Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
CoachesStabilo
Stabilo

Disgusting Hotel

Review of Ocean Beauty
1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 09 Mar 2009
When i booked my trip to mauritius - Ocean Beauty was supposed to be my highlight - it turned out to be my worst experience. So you can imagine how disapointed i was when i arrived - it took us 2 hours to find the place, there were no boards or sign posts. When we finally found the place, we were told there was no parking available - so we had to park our hire car outside on the street! No one to help with our baggage - so we had to carry it in our selves. When i finally saw the reception area/lounge which was the size of 3 cars parked side to side, surrounded by a very mouldy, dirty and GREEN - with the surrounding plants, lawn and trees overgrown and untidy - my heart sank. I literally felt like i had been conned into staying in a dump like this when i had paid EUR250/per night!
We didnt actually check in - as we were shown to our room - which was when i literally felt like sitting and crying my eyes out! The first impression was - what on earth is that smell. The room reeked of mould and stale, and also an unpleasant smell i could not describe. The room literally had no space to open my suit case. It was done up nicely with flowers all over etc etc. But I noticed many problems one after another.
The sink was leaky, the bathroom window had a view of rotten wood/junk/dump. When morning finally came, thinking things couldnt get any worse - i was told kosher/halal sausages were not available - we had actually given our preference before the booking was made about this particular subject! We had been Assured by Alexandra that it will not be a problem. So we were paying for breakfast that we werent even going to have.
After consulting the manager/chef, who was so rude - telling me there was NOTHING he could do, and it was out of his hands. You can understand how angry i was. Demanding to speak to the manager - i was told no one was available and were in a meeting.
After 5 hours, I finally spoke to Alexander - who agreed to transfer us to the less luxurious Ocean Villa's, And were also invited to the hotel dinner. They did not accept the room stank.
We spent 6 days here, and the rest at Hilton Mauritius which was EUR50 cheaper and MUCH MUCH nicer.

I will NEVER return to Ocean Beauty. I will put up pictures - so you know that you're actually being robbed off your money which you can use to stay at the 5 star Hilton. Dont go by the pics they have on their web site.
Date of stay: December 2008
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1.0 of 5 bubblesValue
1.0 of 5 bubblesRooms
1.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
1.0 of 5 bubblesCleanliness
1.0 of 5 bubblesService
Ocean-PR, Owner and Manager at Ocean Beauty, responded to this review
Responded 13 Apr 2009
Feedback on guests’ holiday experience are important for us and certainly welcome. However, we would like to put clear some points for the benefit of future guests:

Ocean Beauty is a small hotel, with only 9 rooms total onsite. The deluxe room is small in size, cosy at 25 m2. Certainly, the room is smaller in comparison to our suites (50m2), however we did not want to compromise to the benefit of a large king size (2m x 2m) bed.

Indeed, the guests have complained of the bad smell in the room to me. We are very sensitive to this and keeping a watchful eye. Luckily, it is not a recurrent smell. Actually we suspect that it may be due to the recent rains in the humid December season. We have taken this seriously and have immediately changed all soft furnishings and curtains in the room.

Ocean Beauty signage located at gate entrance on Pointe d’Azur Lane. Hotel is small and indeed there is no parking inside the hotel compound. This is mentioned clearly in the fact sheet at booking. Car parking is ok in the private Pointe d’Azur lane and our security on duty regularly do patrol checks.

There is a fish pond around the reception lounge at entrance, cleaned and maintained once a week, outsourced to a professional biologist with experience. There are more than 60 bright Japanese koi fishes of 2-3 generations, and fish feeding every morning is a delight shared by many in-house guests.

We are surprised that clients found the grounds overgrown and untidy, as there is a full time gardener (Rajesh) onsite everyday, and who has been working at hotel since opening. We are stunned by this comment, because to date, we have received compliments on overall landscaping of the grounds and manicured garden which boast over 30 varieties of endemic botany.

The rate of the deluxe room during peak Xmas period for the deluxe room is EUR 200 (and not EUR 250) per night for 2 persons including breakfast. For the benefit of the fellow readers, our rates are on average at EUR 120 for 2 inclusive of room service breakfast but higher during Xmas and New Year period.

Our apologies on behalf of the Chef regarding the chicken sausages. No excuse however for the rude response from the staff.

