telephoned them and explained what had happened. He wasn't offered an apology he was simply told that that was impossible. When he asked for them to check it with their accounts or their bank account they said there was no need. Rude and unhelpful apart from I must add one young girl who stood out while we were there behind reception with bright auburn hair she was welcoming smile and appear to help anybody that needed it.

Happy ending Barclaycard recredited the second fee but we won't be going to the Cavendish again EVER

Room Tip: Avoid the place
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SurreySunburnt
Reviewed 26 June 2018

The rooms are overpriced, The hotel is understaffed ( though the staff are very nice). The rooms are shabby and dirty
Our experience here was appalling and despite writing to complain (I e-mailed them over a week ago) we haven't received a response - which it just rude!!
It looks as though they have spent a lot of money of updating the conference area and the reception but that's about it.
I booked 2 rooms, one for my in-laws and one for myself and my partner. It was supposed to be a holiday for my in-laws. It turned out to be a horrid experience.
Please don't stay here, it's awful

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2018

What can I say... Simply a lovely experience.
Upon check in we were greeted by lovely receptionist and Joanne who was extremely professional, had a great knowledge about room types and she did an absolutely amazing job to deliver a memorable moment. we were given Room 407 which we loved it.
Great location, parking was a bonus. I must say the team in general was good. Had drinks in the bar and left with positive experience.
We were greeted again by Joanne upon check out and had a smooth check out experience. And what can I say more about room, hotel and Joanne. MILLION STARS...

M ALI

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MDANISHALI
Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

The Cavendish is excellent located on the front in Eastbourne

Beyond this there’s little to recommend The Cavendish

Booked on Booking.com I booked two rooms at same rate of £62 per night excluding breakfast

Upon arrival we were informed that one room was on 4th floor other was in basement with no windows!

Stefan drew the short straw and had a room than not only lacked windows also lacked hot water, WiFi or phone signal !

Small pokey and unpleasant

My room was also pretty poor but had hot water and a window but lacked everything else

The barmaid seemed more interested in chatting up a chap at bar rather than serve us

Tired , tatty and resting on is laurels

The Cavendish sums up all that bad about British Hotels

Heaven help anyone who booked more than.a single night!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank jeremy_hartigan
Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

I have just spent 4 nights at the Cavendish Hotel. I had the bed breakfast evening meal option.
I have stayed at this Hotel many times over the years and stays this year too.
I like the Hotel, the staff are friendly, if they can help they will.
Breakfast is plentiful with the buffet option. Which I enjoyed.
The evening meal is 3 courses table served. On occasion can be a bit slow depending how many are in the restaraunt and how many staff are on. I noticed the staff were running to the bar for guests for bottles of wine, my opinion was as summer guests are arriving a wine waiter would be a good idea as many guests had wine at their table, then the staff serving the meals wouldn’t be running from the Restaraunt to the bar. Only an observation.
For me I really enjoyed my stay and will stay again. There is a nice sun lounge in the bar area where you can sit have coffee, lunch, anything from the menu, and enjoy the view..

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo