“Not quite expected hospitality ”
Review of Cafe Opernring

Cafe Opernring
Ranked #3 863 of 4 768 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Austrian
Neighbourhood: Inner City
Neighbourhood: Inner City
Reviewed 12 September 2018 via mobile

Food is average, but behaviour leaves a lot to be desired. My 2 year old son got a bit more fidgety than usual and started playing with the salt dispenser. The cafe lady came and told us that such behaviour was hurting business and was unacceptable! She completely ignored the fact that it was just a two year old behaving just like a two year old should! In hospitality, rather such behaviour is unacceptable..

Reviewed 25 July 2018

Had bacon and eggs for breakfast was average. Ordered orange juice which cost €6.80 ridiculous price!

Reviewed 7 July 2018 via mobile

I don't know which café some other reviewers have been to, but we paid several visits and were never disappointed. Two of us got quite addicted to the apple strudel with vanilla sauce - in fact, it became a bit of a standing joke by the end of the week!
After seeing what some other customers got when they ordered a full meal, we decided to go one night and have something more substantial than the coffee and cake that we've usually had. I had bratwurst with sauerkraut and fried potatoes - very generous portions and the potatoes weren't at all greasy. We had a bottle of a gorgeous Austrian Riesling which we enjoyed so much that we bought one to bring home.
The staff were unfailingly pleasant and polite. In fact, despite the often heard complaint that waiting staff in Vienna are rude, I've yet to come across one of these mythical creatures. I suggest smiling and talking to them like ordinary people - think how you would feel if someone treated you like a part of the furniture. They can be quite no-nonsense and don't go all around the houses, but as a northern lass myself I'm used to the direct approach - don't expect a lot of bowing and scraping.
The prices are more reasonable than the Naschmarkt, which was definitely more expensive this year than previously.
We had to wait about 15 minutes for a table outside one day, but we were invited to sit inside rather than standing around, and we had a look at the menu while we were waiting so really didn't lose any time. I must also give credit to the waitress on that day, who dashed off to get me a glass of water when I started coughing because of the dry atmosphere and couldn't stop. She was really kind and quite concerned.

Reviewed 6 June 2018

For no other reason, we stopped here because this restaurant was between point A and point B in our day of exploring another part of Vienna. It had shady outdoor seating and Wienerschnitzel. Our waitress was wonderful as she patiently answered many of our questions and advised us on our final selections, including our wine. We ordered a salad and one schnitzel to share. The food was great and what we expected. So with our belly's full we were ready to pay the check and get walking again. Well, they do not take credit cards. We were able to scrounge up enough Euros to cover our tab and leave a tip. They have free WiFi and clean bathrooms.

Reviewed 15 April 2018

We revisited this café bar in April 2018 for drinks and its a nice place with good quality bier, however the 2 women working that afternoon were a bit surly and unfriendly and rather impolite and somewhat lacking manners despite being tipped. I don't know if I'll return again?