Our efforts for an immediate solution have been sincere, we are glad they have enjoyed the remainder of their stay with us and in Mauritius.

Alexandra
  • Expedia.com
    R 3 089
0.9 km from Ocean Beauty
View more hotels in Pereybere
All reviews every morning nice swimming pool baie mauritius ocean
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 February 2009

My husband and I chose this place hoping to enjoy the intimate feeling of a small boutique hotel but were very disappointed. To be fair there were some positives but at the high season rate (at 2.5 times the normal rates) that we had to pay in advance in full there was this nasty feeling of being trapped.

The positives:
(1) Quiet and calm
(2) Large rooms
(3) Owner willing to change our room after 2 nights because of the moldy musty smell in the room.

The negatives
(1) We came into a hotel where we not welcomed except for the kind security guard who let us in.
(2) The room was stinky, and especially when the air-conditioning was turned on. Seemed like odors from the bathroom that smelt like a dumpster were coming in. The area neighboring the hotel is a large dumping ground. We were worried about contracting respiratory problems particularly when we noticed the date for the filter change on the air-conditioning was long over due. We decided to sleep without air conditioning and under our mosquito net that we brought. We had no one to complain to but the security guard who eventually managed to tell the owner who said we should just stay where we were for 2 nights as there was no other room available.
(3) The next day at breakfast, that sounds promising, I was horrified to find that upon examining the toasts, they were MOLDY. After bringing it to the attention of the receptionist we were told we would be compensated in some way but of course there was no follow-up.
(4) The receptionist Natalie is the most unpleasant person I have encountered in the hotel industry. For one, she never greeted us and even when to the extent of telling us that we should be in our rooms all day so we could move our own stuff and since we weren't they simply moved all our stuff out without letting us know. She was fully aware that I had asked in the morning to know when we should prepare to move and had not received an answer. I had to actually let her know that WE were on holiday and we should be able to follow our own schedules and not hers! I am so glad I will never have to see her again.
(5) Our move to the new room was much appreciated and it did not smell and was in fact bigger. Unfortunately, we found 2 cockroaches on 2 separated days in the bathroom. Rather disgusting! Decided to store our toothbrushes in the fridge.
(6) Came back one night after dinner and waited outside for over 15 min in the dark as there was no one coming to open the gate. Guests can not enter on their own but need to be allowed in by the guard. Upset, my partner jumped over the gate and let me in. We were horrified to see the security guard sleeping on one of the armchairs. He did not even move when we walked past him. One of the other guests tried to wake him up but he just went back to sleep on another chair! Fortunately nothing happened during our stay but I would warn others that if your safety is placed in the hands of a sleeping guard then just beware!
(7) Finally, upon preparing to leave we had absolutely no one mention anything especially at the reception. But what can one expect, we paid in full and clearly this hotel is not counting on us returning. Somehow goodwill is completely overlooked.

I would therefore warn anyone, who, like me did extensive research to find a nice place in Mauritius, to avoid this hotel. There is really not much of a beach in front of the hotel. The public beach was always overcrowded while we were there. There is no free access to water sports. Given the high room rates, I find this really disappointing. The area in front of the hotel is not very pleasant. There is however a really nice Thai restaurant Wang Thai that we frequented and were treated extremely well by the owner. I am relieved that we cut short our stay at Ocean Beauty and Ocean Villas when I realized that when we were suggested a room in Ocean Villas for the first part of our stay because Ocean Beauty was full, the staff were not even going to provide a free transfer to their sister hotel which is about 5 min away by car. It certainly made me think of the other comments that were posted about Ocean Villas and the management. Good thing was we had a terrific time at Casuarina Hotel as a result and perhaps we became spoilt by their hospitality.

Date of stay: January 2009
3  Thank Traveller200756
Reviewed 22 January 2009

My best friend was getting married in Mauritius in November 08 and their wedding party was staying in a 5* all inclusive hotel in the south of the island. This was beyond our price range and I stumbled across Ocean Beauty through Trip Advisor and it definitely offers you an alternative to the big hotels. As we were in the standard room (Tek Tek opposite the reception on the ground floor) we were not able to have the package (dinner/massage etc) which was a real shame (we did try to get it but to no avail) but I felt that our room was great value and felt boutique chic. The beds were massive, we had white fluffy towels and bose system in the bathroom playing zen like music.

