“Doesn't live up to its reputation.”
Review of Steirereck

Steirereck
Ranked #39 of 4 634 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Austrian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Inner City
Description: One of the most famous gourmet restaurants of the city can be found in one of the most beautiful parts of Vienna, in the middle of the Stadtpark and on the banks of the river: the Steiereck and its sister establishment, the Meierei next door.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

When friends heard we were visiting Vienna, Steirereck's name came up in every conversation as being a must go-to dining destination and thus, go we did.

A beautiful contemporary structure set in Stadtpark, we entered happily and with the complacent air of world travellers expecting to be very well taken care of. Our expectations immediately fell short. We were welcomed by a distracted, aloof young man and taken to our table. Everything I write in this review, though I'm choosing my words thoughtfully, may come across as a tad "precious" and I probably would not have been so particular if we were not dining at what is supposed to be one of the world's great restaurants and paying accordingly too.

It was a good several minutes before any server came to our table, gave us a rushed explanation of the restaurant's dining philosophy and then left us again. We waited for several more minutes then flagged down a waiter to ask for menus. It was lunch time and though the restaurant rapidly filled up later, at that time, it was quiet so we were rather bemused by the lack of service.
The maitre'd noticed our raised eyebrows and us having to flag down a waiter and then service progressed much smoother. A group of well-heeled Austrians entered and were welcomed with much ado. Perhaps regular clients and it was lovely to see the bonhomie. The rest of the tables seemed to be full of tourists, many with a bewildering array of expensive photography paraphernalia, who took more time photographing their food than eating it. Each to his own though.

Regarding the food itself. Inventive? yes. An homage to Austrian cuisine and heritage? yes. Delicious? hit and miss. Many dishes failed to amplify in the palate. The Char with Beeswax was stunningly presented but tasted utterly bland. Its accompanying sour cream, char caviar, basil cress, etc. failing to provide any lift but the Viennese Wedding Soup's consomme was perfectly made; hence, even though it tasted bland, it could not be faulted. The Poppy-seed 'noodles' with damson ice-cream sounded divine but utterly failed to live up to their promise. The noodles were stodgy and sank in the stomach. The Medlar, Violets and Crepes were fine though not memorable enough to return for. The Sunflower Seed Souffle though was superb! Now that was a dish that hit all the notes, that created a symphony of taste and sensation in one's mouth.

A very pleasant waiter talked us through the Marie-Therese dessert experience with humour and affable professionalism. His was the only world-class service experience we had the entire time. The girl who brought round the bread trolley was so bored and boring in the way she rattled off the variety of the breads' names that we refused to reward her disinterested patter with our attention and skipped the bread trolley. The Marie-Therese creations were a perfect summation of the Steirereck experience. Excellent build-up that failed to deliver on taste.

I can easily see why tourists will continue to flock here with their cameras but for those of us with a discerning palate who want food to taste as good as it looks and who are used to being treated a certain way (as we delightfully were from the moment we entered Silvio Nickol the following day for dinner), we do not recommend it nor shall we ever bother returning.

4  Thank Discerning-S
Write a ReviewReviews (1 636)

26 - 30 of 1 637 reviews

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We had a couples weekend escape and we headed to Vienna for Andrea Boccelli’s concert, a nice dinner at Michelin 2 star Steirereck and two night at lovely Sans souci hotel. Wonderful all in all, but let’s get to reviewing this restaurant.

Location is fantastic as it is in a small park along a stream/river/canal. Restaurant has to floors, upstairs is the starred restaurant and downstairs a bistro style restaurant. We headed upstairs.

We were received in to a welcoming atmosphere with calm Scandinavian decor. We were lead to our table and along with a class of champagne came the menu. The first surprise to me and my wife who both have travelled and dined world over we did not understand much of the dégustation menu. With the help of Mr Google we figured that we have a journey into loads of local veggies and fish with the standard second main of red meat. There were two choices for most dishes hence we picked one choice each.

Why the title “acquired taste”? That because of chefs fondness for acidity. There were lost of vinegars and of sources of acidity. We were not very fond of it.

As for the 2 stars the ingredients were local specialities some even brought back from extinction grown in their own garden, fish from the local rivers and lakes with names of anglers and so forth, immaculate.

One can nothing but appreciate the care and diligence in choosing the ingredients but did I like what was prepared from those, not particularly. The 7 course menu lacked the emotion, if I did not have the dish cards describing in detail what was on the plate after two weeks the only thing I remember from the experience were the two “wagons” one for the breads and the other for the cheeses.

One should not discount the cultural aspects of fine dining which is naturally taking the inspiration from local traditional stable foods in the region and refining it to perfection. I am sure Steirereck’s food pays great hommage to Austrian food culture but it did not meet my tastebuds optimally, maybe it was the acidity that overpowered the delicate ingredients. When it comes the the matched wine menu I learned that Austria has taken leaps in red wine quality as they had some fabulous red’s.

Do I recommend Steirereck? For the 600€ cost for dinner for two I could list number of places to go to instead, none of them though in Vienna. You better go and be your own judge and the jury.

1  Thank AXA66
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We decided to reserve the number one restaurant in Austria for our very important business partner. We wanted to make it the perfect business day, after a very good meeting.
It is the culinary temple in Austria and this can already be seen from the outside when arriving. The location is unique in the middle of the Stadtpark.
We had a room for us, as we were 12 persons for dinner.
The food was exceptional from the beginning with the amuse bouche greeting from the kitchen. Even with very good restaurant experience the Steirereck is still another world of culinary enjoyment. We had 7 courses accompanied with very nice wine. Our business partners and we enjoyed the dinner very very much and the best was just the right choice! Of course such exceptional experience has its price, but it was worth it.

1  Thank TomNeuwirth
Reviewed 25 March 2018

I read a lot of reviews here and thought carefully about what I wanted to say. My conclusion is that we each have our own perception of the experience at Steireck, and clearly for most of the reviewers here, it's been a great experience. However, while our party enjoyed the dinner, we didn't think it kicked the goals that its reputation suggests it should.

On the upside: lovely location, spacious, peaceful dining room. Menu explainer cards were great, bread service (and later the cheese service) was very impressive. Matched wines were fun, and some of the dishes were very good - in fact they seemed to get better as the meal progressed. Pre-booking experience was professional and helpful too.

On the downside: the local flavours may not be heroes to every international guests pallet, so for us some dishes just seemed "OK." That's not a criticism of the kitchen, it's more a criticism of us and our expectations in a way. More frustratingly, some of the plating looked decidedly average, and service was patchy. e.g. when the Maitre d was talking to us she was interrupted by a colleague and broke off to respond to them. Unless there's a fire, that is plain wrong. OK it sounds "precious" to say that, but we are talking about what is meant to be one of the world's great restaurants here.

Steirereck has a great reputation, and dining here does not come cheap. I think I just expected a little more. Definitely enjoyed our visit - was a lovely evening - but feel for us on the night it was four stars, not five.

3  Thank Jay E
Reviewed 24 March 2018

this restaurant deserves its rating for everything! the restaurant building is so modern and nice. the food is fabulous. the service is of a world class level. I ordered the 7 courses and it was so tasty everything is so fresh and delicious. The bread service, wine selection, flexibility and facilities were all top notch. I Highly recommend spending the money at this restaurant.