We organised the airport transfer through the hotels and our taxi man was fantastic. He gave us lots of info and tips on Mauritius and he also got us a bottle of water as we didn’t have any change. When we got to Ocean Beauty we settled in the open foyer and were given a fruit platter, drinks and hot towels. We used their shower room and then had to wait until the afternoon to check in which was annoying but we knew this was the case prior to arrival. So we strolled into Grand Bay which was not a wise idea as the roads aren’t that good. The bus was so cheap and we ended up using that instead. Grand Bay had plenty of restaurants and a couple of bars which sufficed if you were after a chilled holiday.

The hotel was lovely. Our room had petals dotted all over and it felt very romantic. The shower/big bath was fantastic, the storage was great and the safe was def good to have. The walls were a little thin but I tend to sleep with ear plugs so wasn’t bothered - really depend on the type of neighbours you have :-) The fridge was useful to store our water which was replaced on a daily basis (as well as we bought lots from the supermarket over the road). We learnt from others that the shop opposite the hotel has everything - on first view it didn’t look this way but apparently they keep everything out back so just ask.

The breakfast was very exciting as you can just order as much as you like from the menu. Sometimes they didn’t get the order quite right but it didn’t really matter. The eggs were good, the pancakes were delicious and the fruit we stored in the fridge for lunch. We had breakfast on the beach once which was stunning but usually had it on our patio. We overslept one morning and called them around 11.30 and they still brought us breakfast.

The grounds are well maintained and the pool area was beautiful and clean. Towards the end of our stay we did struggle to get a sun lounger so we popped down to the beach and laid on the hard sand until loungers became available. The pool was lovely and the underwater music was very novel. The view was stunning and the sea was fantastic. We went snorkeling as part of our hotel package and saw lots of fish and my boyfriend went water skiing (all for free). From the pool area you can walk down to the sea, there is still sand and a mini beach to use. You can see the local Pereybere beach from the pool area and you could see all the locals enjoying the beach, esp at the weekend when it got v. crowded.

Don’t book anything through the hotel, even if it seems easy, as we went to my friends wedding in the south and they quoted us a cab around £50 one way. We booked a taxi from the street the night before for £33! Also the tours are cheaper (and found everywhere) in Grand Bay and Pereybere. We took a tour to Ile aux Cerfs, which was a nice day and great value considering it included transfer and lunch.

The hotel’s small size provided a real intimate setting and the staff were helpful albeit on occasions illusive. The people staying at the resort at the time were really friendly and we tended to find out about good restaurants and activities through each other (opposed to the staff). We all benefited from the trial free bar and enjoyed a few rums and vodkas during our stay. The security guards were always on patrol (even though it didn’t feel unsafe outside the resort).

I think if you want pure luxury and just to laze around all the time then 5* all inclusive may be up your alley but for me and my boyfriend (28) Oceans Beauty was perfect. It offered great value yet a contemporary boutique style hotel and a wonderful place to relax as well as a base to explore from.

Date of stay: November 2008
Reviewed 7 January 2009

First of all we booked through a travel agent and were told it was a minimum 10 night stay. We stayed 8 of those 10 we paid for. So, if some one gives you that line, call the hotel direct to book.
Mauritius is VERY, VERY hot in December, January. The pool was bathtub temperature and no relief from the heat. The room air conditioners are inadequate to cool the room during the high humidity and high tempurature days. The lighting in the rooms is very poor. Our friends room was a closet and our room small. Our bathroom was very nice and large, but hot.
There is no place on premise to buy a beer, cold or warm. They do offer wine, but you must first buy a card, which when I was there was not an option because they couldn't set up the card. There is no night manager on premise only a guard who is very limited as to what he can do.
Breakfast was overrated. There was alot of food but tasteless. DO NOT get the eggs benedict, yuk! The cheese omlets had about a teaspoon of grated cheese. Fruit plate was the best. How can you screw that up? The only place to eat your breakfast or dinner at the hotel is on the sand, ocean side of the pool or your patio/balcony. The birds attack you or mosquitos,
The location of the hotel is near the public beach and although the beach is beautiful in front of the hotel, the small space is most assuredly taken up by stragglers from the overrun of the public beach.
The good part was a friendly staff, champagne by the pool, ocean front, beautiful grounds, small intimate and clean, unlike the rest of the island.
I suppose you could call it romantic if you already have stars in your eyes. I thought the entire island was boring and dirty. Nice people though.

Date of stay: December 2008
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank PresumedMissing
Reviewed 1 December 2008

Ocean Beauty is a small boutique hotel in the little village of Pereybere about 3 min drive from Grand Baie. The staff were excellent (particularly Prakash and the receptionist with glasses). We stayed in the Nautilus suite - one of the junior suites. It was simply stunning with direct view out over the pool onto the ocean (and the sunset). It even had a second small bedroom and jacuzzi bath. Some of the room finishes could have been better, but overall it's an incredible upmarket B&B.

Our 'Love at first sight' package included a beautiful 5-course sunset dinner and plenty of freebies: speedboat trip at sunset (we saw dolphins, totally unforgettable), snorkelling, speedboat transfer to grand baie, massages and large ring ride across the bay. They would cost a fortune separately and it was great just having reception confirm them all without having to haggle

Some tips:
-there isn't much nightlife life in Mauritius. Grand Baie next door has some bars and restaurants and Pereybere has some small restaurants but is very quiet on the whole. The Thai restaurant opposite is great and very cheap and Don Camillo and the chinese (in front almost of Ocean Villas - sister hotel), both in Grand Baie, are brilliant. Banana bar in grand baie is good and open late. avoid the argentine grill bar nearby
-Location: my girlfriend and I searched for hours on the web for the right hotel, price and location. Ocean Beauty is great for a base and near enough to some great beaches (though better are to be found in Asia). Stay in the north if you can as the weather is worse in many of the other parts of the island. Having seen even the 5-star hotels elsewhere on the island we wouldn't have wanted to stay anywhere else
-Places to visit: Ile aux Cerfs is incredible, Le Morne is stunning, La Cuvette (beach next to Royal Palm hotel on way out of Grand Baie is a hidden gem. The capital is not worth it
-try not to get stung by the Euro charged by the hotel room rate. For Brits, it hurts..
-buy a snorkel (and rubber shoes for the coral) set from hypermarket in Grand Baie so you don't get ripped off locally. We swam several times in the sea outside the hotel and ended up with a giant turtle. Twice.
-The weather was good for nearly two weeks solidly, then for 48 hours poured at the end. Literally. It took the shine off an otherwise beautiful holiday
-For all that it is, the dream of Mauritius maybe doesn't live up to the hype. We went to Thailand the year before and the people were incredible, beaches (but not the murky sea), food and weather better, not to mention incredible value-for-money

Date of stay: October 2008
3  Thank Benny175
Reviewed 10 October 2008

Ocean Beauty is a small hotel located in Pereybere which is about 5 -10 mins drive from Grand Baie. The property itself is really small...but well set out to try to get the most from the limited space!!

We had a deluxe room with an ocean view.....really beautiful view out over the pool to the ocean. The staff were very helpful and friendly, however there seemed to be quite a few occasions when we couldn't seem to find anyone in reception when we needed to ask a question about something which we found a bit frustrating!!

It would probably be helpful on checking in to be told information such as reception opening hours (on Sundays they only stay open til 4, 4:30pm) and an information booklet in the room with suggestions for activities such as boat trips, horseriding, water skiing etc would be really helpful as theres not much info at all in reception (and the reception people weren't around to ask!!).

Other things to be aware of is that there are limited restaurants in Pereybere itself and the walk into Grand Baie is a bit far and can be dangerous due to the crazy drivers and bits where there is no shoulder to get off onto when a car passes. Also very dark at night....we tried!!

The hotel also didn't seem to have any free water sports which was a shame....just a couple of kayaks and some snorkelling equipment would really enhance the stay i think, seeing as many other hotels offered this and that you are out of town.

The rooms were nice and spacious and very well set out. The rain shower was great...and we loved the kitch swimming pool which played music underwater!! very funny!! there was also a switch which played relaxing music in your room which was nice too.

The best thing about this accommodation was definately the breakfasts...you could order as much you liked off the menu and then it was served either on your balcony or on the beach...the staff member who served the breakfast was really really good...very friendly and also tried to serve the food quickly.

Date of stay: October 2008